Mortal Engines Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 6, 2018.

1. NerMike

NerMike Cadet Newbie

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize she was the mission commander (and her twin) on the TV series Mars.

3. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was intrigued by this movie ever since the first teaser trailer. Visually dazzling, and intriguing story. I haven't read the source material, but have read a passage that describes her appearance. I don't see any way that the studio would have made their main heroine's appearance like she is in the book. That being said, the movie Hester is gorgeous, scars and all. The new trailer that dropped the other day was good too and showed a bit more of what happened to the world and how the moving cities came to be.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is a perfectly valid and understandable concern, IMO.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Sky Captain is also making the rounds on cable these days. I loved that film--and can't wait for this one.

7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I have not read the books but you have summed up how I felt going into the movie. Nice pretty pictures and sound but other than that, well it was OK to good but nothing great.

I do love all the set pieces though the design of the cities and London looked absolutely bloody amazing. The flying machines made me think of John Carter way too much.

I wish someone had randomly yelled out "Helium Lives"

6/10

8. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No Post Release thread?

---

A film based on the first of the novels in the Mortal Engines Quartet by Philip Reeve. In a world thousands of years after a devastating Sixty Minute War, giant mobile predator cities roam. In one of these cities, London, a young historian finds himself thrown into an adventure he doesn't want. But first, London captures a mining town, on which a young lady, Hester Shaw, is waiting. (Did Hester sabotage Salthook's engines to ensure that she could get aboard London?) She is on a mission of revenge against Thaddeus Valentine, an important Londoner.
    But that is not what the story is all about. Valentine is up to something, having commandeered St. Paul's Cathedral for his purposes. It is also about Tom Natsworthy, a Londoner historian, learning to survive in the Hunting Ground that Europe has become, after he inadvertently gets involved in Hester's plot. These revelations are done rather well, as they travel across the Hunting Ground and are then rescued from a slave auction by Anna Fang, an Anti-Tractionist agent (given that the predator cities are also called Traction Cities).
    Thus revelations occur, about what Valentine wis doing, and what has happened to Hester to make her the way she is. Some as these are as crazy as the setting, but make sense within it. For instance, Shrike, a cyborg built from a corpse, is as well developed as the two main characters (and his story links with that of Hester's in a very effective and believable way). The source of difficulty he presents is a very good part of the story. It all leads to the conclusion where Valentine attacks the Ant-Tractionist Sheild Wall with an ancient superweapon.
    The ending with Tom, Hester and Anna leading a raid on London in Anna's airship (alongside others) is very well done (and not too reminiscent of any Star Wars films). Overall, it is a good film, even if more needed to be done at various parts. 7.75/10.

9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been out for over a week now and I've still haven't seen it. My local cinema only seems to have one showing for it a day and its at an inconvenient time.
    Hopefully sometime this week I'll go.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

After seeing the reviews, and since there is a lot of other I want to see, I've decided to just wait rent this from Amazon when they get it.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I went to go see it opening night...me and 6 others were maybe the only ones there.

Was this meant to be like a YA Novel? It came off that way.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's based on the first novel in a YA series.

15. thribs

Just watched it. It’s pretty good with some nice visuals. Felt very much like a Star Wars story, especially with that reveal at the end.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Ah, that explains it. I was worried they took a good non-YA series and turned it into one like with the Dark Tower film last year, but knowing it was always YA makes me feel a bit better.

17. thribs

Dark Tower was slightly different as that is supposed to be a sequel to the books.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but it doesn't change that the way they portrayed everything in the film made it seem like a YA novel more about the Kid than about Roland and the Man in Black.

19. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Too much Marvel and such these days....Sci-Fi is not as fun as it could be....and the audience is lacking....I am going to see it anyways....on the other hand I am not going to see aquaman, nor did I see Infinity war, have no intrest in captain marvel.....all these are dreadful movies to me, only something I'll stream or perhaps rent.....not something that sparks my imagination much....

First Guardians was fun, but the second was just too dumb.... well I know that I am in the minority here, US comics never did much for me in the first place....so to me it is no surprise that this one did not fare well....

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We might be taking a look at this at the weekend (if all the screen times are currently correct anyway). We had planned on something else, but it appears as though that's been removed from our local cinemas just for this week.