Movies Revisited: "The Mask" (1994)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, May 5, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

With the flux of superhero films that have been hitting the cinmas for over 12 years, it's particularly interesting watching this film again, which pokes fun at all the tropes of such films without resorting cynicism or vulgarity. (Even when it comes close to vulgarity, it's harmlessly adolescent). This is a story that's entertaining for all ages. I found the DVD at a a store, and I hadn't seen it in years. I always liked it, but I think I enjoyed it more this time than ever before. In the past, I was always impatient in the last act, as the bad guy had the mask. not only did I think his version was very stereotypical, but I was anxious to see Carrey's Mask come back, and we get him so briefly when he does.

But that's the point. Notice how he almost beats up the bad guy by himself without the mask. He also started to become more confident and focused in the last act. The Mask was only needed to do something physically impossible and get rid of the bomb. And notice, the mask came back to him earlier in the film when he thought he tossed it. at that point he still needed. At the end, he didn't.

This was Cameron Diaz's debut, and she never looked better. The camera loves her too, and normally I would be against such shallowness or something, but not only has Cameron never looked better in these scenes, but very few actresses ever have looked better. She was stunning. It really made us care for whether or not Ipkiss would overcome his problems to talk to her.

The dog should have been given a best supporting actor Oscar.