MLB 2023 Season: Rangers are going hunting for Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard something today that Ohtani had not been given a day off since early May. I guess it's a tightrope to walk in terms of when to rest the most newsworthy player in baseball, but Ohtani needs rest every so often. I feel like this injury was 100% avoidable and considering where the Angels are, they should have shut him down last week. It was a shit-show all the way around.

I heard something today that Ohtani had not been given a day off since early May. I guess it's a tightrope to walk in terms of when to rest the most newsworthy player in baseball, but Ohtani needs rest every so often. I feel like this injury was 100% avoidable and considering where the Angels are, they should have shut him down last week. It was a shit-show all the way around.

This sucks.

Stephen Strasburg, who's only made eight starts since winning the World Series due to a series of injuries, calls it quits.

This sucks.

They probably trusted that he knew what was going on with his body.
Most competitive players will bullshit themselves and the team and try to "play through it". This shows me the Angels value potential wins above player health.

I'm certain there are other teams like that.

Most competitive players will bullshit themselves and the team and try to "play through it". This shows me the Angels value potential wins above player health.

I'm certain there are other teams like that.

If they wanted an MRI and Ohtani refused, that is squarely in his court.

Watching the Mets/Angels game. There was a shot of Ohtani in the dugout and written on the whiteboard behind ihim is the phrase "Ya Tan De". I'm guessing this is Japanese. Anybody know what it means?

This is all I could find. Someone posted this on Twitter in Japanese:

"YA TAN DE!!" "It means 'yattade' which is 'changed' from 'yattardade' in Kansai dialect"

I'd bet that the contract a player signs would say otherwise, but I've never seen one of those contracts.

I’m sure the Angels could’ve pressed the issue with him. Though I doubt it would’ve made him more eager to resign with the team in the Fall.

I’m sure the Angels could’ve pressed the issue with him. Though I doubt it would’ve made him more eager to resign with the team in the Fall.
Probably this. It didn't do either side any favors though, and letting him continue to play at all is another risky move for both sides.

Probably this. It didn't do either side any favors though, and letting him continue to play at all is another risky move for both sides.

The thing is, I don't know what in the world Perry Minasian was thinking by going to the press and essentially saying, "Look, we tried to take care of him but he just didn't want the MRI!" It risks (further) alienating Ohtani while also doing absolutely nothing to make themselves look any less negligent in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back