Movies Seen In 2016

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Danny99, Jan 5, 2016.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

1) The Revenant (2015) - B+
    2) Room (2015) - A
    3) Tomorrowland (2015) - C
    4) Deadpool (2016) - B-

I had a lot of fun with this movie. It was entertaining and the breaking the fourth wall stuff was nice. It wasn't the best comic book movie in the world, but for an hour and 40 minutes, it was entertaining.

Theater (3)
    TV/Netflix (1)

2. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Streaming Service
    Television Broadcast
    DVD

January: http://fardell24b.tumblr.com/post/138634841415/movie-reviews-2016-january

5 Age of the Dragons
    A film that is literally 'Moby Dick with Dragons'. The plot and characters (even the ship name) are there. But not much of what makes Moby Dick a great novel. 3.5/10.

6 Pacific Rim
    A film about fighting gigantic monsters that emerge from a rift on the bottom of the Pacific ocean (hence the name). A good look at the effect such a scenario would have on the people who would be fighting that kind of threat. 8/10.

7 Inception
    Dreams. Layers of dreams. What is real? Dreams within dreams. How many stories, within stories? Inception, the creation of an idea. Also a movie about stealing from the subconcious mind of others.
    Quite confusing, but well presented. 8/10.

8 Meet the Robinsons
    Rewatch. A Disney movie based on A Day with Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce. An interesting film about a young orphan who wants to find his real mother. Instead, he finds a best friend who turns out to be his son! An interesting take on the time travel movie. 8.5/10.

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Got to see GalaxyQuest on a theater screen for the first time earlier tonight, thanks to the Alan Rickman memorial screenin' event at the Alamo Drafthouse - Richardson. Proceeds from the ticket sales went to pancreatic cancer research.

I won't be addin' it to my list, since I've seen the movie on VHS, DVD, blu ray & Netflix over the years...

4. craftytechy

craftytechy Cadet Newbie

The Martian - Its Amazing and its picture effects.
    Jurassic Park - Still awesome. Wife had never seen it, liked it better than World.
    Home - Movie was only good for first time watch ,but overall was ok.

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Stephen Fry: More Fool Me (2014) - Netflix Instant
    An Ideal Husband (1999) - Netflix Instant
    The Importance of Being Earnest (2002) - Netflix Instant
    The Hateful Eight - theater
    Man on Wire - Netflix Instant
    The Walk - DVD
    The Martian - DVD
    Drumline: A New Beat - Netflix Instant
    Stephen King's Thinner - Netflix Instant
    Swamp Thing - HuluPlus
    Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension - DVD
    Sleeping with Other People - DVD
    Jesse Stone: Lost in Paradise - DVD
    Batman: Bad Blood - DVD
    Straight Outta Compton - DVD
    Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - DVD
    Deadpool - Alamo Drafthouse
    Crimson Peak - DVD
    Steve Jobs - DVD
    Black Mass - DVD
    The Bucket List - Netflix Instant
    Doctor Who: The Husbands of River Song - DVD

Watched TBL the other day, before leavin' for Dallas. Didn't much care for it.

Picked up the DVD for the latest Doctor Who Christmas special on my way back from Dallas yesterday, watched it last night.

It wasn't as good as I had hoped, though I did enjoy Peter Capaldi's Doctor showin' his enjoyment in his dealin' with Alex Kingston's River, and how she acted away from the Doctor, as far as she knew...

Plus, Alex Kingston this series is always awesome.

It was a nice wrap up, more or less, of River's story, too.

6. USS Fardell

DVD
    Streaming Service
    Television Broadcast

January: http://fardell24b.tumblr.com/post/138634841415/movie-reviews-2016-january

5 Age of the Dragons
    A film that is literally 'Moby Dick with Dragons'. The plot and characters (even the ship name) are there. But not much of what makes Moby Dick a great novel. 3.5/10.

6 Pacific Rim
    A film about fighting gigantic monsters that emerge from a rift on the bottom of the Pacific ocean (hence the name). A good look at the effect such a scenario would have on the people who would be fighting that kind of threat. 8/10.

7 Inception

Dreams. Layers of dreams. What is real? Dreams within dreams. How many stories, within stories? Inception, the creation of an idea. Also a movie about stealing from the subconcious mind of others.

Quite confusing, but well presented. 8/10.

8 Meet the Robinsons
    Rewatch. A Disney movie based on A Day with Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce. An interesting film about a young orphan who wants to find his real mother. Instead, he finds a best friend who turns out to be his son! An interesting take on the time travel movie. 8.5/10.

9 X-Men (2000)
    Rewatch. A movie based on the Marvel X-Men comics. Mutants are everywhere and there are individuals in the United States government who would want to control them. An interesting beginning to the X-Men series as we meet Rogue and Wolverine who are drawn into the fight between different Mutant factions. 8.5/10.

7. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman: Bad Blood (8/10)
    Deadpool (9/10)
    Evangelion 3.0: You Can [Not] Redo (8/10)
    The Hateful Eight (9/10)
    Tremors 5: Bloodlines (5/10)

Recently Seen:

Expelled From Paradise (9/10)

Running Total:

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Steve Jobs - On Demand - I watched Steve Jobs last night and overall I liked it. It's always hard watching a film, based on a public figure you sort of admire. Michael Fassbender did a pretty good job as Steve Jobs, Kate Winslet was fantastic as Joanna Hoffman. However Seth Rogen was horrible as Steve Wozniak, he took me out of the movie every single time he was on screen. Thankfully it wasn't that much! However the best parts of the movie was when Fassbenders Jobs and Jeff Daniels John Sculley were on screen together. I actually rather the whole movie was about them two.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Walk - DVD
    The Martian - DVD
    Swamp Thing - HuluPlus
    Crimson Peak - DVD
    Steve Jobs - DVD
    Black Mass - DVD
    Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison - Netflix Instant
    Spotlight - DVD
    The Good Dinosaur - DVD

Watched an old Robert Mitchum movie on my dad's birthday the other night. Its a WWII story about a U.S. Marine who washes up on the shore of an island in the South Pacific. Once on the island, he finds a lone nun, and learns that the Japanese have been there, conscripted the villagers into service & took any white people prisoner. The Marine & the nun then have to get along together while trying to find a way off the island.

There is a bit of a cliché in the story, but I'm glad it didn' go a route that it could have, and even may have these days.

Rented a couple of DVDs last night from Hasting's, already watched 'em both.

The Best Picture winner was a hell of a good movie, and the cast was just incredible.

The Pixar movie isn't the best of that studio's library, but it was still pretty good.

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Zootopia - IMAX 3D - I got to see Zootopia in IMAX 3D yesterday, it continues the run of fantastic animation movies put out by Disney Animation. This is probably their most ambitious film yet, with a timely message about prejudice. While the message is front and center, its done in a very organic way. The friendship forged by Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde is the heart of the story, the voice work is fantastic especially Ginnifer Goodwin as Hopps. There are two very funny Frozen reference that really made me laugh, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

11. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman: Bad Blood (8/10)
    Deadpool (9/10)
    Evangelion 3.0: You Can [Not] Redo (8/10)
    Expelled From Paradise (9/10)
    The Hateful Eight (9/10)
    Tremors 5: Bloodlines (5/10)

Recently Seen:

The Boy and the Beast (8/10)

Running Total:

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Krampus ⍟ ⍟

This wasn't anywhere near the level of fun as Trick 'R Treat. Maybe it could have worked as a short film, but it was too terribly long and boring.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Walk - DVD
    The Martian - DVD
    Swamp Thing - HuluPlus
    Crimson Peak - DVD
    Steve Jobs - DVD
    Black Mass - DVD
    Spotlight - DVD
    The Good Dinosaur - DVD
    The Night Before - DVD
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - Alamo Drafthouse

Took two rentals back to Hasting's last night, got two more. Watched one, but not the other yet.

TNB was alright, not great, though. Some good jokes, and didn't care much for Michael Shannon's character, or the twist for him at the end. Too many references to other Christmas movies, really. And far too many dick pics.

I had to take my nephew to Dallas for his summer league basketball practice. Decided to add a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse to the list of stuff to do. I let him pick, from London Has Fallen, Gods of Egypt & Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. He chose WTF.

I enjoyed it, there was some good, gallows humor, and a nice cast. Not something that has to be seen on a theater screen, but still, its what the kid wanted to see.

14. USS Fardell

DVD
    Streaming Service
    Television Broadcast

February: http://fardell24b.tumblr.com/post/140315860090/february-movie-reviews

10 X-Men 2
    Rewatch. The second movie based on the Marvel X-Men comics. The existence of Mutants is still a contentious issue. A military scientist plots to destroy them. Various events occur as the X-Men and Magneto team up to stop him. An interesting look at the lengths that some would go to deal with a real or perceived threat. It is as good as the previous outing. 8.5/10.

11 X- Men The Last Stand
    Rewatch. The third movie based on the Marvel X-Men comics. A pharmaceutical company has developed a 'cure' for 'being a mutant'. Magneto takes advantage of the unrest that this causes to gain followers in order to combat the problem at it's source. A good look at the problems that the revelation of such a 'cure' would cause. But it's not as good as the previous outings. 8/10.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Walk - DVD
    The Martian - DVD
    Swamp Thing - HuluPlus
    Crimson Peak - DVD
    Steve Jobs - DVD
    Black Mass - DVD
    Spotlight - DVD
    The Good Dinosaur - DVD
    The Night Before - DVD
    The Last Witch Hunter - DVD
    10 Cloverfield Lane - theater

I rented TLWH from Hasting's last week, my brother in law wanted to see it. He & my sister fell asleep watchin' it. I watched it for myself. It wasn't too terrible...Michael Caine was more or less wasted, and I was kinda surprised the Elijah Wood was in it at all. Vin Diesel was his usual self.

Took my younger nephew & a friend of his to the theater in Nacogdoches this afternoon. While they went to Gods of Egypt, I went to the see 10 Cloverfield Lane. John Goodman is always awesome. And the movie was pretty good, overall, too. It is not a direct sequel to Cloverfield, but if they were written stories rather than movies, they would easily be in an anthology collection together.

16. USS Fardell

DVD
    Streaming Service
    Television Broadcast

January:http://fardell24b.tumblr.com/post/138634841415/movie-reviews-2016-january
    February: http://fardell24b.tumblr.com/post/140315860090/february-movie-reviews

10 X-Men 2
    Rewatch. The second movie based on the Marvel X-Men comics. The existence of Mutants is still a contentious issue. A military scientist plots to destroy them. Various events occur as the X-Men and Magneto team up to stop him. An interesting look at the lengths that some would go to deal with a real or perceived threat. It is as good as the previous outing. 8.5/10.

11 X- Men The Last Stand
    Rewatch. The third movie based on the Marvel X-Men comics. A pharmaceutical company has developed a 'cure' for 'being a mutant'. Magneto takes advantage of the unrest that this causes to gain followers in order to combat the problem at it's source. A good look at the problems that the revelation of such a 'cure' would cause. But it's not as good as the previous outings. 8/10.

12 Do You Believe?
    Do you believe? That is the question. It is a question that touches the lives of 12 different people as they are contronted by the Cross of Jesus Christ as they go about their lives. Over a few days some of the people are shaken by various events and the kindness of strangers. A very moving film about how God can work in mysterious ways, through circumstances and His people. It shows how the actions of Christians being lead by the Spirit can make a difference in people's lives. A very frenetic pace, but easy to follow.

13 Man of Steel
    Rewatch. A Superman origin film and the beginning of the new DC Cinematic Universe. Clark Kent is searching for meaning in a world he has struggled to deal with all his life. While on this search, he crosses paths with a reporter, Lois Lane who is researching the good deads he has performed. This is interrupted when General Zod, a criminal from his home planet, attacks Earth. A good movie, realistically depicting the alienation one would feel when one grows up different from those around them.
    The motivations of Clark, Lois, Zod and others are also well depicted. A certain scene near the end doesn't negate the character growth of Clark (IMO). 8.5/10.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  17. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Walk - DVD
    The Martian - DVD
    Swamp Thing - HuluPlus
    Crimson Peak - DVD
    Steve Jobs - DVD
    Black Mass - DVD
    Spotlight - DVD
    The Good Dinosaur - DVD
    The Night Before - DVD
    The Warriors (1979) - Netflix Instant
    Wayne's World - Netflix Instant
    Johnny English - Netflix Instant
    Spy Hard - Netflix Instant
    Zootopia 2D - theater
    Creed - DVD
    Legend - DVD

Had a movie marathon last weekend, thanks to Netflix.

TW was alright, for a '70s movie. The best thing about it was the themes to the different gangs of New York.

WW was all kinds of dumb. I can't believe it got a sequel. It was fine for a Saturday Night Live skit, but not a whole movie.

JE and SH were both stupid parodies of the James Bond franchise. And the dinosaurs at the end of Spy Hard came out of freakin' nowhere! What the hell?!?

Got the first paycheck from my new job Tuesday, and celebrated by takin' everyone to the movies. We saw the latest animated from Disney, which was actually pretty damn funny. We all enjoyed it. Kinda bummed there wasn't an animated short, but damn, did they show a lot of trailers!

Used a coupon at Hasting's this afternoon, picked up a couple of DVDs, thanks to "rent one, get one".

C was pretty damn good, considerin' Rocky Balboa would have been a fine finale for the franchise. This one works just as well, but I've heard there may be a sequel to it, so, yeah...

Watchin' Tom Hardy's dual role as Ron & Reggie Kray, twin London gangsters in the 1960s, now. Its pretty good, so far, but, damn, the British slang...good thing I've got subtitles turned on or I'd be lost!

Got a plan to see The Ten Commandments at the Fathom Events screenin' at the Cinemark tomorrow.

18. tomalak301

2) Room (2015) - A
    4) Deadpool (2016) - B-
    5) Zootopia (2016) - B+

What a funny movie this was. What interesting timing it was to bring out a movie like this too considering this being election season and the message it was trying to convey. I didn't find it too heavy handed, but I can see why someone might. Still, it was a very solid outing from Disney Animation and I still think the DMV scene might be the funniest scene I see all year in a movie. Also, I hope Shakira's song is up for Best Song next year. What a catchy little track.

Theater (4)
    TV/Netflix (1)

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Walk - DVD
    The Martian - DVD
    Swamp Thing - HuluPlus
    Crimson Peak - DVD
    Steve Jobs - DVD
    Black Mass - DVD
    Spotlight - DVD
    The Good Dinosaur - DVD
    The Night Before - DVD
    The Warriors (1979) - Netflix Instant
    Wayne's World - Netflix Instant
    Johnny English - Netflix Instant
    Spy Hard - Netflix Instant
    Zootopia 2D - theater
    Creed - DVD
    Legend - DVD
    The Ten Commandments (1956) - theater

Went out to the Cinemark in Lufkin this afternoon for the 60th anniversary screenin' of the DeMille biblical classic.

I had the theater for the Fathom Event all to myself, too, 'til about a half dozen Sunday school kids showed up fifteen minutes before the show was supposed to start. I wound up havin' to change my seat, too, 'cause their teacher told 'em to go "all the way up to the back row!"

Witch.

I had never seen the movie all the way through, just bits and pieces over the years. This event screenin' included an overture, a vintage introduction from the director, a ten minute intermission, and exit music! All very cool, well worth seven bucks to see on the big screen the way god intended.

20. tomalak301

2) Room (2015) - A
    4) Deadpool (2016) - B-
    5) Zootopia (2016) - B+
    6) Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - D

What an incoherent mess of a "film" this was. It was 2 and a half hours of collections of scenes that didn't flow together at all, and there was very minimal character development. Also, I don't mind dark movies or dark anything (I just saw Daredevil season 2 and that was very gritty) but they have to be interesting. This movie was a slog to get through. Also, it did feel like you could have built 3 or 4 different movies with the various plot points of this movie and told a more coharent and streamlined story.

The only reason I give it two stars was because I loved seeing Wonder Woman. I also liked the actual fight between Superman and Batman. I just wish it didn't feel like 3 hours to get to that moment.

Theater (5)
    TV/Netflix (1)