Modiphius Star Trek Adventures

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Dulak, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From what I've seen of it, the game relies more on storytelling and character interaction/development than action or combat. Basically you just need dice, paper, pencils, and maybe some tokens or chips to keep track of point quantities. Everything else is optional.

2. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

I second Christopher's post. The game is definitely not a map-grid based combat with inch by inch tracking of movement. It is meant to be dramatic. Even though action is included it is most likely going to be a back and forth description with some dice rolling. The miniatures definitely are for flavor, as are the geomorphic tiles ( I hope they do some non starfleet ones soon! But if cost is an issue, I wouldn't let not having them deter the game. A dry erase board or even a blank large paper would serve perfectly well to outline the zones for combat.

The cube is on my Christmas list, because I want these guys to keep adding to and improving the game.. But I started with just the PDF, then got the hardback with the next years releases in PDF included as they become available. Just to get started.

3. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Writer Premium Member

You don't need anything except the core book and maybe one of the dice packs if you don't like remembering or using a cheat sheet to grok what the faces of a six-sided dice mean for the purposes of this game system. Everything else in the Borg cube (and available for sale individually) is optional.

The game has an abstract combat system, so minis aren't required either. Just nice to haves.

I'd suggest downloading the free quickstart package and if you like what you see in there, get the core book in either PDF or print format (print format comes with a free copy of the PDF). Maybe a set of dice (esp since they're available in the three division colors). Tokens for Momentum, Determination, and Threat can be had via coins, poker chips, glass beads, etc.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

FASA was always my favorite variant of Trek RPG. None of the others really came close, IMO. For a while, during the 90's and early-2000's some friends and I converted a White Wolf character sheet for use in Trek - worked quite well. Adjusted it later for Battlestar Galactica and Highlander variants. We found the WW World of Darkness system to be extremely flexible for use in other genres.

5. Dulak

The thing I remember most about the FASA trek was the detailed character creation. I may have to dig it out from my garage and take a look.. But we really didn't find the complete rule set all that playable, especially the starship combat. I think the slighly clunky feeling of the mechanics of the system would be even more apparent these days of more streamlined for speed of play systems. I mean, did you actually use the enormous energy and shield tracking layouts?

We knew instinctively that to give our RP sessions a more Trek feel, we would need to streamline, so most things were cut out except percentile and damage rolls. The stats and skills worked well enough.

One of the things about the Lifepath character creation in the new Modiphius variant is that it seems to hearken back to that detailed background... but with the possibility to guide things more if you wish. Seems to be designed to give you characters you can care about.. and really have a feel for what drives and motivates (and limits) them.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  6. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

oh. Actually we DID use the system displays from the FASA first edition. Found it a wonderful way to get everyone in the group involved in the starship combats. Those usually turn into a Captain and a helmsman show, but with the displays, everyone had a role to play and we made sure, running it, that each bridge station got a full moment on scree during their turn. Really helped convey a sense of scope too. Ships are BIG and a LOT of things go on inside them when someone is pounding them with torpedoes and wot not. Wonderful times. I've never seen anything quite as eloquently playable since then.

C57D likes this.
  7. Dulak

Like I said, got practically all the FASA stuff in the garage. I'll have to dig them out and take a look, including the Star Trek III Starship combat simulator. Maybe mostly for nostalgia sake. A friend and I are working on internalizing the Modiphius system, including the starship combat, which does seem to attempt to include everyone, either via main characters or supporting characters.

8. Dulak

I just got my dice! Ordered them direct because other venues are slow at getting the sets so far. They are not necessary, but they are nice to have. I would say very nice in the case of the challenge dice especially since remembering the results breakdown on those special d6s on normal d6s just isn't as fun as having the results right there.

I like the different colors for the divisions, and the starfield patterns on each die. The numbers seem easy to read, and the dice themselves high quality.

What I didn't like was having to get multiple sets to make what I would consider a complete "game" set in order to prevent having to re-roll task dice to complete your pool, or challenge dice to roll all damage dice in a single roll. But for me that was a minor inconvenience because now I have loaner dice for those in my group who don't have their own.

I have heard complaints in other venues that these dice are just too expensive. But while they are pricey, I think there is a likely counter argument for those who think they are being "gouged," by the dice prices. From a purely economic standpoint, Star Trek Adventures is a much smaller release (some might even say niche) game compared to say D&D. So production costs are simply going to be higher. That is not even counting the exchange rate of something coming from the UK. I for one am totally willing to support this financially as much as I can, because I want this RPG to continue and grow.

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like they are going to do stats for the TV characters!

10. Pauln6

Stats for TOS and TNG characters are now available.

Desert Kris likes this.
  11. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Where does one find them?

12. Pauln6

I got mine off drivethrurpg.com but you get them on the Modiphius website too I think. A few typos have been spotted. You can wait for the updates but on drivethru you'll be able to download updates for free once you've paid.

13. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The Modiphius site also gives you heads-ups when things are updated. I just got an email about one, and all I've "bought" are the free quickstart guide and character sheets.

14. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Hmmm, visited the Modiphius site before and after commenting. I'm not sure if I'm navigating their site correctly, as nothing is really jumping out at me. It's cool that there are stats for TOS and TNG characters, though!

Ah, found them. They're in the shop section of the site.

15. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, my massive Cube warped into Sector 001 a couple of weeks ago, and I've been trying to carve out time to, erm, assimilate all the data. It's a massive box, love the format, certainly not disappointed with it in any way.

The likelihood of me actually being able to either run or play in a game with my friends is...extremely unlikely. Everyone wants to, but everyone wanted to do Fate, Firefly and Dresden Files, too. No one's schedules ever line up. The curse of wanting to game in adult life. Sigh. Still, it's a massive Borg cube to take up space on a shelf and look menacing next to the LUG and Decipher books, and all my other Trek reference materials...

ETA: Going through my PDFs, I want to make sure I'm not missing any adventures for the Living Campaign... I've got Adrift, Abyss Station, Convoy SE-119, Fury of the Hive, Tug of War, Signals, and Bacchus' Irresistible Call... I feel like I'm missing something, but not sure what...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  16. Jim Johnson

There were three TNG playtest adventures not included in that list. Along with "Adrift," they're being revised to the final ruleset, tweaked, and then will be added to the LC download folder to use. You don't need to have played them in order, so you didn't really miss anything.

TJ Sinclair likes this.
  17. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the info. :)

BTW, I just saw today that you're scheduled to be at Shore Leave this year. Think there's any chance of having a group for a one-shot playthrough at the con?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

FYI, folks, I'm writing some of the standalone adventure campaigns for STA, under Jim Johnson's editorship. I'm pretty new to RPGs, but the Rulebook and Jim have been helpful at getting me up to speed.

Destructor and TJ Sinclair like this.
  19. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

This is really great news, Christopher. I've been really pleased that other TrekLit writers have been contributing to the Living Campaign and I honestly can't think of another Trek writer that I'd be happier to hear had started writing adventure campaigns for the system. It really contributes to the feeling that Mophidius cares about this product and is making it for the fans. I'll keep a look out for your adventures with great anticipation.

20. Jim Johnson

I'm hoping to have an hour-long panel about STA, and also a workshop of some sort, but I have to talk with the SL powers-that-be about it. I'll likely have some free time during the con, and I may just pop into the game room and run a demo too. :)

If you're going to GenCon this year, I'll be there as well.