MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Ironically, the one player that didn't wear his pants up in this game was Tommy Hanson, the Braves starting pitcher. He paid for it by going on the DL after the game so I guess there is that.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

33 years ago today, Thurman Munson died :(

3. Use of Time

Did you watch that mini-series on ESPN called The Bronx is Burning? That show was a pretty cool summary of the Yankees of that era. RIP Thurm.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

No, actually I have never seen that. I probably should.

...and my other favorite team, Mets take 2 out of 3 from the Giants. :techman:

(I am so going to AT&T Park next year, BTW.)

5. Use of Time

I am not much of a Yankees fan but I thought the series was great and I suspect you would love it depending on how old of a Yankees fan you are. I have been to Oakland's ballpark but not the new Giants stadium. It looks great on T.V. Dress warmly.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Yeah, I heard about how bad the wind gets during Giants games. Back when they played at Candlestick, fans who lasted a whole game used to get awards! :lol:

I am also going to Oakland Coliseum in the same trip, but I'm getting that one out of the way first. For obvious reasons. :D

7. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Rockies are sooooo bad that I am now actually enjoying their amazing incompetence. Last week after the third out they all just stood out there in the field until the umpire had to remind them that the inning was over. One guy not paying attention I can buy, but it was all of them. They're all complete headcases at this point.

8. Use of Time

Yeah, you can tell when teams are just mailing it in. I watched the Braves steal second last night and the throw had the runner by about a foot with the tag and everything. The umpire called him safe and the second baseman for Florida was like "whatever" and just threw the ball back to the pitcher. No argument or frustration whatsoever.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Being a Marlins fan must be frustrating. They traded for Carlos Lee and then less then 19 days later they started giving everybody away

10. Starbreaker

I need some good advice on some cheap ways to park my rental car and get to Fenway and Citizens Bank Park. Never been to Boston or Philly so I'm a total n00b.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went to a 15 inning game last night and stayed for a Fireworks show. At least the A's won, and again, on a walk off. Still going to be a tiring day I think.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Upton brothers make it to 100 career HRs in the same night...having also both hit their 99th on the same day as well (July 20). Linky

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

There's no real great place if you're going to Citizen's Bank Park (that area of South Philly is essentially a sport's complex and I'm sure any neighbors are not fans of people parking near them). However, if it's a day game, you can always take the subway (Broad Street line). I'm not sure where to park, though.

Sadly, as someone from the suburbs who never went to every game, I usually just parked in the stadium parking, which will be overpriced and miserable when you want to leave.

ETA: This is helpful

It says that FDR Park on Pattison is cheap (formerly free) and all day. If that exists (and isn't sold out, go early), it isn't far from the stadium.

14. Starbreaker

I got to drive by Progressive Field last night on the highway. That field looks !@#$ing awesome when it's lit up from the outside. Sadly, no baseball being played.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Citizens Bank Park is a nice place to visit - I enjoyed it a lot when I was there. There is a lot of parking available in the complex, but it fills up quick, especially by tailgaters (tailgating starts hours before the game does).

You could take the subway down there, but Philly's transit system appears to be stuck in a time warp from 1980 so don't expect a nice ride. Also the various stadia down in that complex are still a huge distance apart, so if you want to see all of them, bring comfortable shoes.

16. Use of Time

Paul Maholm's Brave debut tonight was pretty good. 7 innings, 8 k's but he gave up two monster homerun's to Justin Maxwell...like 30 rows deep into left field. He took the loss but didn't really get much help from the offense. I think he will be a great supplement to the rotation.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Parking is always available, it's just expensive. If not a CBP, then at the NovaCare complex.

On the plus side, it's a single fare regardless of distance if I'm not mistaken (it's been awhile since I've ridden it). This sets it apart from the DC Metro, which is kind of a pain with pricing. I also don't really recommend walking around the sports complex anyway unless you have a good reason. It's not only spread out, but fairly barren.

18. Starbreaker

I just bought a ticket to Fenway. I paid the $10 to park about two miles away so that's not too bad. I'm really excited.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I've never been a huge fan of Ryan Dempster (he only really turns it on in his walk years), but he bought this full-page ad in Friday's Chicago Tribune, and that's pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Cubs trade Jeff Baker to Detroit for 2 minor leaguers to be names.

Then bring up Josh Vitters & Brett Jackson. Better to call them up now so they can get the extra month of experience vs. waiting till September.