MLB 2022 Season: Houston Warship: Go Phuck Yourselves

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Apr 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yankees make the first move of trade season; pitchers Beck Way, Chandler Champlain and TJ Sikkeman to the Royals for Benintendi.

Those are lower-tier prospects in the Yankees' system--New York has been drafting well, but pitching isn't one of them. While Sikkema is ranked #19 and Way is #21, in the Yankees' farm, Champlain isn't ranked at all, they rank pretty low overall across the league. Only one who looks like maybe a #4 starter right now is Sikkema.

I wonder if this means Joey Gallo is headed for a DFA soon.

Mr. Laser Beam and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Chandler Champlain spelled backwards is nialpmahC reldnahC. Seriously, is that a baseball name or what?

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that Andrew Benintendi has been traded to the Yankees, he's willing to get vaccinated.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the hell was his problem before? Something about being a Royal that made him antivaxx?

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Most likely the Yankees said "Here's a truckload of money, get your fucking shot."

Ar-Pharazon and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  6. Aragorn

The story I got the Benintendi news from updated, now says he's "open-minded" to getting vaccinated but hasn't made a decision. :brickwall:

7. Timby

If I'm recalling correctly, the Yankees go to Toronto the last week of the season, so we'll know if he got the shot(s) by whether he travels with the team or not.

Edit: And to be considered fully vaxxed and to enter Canada, it must be at least 14 days since you completed your vaccination regimen, so Benintendi doesn't have a ton of time to make up his mind.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  8. Aragorn

Mariners trade three of their top five prospects plus a fourth minor leaguer to the Reds for starting pitcher Luis Castillo.

9. Timby

Almost certainly takes them out of the running for Soto, and that's a pricey haul for a little over a year of team control, which will likely inflate the price for Soto, since he doesn't hit free agency until 2025.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Maybe the Mariners needed SP more than an OF guy?

I'm counting down the minutes until I'm officially done with the Cubs, which I mostly have been since the great fire sale of 2021. Ricketts plans to keep coasting off the one WS win for as long as possible.

11. Timby

Cubs send Chris Martin to Los Angeles for Zach McKinstry, who is the Cubs' favorite type of player: A scrappy utility infielder who can't hit.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  12. Aragorn

Runner on second, Padres batter gets a hit that looks like it will likely drive in the tying run, but it hits the second base umpire. They make the runner to back to second. And in the end, San Diego was unable to score.

Rule is if the ball hits the umpire first, it's a dead ball.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  13. Aragorn

Reid Detmers becomes the third pitcher to throw a no-hitter and immaculate inning in the same season, after Sandy Koufax and Mike Fiers.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  14. Timby

Not to pile on the Angels misery (sorry, Digits), but the Angels managed to bat under the Mendoza line as a team in July, only the third time since 1907 that a team has done that.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

16. Aragorn

Braves DFA Robinson Cano. He's been on three teams this year. This is how most careers end, still trying to play long past their primes. It's difficult to leave on your own terms, especially when you played at an elite level.

17. Aragorn

Braves give Austin Riley a 10-year, $212 million extension.

Yankees trade four prospects to the Athletics for Frankie Montas and Lou Trivino.

Astros get Trey Mancini in a three-team trade with the Orioles and Rays.

18. Ar-Pharazon

The New York Yankees acquired right-handed reliever Scott Effross from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for minor league right-hander Hayden Wesneski on Monday.

Might be the dumbest trade yet. I thought the deadline was yesterday.

19. Timby

The trade deadline was traditionally July 31 (coincidentally, my birthday). It was moved to August 2 as part of the new CBA.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  20. Ar-Pharazon

See, some of the stories I've seen were still saying July 31st. So even the sports writers are confused by the change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.