Modern shows you think might not age well?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jayson1, Nov 4, 2017.

1. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

Has the fear of Islamic terrorism really gone away?

Certainly the rising antagonism with Russia provides some interesting possibilities - perhaps those Cold War stories could come back into style.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If that's what it took to get nuWho going, no wonder it's been mostly dumbed-down nonsense. I lost interest in nuWho years ago, but still love the Classic Doctors.

"Dadburnit!" (I love the older Bonanza episodes :))

I love Keeping Up Appearances! Some years back, on the I Can Has Cheezburger? website, there was a section called "Lovely Listings." One entry was a bedroom full of flowered patterns, and some of us started speculating how Hyacinth would be so proud if Sheridan had designed such a room.

Next thing we knew, someone had registered under the name of "Sheridan Bouquet" and was posting in character (not that we ever saw Sheridan), but the back-and-forth was hilarious.

Random_Spock and SolarisOne like this.
  3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the passage of time usually doesn't itself make a show seem less good. I agree, though, that The Walking Dead (which yes I already dislike) will probably be a lot less liked, too much gore and grimness would seem unappealing or just OK rather than impressively novel.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

current? I found lot of the pop culture references to be a bit old, over the heads of many of the current teens...

I think Stranger Things would be immune from it in the same way The Wonder Years is.

5. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

There's something interesting about how Happy Days is aging.
    It was a nostalgic throwback about the '50s, when it started in the '70s.
    The more time that passes, the closer its production seems to the time it was set in.

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know on show I don't think will age well is "30 Rock." I love the show but will people be familiar with network tv that much or some of the big names stars who show up or get some of the political humor and jokes. Some of the early Bush era stuff really feels weird. Also did we already mention this because I feel like we have talked about this already?

Jason

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I can't think of any, even the few I do watch are so bogged down by current political issues and whatnot that they'll seem dated within a generation if not sooner. Older shows, while to be fair some are products of their time also, at the same time have a timeless quality sadly missing in today's TV.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm genuinely surprised. I found shows like Keeping Up Appearances, The Ropers, On The Busses, Are You Being Served, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Hi De Hi drivel at the time and even more unwatchable now. Some shows I liked are looking creaky now - The Young Ones, Citizen Smith, Shelley, Goodnight Sweetheart and Fairly Secret Army for instance.

Other shows are timeless classics - Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, Porridge, Some Mothers Do Ave Em and Rising Damp are still great.

If American shows, one still shines - The Phil Silver's Show, or 'Bilko'. Other shows being slated here I still love - Big Bang, it's rather like Friends which I can still rewatch and enjoy. Happy Days and Married With Children too.

I prefer no laugh track, but sadly they seem ubiquitous. They don't put me off that much though - the real thing is the writing, not the production values.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. Timewalker

I haven't heard of most of those. In Canada we get our "Britcoms" from PBS. My dad got me hooked on "Good Neighbors" (aka "The Good Life"), and then I got hooked on "Are You Being Served?" and "Keeping Up Appearances". Yes, there's much about them that are no longer acceptable, with casual racism, and sexism. But considering the time in which they were made, it helps to put it in context.

By "The Ropers" are you referring to a different show than the spinoff of "Three's Company"? Other than the snooty neighbor, I can't think of anything objectionable about that show.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not really objectionable - it just didn't amuse me in the slightest. I think it was actually called George and Mildred over here - a spin off from Man About The House. I don't know if the shows you saw were just retitled for sale overseas or if they were remade abroad.

The Good Life was great - I'm still a little in love with Felicity Kendal...

11. Timewalker

They were remade. Jack, Janet, and Chrissy became roommates, and the only reason Stanley Roper allowed it was because Janet told him Jack (played by the extraordinarily comedic John Ritter) was gay. There were "gay jokes" throughout the series until the final episode.

I still don't understand the card game that Barbara and her friend were playing as they were getting drunk on peapod wine.

The first time I saw Felicity Kendal was when she played Viola in a televised production of Twelfth Night.