MLB Offseason 2014-15: Wait, pitchers and catchers report WHEN?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Even if they're lying about everything else, I don't believe the Cubs would lie about "communicating with MLB". That might bring punishment.

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

How is Minnesota that much more of a dumpster fire than Chicago though?

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The pitching and farm system are particularly dire, and the offense is pretty much the textbook definition of league-average. They still have a lot of work to do in order to fix the scorched earth that Bill Smith left behind.

In other news that should surprise no one, Pablo Sandoval has been given the qualifying offer. In news that should surprise everyone, Michael God Damn Cuddyer was given a QO by the Rockies. For those keeping score at home, if he accepts that would be the highest salary of his career by 50 percent. At age 35.

Holy shit, Rockies.

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Do you mean the pitching in the farm system? Because the Twins farm system has often been rated as one of the highest overall. Yes, the current pitching is absolutely atrocious, but Meyer and Stewart are promising. Plus, I have to imagine that whoever the new pitching coach ends up being that he should be able to get what's expected out of some of the others that underperformed in the past couple years.

What do you feel the best definition of offense is? The bottom line, in runs scored, Twins were 7th this year. They didn't have a lot of trouble there, it was just in making sure their terrible pitching didn't give away more runs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Twins will be contending for a while, and I don't think Molitor is going to make a lick of difference, but from Maddon's point of view, I don't think the status of the two teams' current talent and farm talent is drastically different. The Cubs have more favorable pitching (currently and on the horizon), and given the way the Rays had gone, maybe that's a style he's more into.

5. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say the whole farm system is in pretty dire shape. It used to be one of the best, but that was quite a few years ago. The Twins are never going to spend their way to the top. In the past, they could rely on a good farm system to keep them competitive, but obviously that hasn't been the case for some time. Molitor has his work cut out for him.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Michael Cuddyer to the Mets. Linky

7. Timby

The Mets are giving up the 15th overall pick in exchange for two years of 35-year-old Michael Cuddyer, who was already injured for most of last season.

What in the actual fuck?

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

and they added Kevin Long as the Hitting Coach. Firing on all cylinders!

9. Timby

All outstanding QOs were turned down, meaning that players like Lester and Russell Martin have draft-pick compensation attached to them.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless you have a protected pick, like the Cubs do.

11. Timby

Compensation is still attached, it just becomes a second-round pick.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cubs now under investigation for tampering re: Maddon. Like so.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Braves are back to one pitcher again. Thanks, Frank Wren. It's going to be a long year.

14. Timby

Rosenthal is saying that the Mike Ilitch Money Cannon has found its first target and the Tigers are closing in on a four-year deal with Victor Martinez.

That's going to be at least two years too many.

15. Tom Hendricks

[​IMG]
    Just leave this here...

16. Tom Hendricks

Tigers reach 4 year deal with Martinez for 68 million.

17. Timby

There's word that Stanton's negotiations with the Marlins have hit the 13 / 320 mark. (With a no-trade and an opt-out.)

Um.

What.

Congratulations to Trout on his eventual 10 / 450 contract, I guess.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^That contract has disaster written all over it.

--Sran

19. Timby

In all likelihood, it's really a four- or five-year deal, given that it's reported there's an opt-out clause and I would expect it to come up around that time. That way, Stanton gets to get another monster contract while he's still in something resembling his prime (and he gets to bail if Loria goes back to playing his bullshit games, which isn't so much of an if as a when). The no-trade also gives him a lot of leverage.

Now, of course, taken on its face the contract is absolutely fucking bananas. I'm generally opposed to signing any player, position or otherwise, longer than five years, given that you have no idea if this stud you just locked up suddenly develops the yips / has a devastating injury / gets mauled by wildebeests, but I understand that you have to accept the possibility of having to deal with a few down years at the end of a deal as part of the cost of doing business. That being said, Jesus. Pujols is a Hall of Famer, but you can't tell me that the Angels don't regret having to pay him for seven more years at the money he signed for. No one needs to hand out a 12-year contract, not even if Willie Mays were playing today and in his prime.

Man, there needs to be a market correction on these deals before the owners decide to take it out on the players in the next round of labor negotiations.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Braves trade Tommy La Stella to the cubs to get Arodys Vizcaino back, who was once traded for Paul Maholm and Reed Johnson. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.