MLB Offseason: All Rise for the Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game ended in the bottom of the ninth, with 2 out and bases loaded because the batter wasn't "alert".

Let the horse-hide Man-fraud Bullshit begin.
frantic.gif

Except in Milwaukee, where they would never waste a good brat.

I mean, a brat is a terrible thing to waste. I haven't had one in years because of a switch to a low-sodium diet, but, man, a good brat is something special.

Also, a game ending on a pitch clock violation is precisely the validation of what I've been saying: The pitch clock is a solution desperately in search of a problem.

Wow, I had forgotten how much trouble has surrounded the sausage race over the years. :lol: Though I am glad they added Chorizo to the, erm, menu.

- On July 9, 2003, Randall Simon, then the first baseman of the Pittsburgh Pirates, hit the head of a runner's costume with a baseball bat. The tap did not hit the actual head of Mandy Block, who was wearing the Italian sausage costume, but it did knock her over, and she took the hot dog down with her. The Polish sausage helped the Italian sausage up and all sausages finished the race. Simon was arrested, fined, and suspended by Major League Baseball for three games. He later apologized.[4] Block asked only that the offending bat be autographed and given to her. Simon obliged. Later that year, Mandy Block received a complimentary trip to Curaçao, Simon's home island, from the Curaçao Tourism Board. Since the incident, T-shirts and other memorabilia have been sold with the slogan "Don't whack our wiener!" Pittsburgh lost the game 2–1. Simon was traded to the Chicago Cubs later that season for reasons unrelated to the incident. He returned to Milwaukee with the Cubs for a series against the Brewers. During the first game, Simon's teammates playfully held him back as the sausages raced past their dugout, and manager Dusty Baker guarded the bat rack. In that same game, Simon purchased Italian sausages for a randomly chosen section of the crowd.

- On February 27, 2013, news outlets reported that the Italian sausage costume was missing. According to police, eyewitnesses saw someone wearing the costume leaving the Milwaukee Curling Club in suburban Cedarburg the evening of February 16, proceeding to visit several bars in the area and pose for photographs with patrons before disappearing. Rewards offered for the costume's safe return included year's supplies of mustard and sauerkraut from local businesses, but these went unclaimed as the costume was ultimately dropped off in a hurry at a Cedarburg bar on February 28 by two unidentified men.

Wow, I had forgotten how much trouble has surrounded the sausage race over the years. :lol: Though I am glad they added Chorizo to the, erm, menu.

- On July 9, 2003, Randall Simon, then the first baseman of the Pittsburgh Pirates, hit the head of a runner's costume with a baseball bat. The tap did not hit the actual head of Mandy Block, who was wearing the Italian sausage costume, but it did knock her over, and she took the hot dog down with her. The Polish sausage helped the Italian sausage up and all sausages finished the race. Simon was arrested, fined, and suspended by Major League Baseball for three games. He later apologized.[4] Block asked only that the offending bat be autographed and given to her. Simon obliged. Later that year, Mandy Block received a complimentary trip to Curaçao, Simon's home island, from the Curaçao Tourism Board. Since the incident, T-shirts and other memorabilia have been sold with the slogan "Don't whack our wiener!" Pittsburgh lost the game 2–1. Simon was traded to the Chicago Cubs later that season for reasons unrelated to the incident. He returned to Milwaukee with the Cubs for a series against the Brewers. During the first game, Simon's teammates playfully held him back as the sausages raced past their dugout, and manager Dusty Baker guarded the bat rack. In that same game, Simon purchased Italian sausages for a randomly chosen section of the crowd.

- On February 27, 2013, news outlets reported that the Italian sausage costume was missing. According to police, eyewitnesses saw someone wearing the costume leaving the Milwaukee Curling Club in suburban Cedarburg the evening of February 16, proceeding to visit several bars in the area and pose for photographs with patrons before disappearing. Rewards offered for the costume's safe return included year's supplies of mustard and sauerkraut from local businesses, but these went unclaimed as the costume was ultimately dropped off in a hurry at a Cedarburg bar on February 28 by two unidentified men.

Oh yeah, I'm "young" enough to remember those bun burners. :whistle:

Star third baseman Manny Machado and the San Diego Padres are finalizing an 11-year, $350 million contract extension, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.

That's through his 41st birthday. They'll probably get a couple good years out of him before he flames out.

Manny owns. I loved watching him during the year I lived in Baltimore. Good for him.

I mean, a brat is a terrible thing to waste. I haven't had one in years because of a switch to a low-sodium diet, but, man, a good brat is something special.

Also, a game ending on a pitch clock violation is precisely the validation of what I've been saying: The pitch clock is a solution desperately in search of a problem.

I agree with the FIRST half of this message. :)

I mean, of course I totally understand why some won't like the pitch clock. I'm not here to argue that. I just think that anything which will prevent "human rain delays" like Nomar Garciaparra (who used to :censored: around with his batting glove for like a minute and a half between hits) is a good thing.

I just think that anything which will prevent "human rain delays" like Nomar Garciaparra (who used to :censored: around with his batting glove for like a minute and a half between hits) is a good thing.

There is already literally a rule that says the batter needs to keep one foot in the box at all times, or else he will be charged a strike.

The umpires just don't enforce it.

That's the plain and simple thing: Enforce that rule, and put a crackdown on players stepping out of the box to adjust every last part of their clothing and then scratch their nuts, and you reduce game time.

Agreed. But the pitch clock will also crack down on pitchers who are slower than molasses between throws. There won't be another Steve Trachsel, for example.

And some of them who do those weird moves before throwing the ball, will have to put a lid on that as well. There's one guy, I can't remember his name, but before every throw he did this weird thing that looked like he was dancing the hora while cradling a baby. :lol:

You need to do a Warner Wolf and "show us the videotape" That would be interesting.

If I ever remember the dude's name, I absolutely will.

All I know is that he's a currently active pitcher (I remember him doing this last season). At first I thought it was Kenley Jansen but I re-checked, and it's not him.

Last edited:
Gary Cohen had an interesting point during today's Mets game:

If a forward K signifies a swinging third strike, and a backwards K is a called third strike, what's going to be the symbol for a pitch-clock violation third strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back