Moonfall, self-aware parody?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Adventure, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Looks like Donald Sutherland play the cliche role of someone no one believed 50 years ago and now everyone needs his help. He's got that "hasn't had a haircut in 50 years" look to him.

Also the Emmerich cliche of the government hiding secret advanced equipment they have to use in the 3rd act.

Also Patrick Wilson playing the guy that has a bad history with the authorities but they have to call him back because he's the only one that can save the world.

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not a moon....

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Funnily enough you are apparently not that far off.

We saw a new trailer for it in front of Spiderman and there was apparently some alien thing at work there that looked like it was intelligent enough to fight against humans - hard to describe.

Dumb as fuck but i'm definitely going to see it :lol:

4. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I assumed from the trailer it was a comedy, but Wikipedia and IMDB both list it as a sci-fi action thriller.
    [​IMG]

Admiral2 likes this.
  5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And someone's going to make a wisecrack, "Dude, I think we just got mooned!

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not quite right.

Kinda but not really.
    OK this one I'll give you.
    My mom and I saw it this morning, and we both enjoyed it. Yeah, it's big, and dumb, but it's a lot of fun. And there is kind of a big surprising twist at the end, that caught both of us completely off guard. It's also got some awesome special effect sequences, especially towards the end, when the destruction on Earth really goes into overdrive, and once the heroes make it to the moon.
    I saw a quote where Emmerich said he had ideas for multiple sequels, and I would be curious to see where he takes things next with what he introduced here.
    I can't help but wonder if some of the stuff we got with the origins of the moon and the AI and all of that were left over from Independence Day sequels we never got.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie flopped, so no sequels.

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I knew it was going to be bad but no one's going to an Emmerich movie for quality film making. You go for the wanton mass-destruction, slumming A-listers spouting terrible dialogue and a plot that could have been written by a twelve year old. Or in this case a twelve year old communist. Because even if you miss the logos at the start you're left in no doubt whee a large chunk of the budget came from.

In a film where much of the world is destroyed the only named characters to die are a greedy capitalist and a member of the bloodthirsty US military.

And then there's the movies big revelation that
    the human race was created by benevolent space Commies who were wiped out by evil AI that committed the ultimate sin of thinking for itself rather than just doing what it was told.

The Asylum released their mockbuster version of Moonfall last week but they really needn't have bothered as the film is it's own mockbuster of itself.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooookkkkaaaayy, that's definitely a very different take on the movie from mine.
    And just to give a little context the "greedy capitalist" sacrificed himself to save his young daughter, so it was actually a rather noble, heroic death.
    And it seems a bit over dramatic to call the ancient humans "space commies" when we don't really know that much about them, and the AI pretty clearly turned on the humans with no real provocation.

10. crookeddy

People tend to see what they want to see :)

Emmerich definitely puts a tiny bit of political satire into his movies though. For example Americans illegally crossing into Mexico to escape the weather in Day After Tomorrow. :)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but the post before mine just felt a little over the top to me.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Watching that trailer in the OP I can't help but smile and laugh, It looks like just the kind of terrible I love and then some.

I mean, in the director credits at the beginning of the trailer they really thought "10,0000 B.C." and "Godzilla" were things to remind the audiences of?

I love it! I need to see this movie.

Once it gets on a streaming service.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want to see it, you should try to see it at least once in the theater. There are some insane effects sequences that really need to be seen on as big a screen as possible to get the full experience.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The town I live in his one movie theater and not a lot of showtimes. I think this is, in fact, playing there but really nit at a time convenient for me.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a shame. We have a ton of theaters where I live, almost all of which have at least a dozen screens, so you can pretty much find any movie that's currently play at almost any time.

16. crookeddy

I live in Los Angeles but since Pacific Theaters closed down I don't have a theater within 3 miles... So 1 hour drive in L.A. traffic lol

Jokes aside, this is obviously the best city to watch anything, theaters everywhere.

We even have 2 Netflix owned movie theaters!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've got three within 15 to 20 minutes.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not an option in Canada, as the movie will not be getting a theatrical release anywhere in the country. The studio feels there aren't enough theatres open in the country to make it worthwhile.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Which means our options are quite limited. I didn't realize there weren't enough open to make it viable for them. Kind of makes me laugh when I see movies ads say 'Only in Theatres'.

The theatres are closed due to pandemic policies, but it does make the case for more options overall, and not just theatres themselves. I feel Canada's got too much of a monopoly going on when it comes to theatres. I think that unless you're a big city, you're just not going to get an option of where to see a movie. For several decades, we only had the one Cineplex for the entire city. Eventually we got the smaller Imagine Cinemas with the recliner seats, and the smaller yet art house theatre being housed in a former school. In general, I think there need to be more media streaming options in Canada too.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a shame. All of the theaters here have been open for months, and as far as I can tell they appear to be staying open.