Meyer Possibly Developing Khan Miniseries

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Shalashaska, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not unless this rumored miniseries is released under the Discovery banner.

2. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Actually that's kind of what happened. DS9 was never going to hit like TNG and the studio wanted another ship-based show that might.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

This is pure speculation based on a line from an interview two months ago, which already sparked wild speculation at the various clickbait sites.

Apparently they figure that enough time has passed that they think people will be fooled into assuming there is some new information behind it, or missed the first wave of clickbait.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

We had Space Seed, TWOK and Into Darkness. Enough with Khan, already.

EmoBorg, KirkusOveractus and KennyB like this.
  5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

There's absolutely no verification of this AT ALL, anywhere. At best, the fact Meyer is working on a project shows how much faith the studio(s) have in ST and concurrent ST, which is something we thought they lost after Voyager/DS9.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given just how many dislikes the Discovery Trailer has I wouldn't bet any money on that faith...

7. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

My "sources" say that this is a bullshit clickbait article..............

8. KennyB

This article is spreading like wildfire and I'm not buying it until a more mainstream source runs with it and actually names where they got the information.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This non-story and some of the reactions online including YT are plants to seed dissent and negative feelings for DSC.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nah, that wasn't why VOY was created. What happened was that when UPN launched, that new TV network wanted a Star Trek show as part of its lineup. Berman & company chose a starship-based series since TNG had come to an end. In comparison, DS9 was on a separate outlet--first-run syndication--so it had no real bearing on the creation of VOY except in regards to the Maquis, the Cardassians, and other internal story elements.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Markonian likes this.
  11. KennyB

You know I don't generally like or dislike videos on YouTube.........I don't think that is a good measurement. We won't really know much till Oct-Nov timeframe about how it is being received.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Network is trying to reboot a franchise that hasn't been on TV in over a decade, so they green-light a second series to be helmed by a guy whose barley done any work in the industry in three decades.

Seems legit.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  13. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed! In any case, reactions to trailers are not a good indication. Remember that very first trailer for Avatar? People called in Ferngully in space, hardly the revolutionairy film Cameron promised... but in the end, it became the highest grossing film at the time.... it goes both ways I guess, there have been awesome trailers for poot films as well... in the end the only thing that matters is how the public reacts to the final product... in that regard, September 24 is crucial.

Greg Cox and KennyB like this.
  14. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That's how all these clickbait sites work - they take a line from an interview, spin it into some grand revelation, refer to mysterious "sources" and then spam it - often citing each other as if any of them have any credibility.

The worst bit is that this is just a new wave of the speculation which first followed this interview, two months ago.

Markonian and shapeshifter like this.
  15. KennyB

It does crack me up when I try to track down an original source and it all leads back to the bullshit story. Next Dark Horizon's or Collider will write about it and it will almost seem legit.

16. brandnewfan

brandnewfan Commander Red Shirt

IMO, this is pretty exciting and it opens up loads of other potential miniseries ideas, that before would have been implausible.

1. A Section 31 miniseries
    2. Captain Riker and the USS Titan
    3. Michael Dorn's abandoned Captain Worf series
    4. The Eugenics War
    5. World War III
    6. Starfleet Academy
    7. The Earth-Romulan War
    8. Something to finally show Captain Robert April
    9. A Maquis mini taking place during the Dominion War and showing a good war story, but ending with the Maquis basically getting wiped out
    10. The Enterprise-C after Yesterday's Enterprise; featuring Tasha Yar and Sela
    11. A Terok Nor mini set during the occupation of Bajor

Things to flesh out the backstory of various periods throughout Trek history, or even go forward post-Nemesis. Ideas that are fun but would have never been made into an ongoing series can now happen as a miniseries.

17. KennyB

Let the fan wank flow..............

Vger23 likes this.
  18. Thefallguy

Thefallguy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it's true, I'm sure, it will be on AllAccess also. CBS is building their own 'TrekFlix'. Like 'brandnewfan' I also think, that if it comes, there'll be a lot more to follow. Although I'm pretty sure, some topics from his list won't ever surface as theme for a (mini) series.

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I agree. Star Trek was not a series about Khan. The fans who always want Khan are the same ones yelling that Star Trek should be about moving forward.

TWOK hasn't aged well, and is now to the point of oversaturation.

20. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I know the idea of Section 31 is disliked by a lot of people, but that's what makes for better drama. I'd love to see stories about what they influenced during the TOS and TNG era.

Maybe they could do episodes where they take footage from the other series, and have someone doing stuff in the background like Trials and Tribble-ations.