Most efficient Federation Starship?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by El Amigo Carlos, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What Klingons and Romulans are you talking about? Because the Romulans I've seen have managed to use a scout ship to destroy entire installations (Balance of Terror) and are badasses at using politics and espionage to get their way. And the Klingons and their "one ship type" nearly handed the Feds their asses in two different conflicts: the Founder fomented war (DS9) and the war in the "Yesterday's Enterprise" timeline. (TNG)

If you're stuck with "one ship type" then it's about using it to the best of your own abilities. It doesn't automatically mean you're the underdog in a potential conflict.

One of the first things Ronald Reagan and his Navy Secretary John Lehman did when they were putting together the "600-ship Navy" was take the old Iowa-class battleships - which were forty years old at the time - refit them to launch Tomahawk missiles and reactivate them, and the missiles and sixteen-inch guns made them the most powerful land-attack platforms in the fleet. Old doesn't mean useless.

Except the aspect of versatility, which would be the point. A ship that can function adequately in several different missions is just as useful as a ship that's super-awesome at just one.

The Galaxy-class is not underpowered. It simply wasn't built with combat in mind, which is a circumstance that can be overcome with a commander with the right mindset. (Like Captain Jellico, who is THE MAN.)

So I guess you missed First Contact, where Picard took command of the defense fleet and beat the Borg cube by doing exactly that?

No it doesn't. It's physically impossible for one third of a ship to be more powerful than the ship as a whole, which makes your "30x stronger" assertion nonsense. The only advantage Prometheus gains from splitting into three is the ability to flank its target, but you're flanking it with three less powerful ships than the one you started with.

But not by a single Prometheus.

You don't have to. This thread is about everybody's choice. Intrepid is mine. Go pick your own.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. El Amigo Carlos

El Amigo Carlos Ensign Red Shirt

You misunderstod my comments on tue Cardassian,Klingon and Romulan ships.

You admitted it yourself, the Galaxy is underpowered considering it's volume and prestige.
    It wasn't built for war, true but seemingly it is underpowered compared to it's own prestigeous projection. It's a flying hotel compared to even other Federation ships, a better Captaij won't make it beat another Ship extra unless the last captain was Janeway.

I missed most of the movies, they're trashy.

A ship is versitile if it can do all intendee tasks well but it doesn't specialize in one task like the Equinox or Defiant which makes it weaker in said aspects.

You don't get Sarcasm.
    According to the plot it seemed to me that by separating in 3 parts the vessle somehow became better and stronger in combat.
    Like, it took out a Nebula in 3 phasor shots and probably wasn't firing back until then.
    As I said, seemingly Startrek ships can only fire a single phasor at a time.

That was my opinion about the Intrepid, thank you for respecting it.

3. El Amigo Carlos

Let me rephrase it then.
    It is my opinion that the Intrepid is a doggy poppy pile of swampy ass.

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

[​IMG]

5. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

And you could back that up with facts, but you don't.

Hence, your opinion is worth less than my dog's latest bowel movement.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

^ That’s not helpful.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  7. El Amigo Carlos

What do you want me to say?
    It looks like a spoon, it was captained by Janeway and it got shredded by specied 100 years less developed than the Federation.
    It got "sick"
    It was intended to be an armed science vessle. Like the Equinox but bigger and like the Galaxy but smaller.
    And the presence of Tom Paris,Kim and B'ellana daddy issues Toress just gave me an all out bad experience watching Voyager the series and the ship.

8. Captain Killy

Captain Killy Commander Red Shirt

But they're so ugly...

Longinus likes this.
  9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Which one? They're all beauties in my eye, classics in their own right.

10. Captain Killy

Captain Killy Commander Red Shirt

The Nebula: Short, squat and just awkward looking.

But mind you, I'm really particular about my Federation Starships. As much as I love the 1701-D, she's not the most attractive lady at the ball. The saucer is way out of proportion to the rest of the ship - very top heavy. And the Defiant? I still say it looks like a squashed platypus.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Admiral2 likes this.
  11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's solely by looks then I'd have to nominate the Ambassador-Class, she's a far better designed ship that the Galaxy- or Nebula-Class.

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Ptolemy. What's the point of going anywhere, if you can't bring your stuff?

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Then explain them.

No I didn't. I said they weren't built for combat. That's not the same thing as "underpowered."

It is a flying hotel, with the exact same power source as "other Federaton ships," which means it has the exact same available power. It's just directed to other purposes besides fighting.

In "Chain of Command," a better captain used an "underpowered" Galaxy-class to turn away an entire fleet of Cardassian ships without firing a shot. And none of the other captains was named "Janeway."

Try watching them. It might bring some perspective to your arguments.

Maybe, but again, it's what you asked for!

If you insist the chosen classes be good at both combat and exploration then you're choosing versatility over specialty. If you want specialized ships, ask for them. Make up your mind.

No, you're just bad at writing sarcastically.

That's because canon trek writers generally know nothing about ships or combat. They get things right maybe half the time. This battle falls into the other half.

That's a failure of the various Tactical officers' imagination. The technology allows for multiple phaser firings. They just don't take advantage.

USS Firefly likes this.
  14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And? It has the same basic layout and shape of numerous other Starfleet ships. I like multi-mission capable vessels and the Intrepid class showed itself to be capable.

1001001 likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we're speaking in terms of travel times, the USS Discovery is the only option. Nothing else in Trek is on the same page.

16. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nova, Galaxy and Intrepid.

Intrepids are the backbone of the fleet, relatively small, but fast and capable science vessels, that can hold their own in a battle. Good for various different missions, and most importantly excellent for deep space exploration, which is the main mission of the Starfleet.

Nova as easy to produce workhorse. You can have loads of these. These perform less critical missions where better ships would be wasted.

Galaxy as your centrepiece. When you need the best. Great for exploration and diplomatic functions, a capable battleship and a fleet command vessel if needed.

17. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course the real reason why other forces have less ship designs is not that their ships are more versatile, it is because they appear less often on screen than the Fed stuff, so producers didn't bother wasting money making ships for them. And even in-universe, I think Fed ships generally are built to be very versatile (with specific exception of Defiant.) Starfleet performs more varied missions than the fleets of the neighbouring space empires, and thus needs more versatile ships.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I picked Nova, Intrepid and Sovereign. Two out of three...:shrug:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  19. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dreadnought, hands down. The definition of efficient, it relies on a fraction of a skeleton crew, five or six, is fully automated, is super fast and can track ships at warp. It is built for war, but could also be used for exploration purposes, with large cargo bays that could most likely be repurposed for transporting passengers if the need arose.

As for the three ship types, I'd choose Dreadnought, Sovereign and Constitution (refit)

Admiral2 and F. King Daniel like this.
  20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oberth, Miranda, and Excelsior classes proved to be the most durable and flexible starship designs. Those classes are still in service 100 years after initial production. These spaceframes proved more adaptable to upgrades and technology advancement.