News Mount And Peck Are Open To Reprising Pike And Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Apr 29, 2019.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

It would be a show designed to appeal to nostalgia obsessed fans, and too many of those are cancer. These are the ones who seem to find any positive comment anywhere on the internet about Discovery and immediately reply "I'm not paying for CBS-AA!" There is a star trek show for them, however, six actually, all on reruns.

Alan Roi likes this.
  2. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I would contend that those fans are ones feeling nostalgic for TNG, not TOS. I know of several nostalgic TOS fans that are having a ball with DSC, myself included.

3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I'm a nostalgic TOS fan too. I loved STC, so put me on that boat too.

Alan Roi and seigezunt like this.
  4. seigezunt

I've long felt the "old fan gatekepers vs new fans heretics" is a false narrative. I have a fairly regular rant that, if you were around to consume Power Records and Gold Key Comics during The Before Time, you should have acquired an ability to take innovations in stride.

Greg Cox and Alan Roi like this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Depends on the quality of the "innovation". Though I'm not sure Discovery qualifies as an innovation.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  6. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

Sorry to hear you can't see subversion. I can.

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. Alan Roi

I care about Michael just fine without having to see her do her laundry or count how many tribbles there are in tribble research over a 48 hour period. And I suspect other people don't need whole episodes where nothing is happening to connect to a character. We'd have no film industry of everyone required hours of day-to-day mundanity to connect to a character.

PiotrB likes this.
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"Innovative for Star Trek" is not innovative for any other television.

Spaceship Jo, Gonzo and BillJ like this.
  9. Alan Roi

its tough to go with a completely innovative show with a large portion of the fanbase wanting things to be just like the old days. Even so, the most turly innovative series on TV have often had short lives and struggled to maintain any sort of audience.

seigezunt likes this.
  10. BillJ

They also don’t have the Star Trek brand backing them up.

I’ll openly admit I don’t envy the job that the folks working on Discovery have to do.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Alan Roi likes this.
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Amen. I groan whenever people take for granted that us old-school fans are automatically "alienated" by anything different than what we imprinted on back in the day. I've encountered plenty of younger fans who are way more canon-obsessed than some of us lifers. :)

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Unless Bezos saves them at the last minute :D

13. Alan Roi

Sense8 was on Netflix. And he's unlikely to save Legion either since that's now a Disney property. I'm talking really innovative, Like stuff like you never imagined you'd ever bee seeing on TV, not just the very good Expanse, which I may be assuming what you are referring to?

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, it's nice to have The Orville while it lasts - a smart, entertaining space adventure show like the original Star Trek, with likeable characters who don't take themselves far more seriously than the writing justifies.

Everything that STD has failed at.

lurok, Spaceship Jo and Gonzo like this.
  15. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I have been fine watching both although I am still waiting patiently for the toilet scene, I have no issue with the actress who plays Burnham but the character has been overshadowed by every Captain that has sat in Discovery's big chair and because of that I havent really been moved when she is in danger, I had a good laugh when Connolly ate that asteroid and I dont think that was the idea behind the scene at all, if Burnham had headbutted that asteroid I wouldnt have been bothered in the slightest.

Not surprisingly we now find ourselves in the situation where the interest in a Pike/Enterprise show outstrips the interest for Picard, Georgiou or even Discovery Season 3 although I do want to find out if they intend to resolve the AI/Control plot line in the future or not.

I get the feeling that a large part of what made Season 2 an improvement has now been left behind due to the time jump, without Pike, Spock, N1 and the Enterprise would Season 2 have been as well received as it was.

I wonder.

Jadeb, T'Bonz and Serveaux like this.
  16. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Maybe it is just me....but I do not think Burnham is written to be liked all that much...or as the typical Star Fleet hero in tights and standing in golden light light spots......it is a story with multiple persons....I for one find that more interesting than the tired "I like the person alot role, I root for this person, I like the blah blah and so on"......she is a catalyst for a story.
    I do like how they portray the crew and the guest stars, I also like that we follow one persons journey, both the bad and good and everything inbetween.

The usual way is not so much the Discovery way..... it is a nice mix instead.
    I do not really have much of an intrest in a Pike show....I would like to see them again though, but only if the story calls for it.
    If so...they might as well redo the whole TOS thing.....now that would be....well nostalgic and not all that interesting, but it would probally please alot of people with a limited imagination I would think...

I will be looking forward to new Disco stuff.....

Alan Roi likes this.
  17. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think of her more as a catalyst, but really she has done a lot, esp. S2. Esp. because of [i don't know how to do a spolier tag].

More a catalyst in S1, more pivotal in S2, but . . . yeah, not "likeable." Of all previous main characters, I'd say Sisko was most serious but I liked him; his lighter moments with Jake or Cassidy, baseball fandom, his pop, etc. Basically any scene without Burnham in it in DSC is going to be more interesting or fun than one with her. Pike-Mount brought a bit of fun and charisma. People keep talking up SMG's acting chops, but all I see is that pained expression again and again and again . . . just don't like the character. Heck I liked Lorca a lot better for his quirkiness and fun. Until THE CHANGE.

Rainard Fox likes this.
  18. seigezunt

From where I'm sitting, it seems that basically any change is viewed as bad change, for the large part. Based on the critiques I read, I can't even imagine what would satisfy those critics. For the most part.

Alan Roi and fireproof78 like this.
  19. BillJ

I actually liked the concept of the Spore Drive, never sold on how it was used. Thought Stamets and Culber were great additions to the universe as individual characters and a couple. I like Tilly. I think Martin-Green is a heck of an actor. I think overall the casting of the show during both seasons was top notch.

There was much to like about the setup (though I'll never warm to Burnham's connections to Spock, or those uniforms), but I think the show stumbled badly in its execution.

Spaceship Jo and seigezunt like this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is not satisfying critics. At some point in time the producers need to write the story they want to tell and just tell it, critics or not.

Alan Roi and seigezunt like this.