Michael B. Jordan as the Man Of Steel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mage, Nov 26, 2019.

1. doylem1

doylem1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't go to the cinema but if it were on T.V then yes I would give it a try

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Relax, a black Superman isn’t a threat to you.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why does one need to be ashamed of themselves for believing in diversity? If you give me a good Superman movie with a white actor, I'd go see it just as easily. I've seen Superman Returns and Man of Steel both in theaters. Along with Batman vs. Superman and Justice League. Own various Superman movies on Blu-ray.

He's also, at times, been black, couldn't fly (only jump an eighth of a mile), didn't have heat vision or freeze breath, had electrical powers, been depicted as landing in the Soviet Union.

Yet, somehow, skin color is the thing that people get upset over...

Sci, Turtletrekker, gblews and 5 others like this.
  4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Still Racist.

Turtletrekker and gblews like this.
  5. Awesome Possum

[​IMG]
    I love his suit. Jordan is a great actor though, Creed is amazing and a great addition to the Rocky franchise.

Campe and BillJ like this.
  6. BillJ

We also shouldn't forget the character wore red shorts for most of the time since his creation. We're okay changing the color of shorts, as long as they don't change the color of his skin. :eek:

Captaindemotion and Campe like this.
  7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or maybe I’m not threatened if a fictional alien being is played by an actor of color?

But, to answer your question, why is it wrong, or more specifically, why is it racist: because literally you have said you won’t see something because of an actor’s race. Not because of a specific actor or a director or a writer. But race is your determining factor.

“But Superman isn’t black”

Superman isn’t real.

I have seen so many different actors play Hamlet, different colors, different accents. And I was able to sit back and enjoy the story of the Danish Prince because it’s a good fucking story.

Wrap yourself however you want, contextualize your opinion however you want, but you are choosing to not see something because of a human being’s skin color.

Sci, Turtletrekker, lurok and 5 others like this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You already said that previously
    And I see you've already made another post after your second claiming you were done here.

I am also "done with this thread." Which really means I'll be back in a bit.

Turtletrekker, gblews, lurok and 3 others like this.
  9. BillJ

I'm super done with this thread. Which means I may or may not make another thirty posts in it.

10. BillJ

/end thread

lurok, Professor Zoom and Campe like this.
  11. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I thought I'd chime in here as a white guy who lives in a country with a long history of racial oppression. I don't feel any kind of privilege in being white, even if I have experienced it in some ways. And I will never apologize for being white because I haven't done anything wrong. But as a viewer of TV and films, I often find myself being extremely bored when every genre movie or series stars a thirty-something white guy. They all start to blend together after a while.
    I haven't seen anyone say that white Superman is wrong, but you are saying that a version who could be a lot of kid's favorite Superman is wrong on the basis of his skin color alone.
    Then you don't have to pay any attention to it. There is a Superman series on the way, just watch that.

This is the hill I'll die on. Superman without the red trunks looks unbalanced.

BillJ likes this.
  12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was incredibly offensive. Using this image to make some nebulous "point" about a creative interest of a work of fiction is in no way analogous to the real human cost of racist disenfranchisement from job/survival opportunities suffered by generations of black people (including many in my family).

One situation actually cost the lives of innumerable people who could not survive, and/or feed their families and/or were forced into a still existing racial caste system. The other is about a comic book character and an actor's interest (something the black people I'm talking about next-to-never had in their seeking basic employment) of (or surrounding) that has no bearing on, or is comparable to generational/institutional racism whatsoever, nor is that disastrous system applicable to anyone arguing about the race of a comic book alien.

DarKush and theenglish like this.
  13. Awesome Possum

I’d say that people ranting against the very concept of a black Superman is just another symptom of a much larger issue in society that causes harms in multiple ways.

DarKush, Sci and BillJ like this.
  14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not okay with them changing his shorts. Underwear over the tights is how Supes is supose to fight crime. Jason

The Realist likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's pretty minor change in the greater scheme of things.

When did fan art suddenly become news worthy????????? The mind boggles.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    BillJ likes this.
  16. Awesome Possum

Some sites are just speculation from Twitter or Reddit being passed off as rumors and insider information.

17. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I have some bad news for you.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good. I intended it to be. This thread offends me. So I intentionally posted something or exceedingly poor taste in order to prove a point. What I don't understand is why aren't you offended by it more?

Exactly.

The point isn't nebulous at all. And if this scenario exceeds beyond the hypothetical to the point of Jordan openly campaigning for the role and is turned down because Warner Brother doesn't want a black Superman then that is absolutely disenfranchisement - and a blatant first stop down a terrible and dark slippery slope.

And here's where you lost me. I have nothing but the sincerest sympathy for you and yours. Nor would I ever belittle the direct result and social effect of Jim Crow. But the reason why I chose that image specifically is that I think it's important not to immediately be reductively dismissive of what's happening here just because it's a comic book character.

After all, Superman is generational and probably the one fictional character emblematic of the [current state] American zeitgeist. And has been for nearly a century. So while on the surface he maybe just a guy who flys around, shoots lasers from his eyes, and fight robots. He is, more than any other single fictional character, the sole representative of the collective 'us." And that will never be fully true until he can start representing all 'our' faces.

But it's also important to acknowledge that, just because Jordan has wealth and privilege and the chance of other lucrative work, being denied something he covets isn't true freedom. However, I don't ever see that happening. Because if he really wants the job, WB will give it to him. Because of course they will.

But this argument really isn't about Jordan. Or his wealth and privilege. It's about all the others who don't have it. And all those opposed to him having it (or getting the job). I have no doubt that somewhere out there in greater interwebz, exists someone having the same argument making the same 'justifications' of why there shouldn't be a black Superman or Bond or whatever. And I have no doubt that that person is in a position to hire people. It may not even be intentional, but even if it's subconscious if that person goes on the internet every day to make these kinds of arguments that these 'justifications' will start influencing their real work. And will inevitably be in a situation where they're presented with two equally qualified applicants differentiated only by their skin color. And that's a problem. Because whether it's a matter putting food on the table and making rent or a big C-Suite promotion, until all people are free to pursue any and all avenues of employment they desire, what does it matter in the grand scheme?

More importantly, however, there is - as Possum said - a greater threat at work here, especially if we replace 'racism' with 'bigotry'. And there have been an increasing number of escalatingly draconian laws (both federal and state) that bare striking similarity to some of the language of Jim Crow. It's been a slow buildup, and the direct focus of it may have changed a little, but it's insidious and persistent. Which is why I don't mind getting in the mud of poor taste a bit in my own small attempt to nip it in the bud.

And it's why I think it's more important than ever to have a POC Superman.

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Segregationist mentality.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

This thread is temporarily closed to participants a chance to calm down, "the better angels of our nature" so to speak.