Moon (Spoilers I guess...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthPipes, Jul 9, 2010.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got a chance to watch this today and I really enjoyed it.

I'm a sucker for that kind of science-fiction and I can't believe it was done on a budget of only $5 million. Sam Rockwell is terrific is what is practically a one-actor movie.

Anyone else see this?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, loved it, mainly for Rockwell. I figured out the Big Secret pretty quickly (not like that's such an original idea, right?) and kept waiting for the other twist...that never came...oh well, still a decent flick.

3. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I wanted to like it but lost interest halfway through and consequently don't recall what happened. Meh.

4. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I don't think the movie relied that much on its twist tbh, they sorta show you half of it after about twenty mins and after that it's kinnda easy to figure out the full thing. Rockwell was the selling point and kept me interested throughout though.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I loved the movie, if anything let it down it would be the ending I feel, but considering the budget and tone of the story, I don't think they could have done much else.

6. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

It was excellent, one of the best sci fi flicks in recent years.

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I got to watch it about a month ago on Netflix, and it was great. I loved the whole atmosphere of the movie, and Sam Rockwell did a terrific and believable job as multiple Sam Bells. I also love Kevin Spacey's voiceover role as GERTY. Just nicely done all around, and a movie I hope to own on Blu-ray in the future.

8. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the movie was okay, but thought Sam Rockwell was stellar.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's often confused me how people who talk about this film frequently seem to confuse the premise with a plot twist, and claiming that they spotted what the premise is somehow marks the film down. This film had no twist, it was about a man who meets his own clone and how they both deal with their mortality. It's no more a twist than: "and an alien jumps out of his chest" is a twist in 'Alien'.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the twist is that they're both clones and the original Sam Bell is someone else. I think that does qualify as a twist.

But yeah, the film rests its strength on its atmosphere and characterisation, both of the Sams and also GERTY. The result really is one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in theatres for quite a few years and one of the best overall of the last decade.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  11. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally saw Moon recently, on DVD. Good movie, though I agree with the previous poster who said the ending was a little weak.

Still, I liked it a lot, overall. I wish I had seen it in theatres

12. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really good film.

13. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved it... but now everytime I hear Walking on Sunshine I cant not picture Sam doing his spaz dance. :lol:

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why I kept waiting for the real twist. :rommie:

Movies usually don't deliberately rely on just the lead actor. There's supposed to be something worthwhile to the script, too. Otherwise, why waste a good actor on a mediocre script?

Yeah, and if that's not what the story was relying on, then it needed to rely on something else, that just wasn't there. A story needs to be more than just a situation. It was a very thin story that got a pass because of Rockwell and Spacey. With a few more rewrites, they might have come up with a story worth the actors they got for the movie.

15. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I think you're missing the point, though. The story isn't about the "twist," but about how Sam(s) deal with the whole situation. I think it's an excellent script for exactly that reason: it's a brilliant character study.

16. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was one of those quiet films that came along and really surprised me. I rented it on Netflix and figured it would be a decent, if not remarkable, little film. I was pleasantly surprised. I actually didn't figure out the whole clone thing until later on in the film (several possibilities ran through my mind.... he's hallucinating, or the other Sam is an alien, or something... I didn't figure it out right away). I think it's a really strong sci-fi film.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Great little movie, loved it and Sam Rockwell carried it well and Spacey was great as the robot. (Gertie?) I own it on BD.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

As I understand it, the director Duncan Jones wants to do a follow-up called "Mute" and Rockwell has agreed to do a cameo. He wants to do a trilogy set in the same fictional world.

19. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

After this I will be queuing up for any follow ups they make, especially if he can keep this intelligent work going, the movie was a solid character piece and I realised that I didn't give Spacey any credit before, he deserves a good round of applause for the few smiles he brought to my face as the robot.

20. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Same here...I thought he'd gone over the edge. Love this movie, my two favorite scenes are the heart breaking ones....

Where he confronts GERTY and GERTY has the "cry" emoticon and the scene in the rover where he makes the call and finds out that the real Sam is living, wife has passed on and it's been something like 16 years or so. The music just makes those scenes....very emotional music.

As for future movies set in the same fictional world...HELL YES! I hope each one has it's own distinct feel with just a small reference to the previous pictures to acknowledge the same universe.