MLB Talk - 2010 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, so the Giants gave one up, it was bound to happen. The only thing I take out of this game is I do not trust Jonathon Sanchez. He should not be the pitcher in a Game 7 at any cost. If you want to pitch the Bullpen, fine, go with Lincecum on 2 days rest, fine, but I think tonight should be Sanchez's final game this season. He just can't cut it.

2. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, going into this one I was worried. IMO they should have taken him out of the lineup after Game 6 of the NLCS...it was the saviors in the bullpen and some timely offense that won that for us and Sanchez nearly cost us a lot then and I fear he may have cost us a lot tonight. Hell, I'd have rather seen Zito on the hill tonight. Here's hoping MadBum can get it done tonight and that the Giants' bats finally arrive from San Francisco.

3. tomalak301

This might be a stupid question, but would you have preferred Zito in the line up rather than Sanchez. I mean Zito has playoff experience and while Zito had a bad game his final game, based on Sanchez's performance would it have mattered? I think it might be risky, but it was something I was thinking about.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there no Rangers fans on the BBS?

5. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I'm one, and I live in Fort Worth.

Brit

6. Tiberius Jim

Well I don't want to second guess what has happened leading up to the WS because even though Sanchez choked in Game 6, he did do a good job with the Padres and Braves. That said, I think after Game 6 Boch should have seen the warning signs and maybe given Barry a chance to redeem himself in a big game. He does have the experience, after all, and a lot of motivation to get back into the team's good graces.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  8. tomalak301

East Coast Media: Who the hell is Madison Bumgarner

Me: He's the guy who just dominated the most pressure filled game of his career, at 21 years of age, and showed just how much ca-hones he really has.

What a masterpiece he had tonight. Giants are one win away and past history has told me not to start celebrating until the series is over, but for one night, what an epic win and epic performance from the kid. Now with Lincecum and Cain going, well, we'll just see. :mallory:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

You won't need Cain!

10. Tiberius Jim

Holy crap, Madison...that was epic.

A small part of me wishes it could come back to San Francisco but since that means they would have to lose tomorrow and make it 3-2...I'd rather that not happen. The only bummer is that I'll be at work all day and have to rely on MLB At Bat app on my phone to stay up to date...but a World Series win is a win even if I have to watch the highlights after the fact instead of being tortured while being able to watch it live.

Does anyone know when the last time a team shut out their opponents twice in a WS? I know it had been a while since it had been done once so twice must be unheard of. Awesome. :)

11. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what my Bostonian ass said last night. He looked PFG.

It's gonna be a battle for the remote at my house tonight. My wife is a football nut, and hates the Colts almost as much as she hates the Jets. She's already ready for some football. I want to watch the Series since there may be a title winner tonight.

I'm gonna banish her to the upstairs TV. I've got leverage since I'm sick as a dog and didn't go to work today.

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

If memory serves, the 1966 Orioles shut out the Dodgers three times. I believe the Giants are the first to hang two shutouts on a World Series opponent since then.

13. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

How long do the Giants have that core of young starters locked up for? If memory serves, players are arbitration eligible after 4 years and FAs after 6. It seems like they should be able to hang onto them for moderate money for a while.

2 lefties, 2 righties, combination of power and finesse, great combination.

If they can get a big bat and screw Zito's head on straight over the winter, they will be a force to be reckoned with for the forseeable future.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's a bit funky. There are three different sets of arbitration eligibility:

A) A player with at least three, but fewer than six, years of Major League service time.

B) The upper echelon (in terms of cumulative playing time) -- 17 percent, I believe -- of players with at least two, but fewer than three, years of Major League service time, with at least 86 days spent in the Major Leagues during the previous season. Generally, the cutoff is in the neighborhood of two years and 128 days of service time. This is known as the "Super Two" exception (meaning the player gets an extra year of arb-eligibility); last year, Tim Lincecum, Adam Jones and Matt Garza were notable Super Twos.

C) Free agents who have been offered arbitration by their former team.

15. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've resigned Cain and Lincicum already, Madbum is a rookie so he's lock for some time, not sure about Sanchez. I think we're golden through 2012, maybe 2014, at this point.

One more, just one more...

16. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've resigned Cain and Lincicum already, Madbum is a rookie so he's lock for some time, not sure about Sanchez. I think we're golden through 2012, maybe 2014, at this point.

One more, just one more...

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Way to go Giants! Congratulations!!!!! :techman:

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if anyone here is a Fringe fan, thank the Giants. New episode on Thursday! :p

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ "To understand what happened at Rangers Ballpark, we use Mr. Beardpaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of pitchers." :D

20. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*Really, this has been stressful. I can actually start writing more than a page a day now*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.