MeTV's SuperSci-Fi Saturday Night

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 21, 2014.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

This week, on The Incredible Hulk:

"Dark Side"
    Originally aired December 5, 1980

Events in the news in the weeks since the previous episode aired:
    "Whole Lotta Love," Led Zeppelin
    Bonus Tribute Link
    (Charted Nov. 2, 1969; #4 US; #75 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

New on the U.S. charts in the above-mentioned weeks:

"Hey Nineteen," Steely Dan

(#10 US; #11 AC; #68 R&B)

"9 to 5," Dolly Parton

(#1 US the weeks of Feb. 21 and Mar. 14, 1981; #1 AC; #1 Country; #77 Dance; #47 UK)

"Keep on Loving You," REO Speedwagon

(#1 US the week of Mar. 21, 1981; #9 Rock; #7 UK)

"Games People Play," The Alan Parsons Project

(#16 US)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We'll be getting a new addition to the Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup. I couldn't find the MeTV promo, so here's one from when the show originally came out.

Would you guys want to just expand this to a general retro SFF TV thread? I've started watching Bionic Woman (the original),Six Dollar Man, and the British TV Avengers, and I was wanting to talk about them here, but technically they don't qualify for this thread since it's supposed to be just Me's Saturday shows. I figured if we did this it would also open up discussions of stuff on other retro TV channels and streaming services.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Galileo7 likes this.
  3. The Old Mixer

That's what I created this thread for...to get the discussion of other retro programming out of this one.

You're welcome to bring discussion of The Avengers (which I've been reviewing myself) and the bionic shows over there.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved this one :hugegrin:

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Nice. :rommie:

I never much liked Led Zep when I was a teenager, but I've mellowed. This is a pretty good one.

I love Steely Dan and this is probably my favorite song of theirs. Of course, these days I sort of sigh and drift off after the line "Sweet things from Boston, so young and willing." Those were the days. :rommie:

This is the bad 80s. :(

This is the good 80s. :bolian: REO Speedwagon did some great, almost operatic, stuff.

This is quite good. Alan Parsons Project is a good band, although they never topped "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You."

Interesting. I wonder what's going to be replaced. Probably Star Trek, unfortunately. I probably won't get much of a chance to watch, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing the original BSG straight through again, just to see what it looks like at this stage of the game.

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Incredible Hulk
    "Dark Side"--

After hours at Devin Chemicals, employee David Barnard steals several cups of the powdered form of Prolixin from the Control Drugs storage room...

David is a boarder at the home of Mike & Ellen Schulte and their daughter Laurie; Mike, an often absentee parent (thanks to his boating jobs) missed Laurie's graduation and other important moments of her life, causing the teenager's reactions to her father to go from cold to bitter. Over time, Laurie has developed a crush on David, which angers the neglected Mike. Inviting David downstairs for dinner, the teen questions David's apparently serious research--

Laurie: "It's as if something's happening in here, you know? Something important."
    David: "Oh, finding a new formula for lipstick cohesion."
    Laurie: "Is that what you're really doing?"
    David: "I'm afraid so, yeah."
    Laurie: "No vaccines? No cure for the big C? No changing lead to gold?"
    David: "No, nothing so spectacular. I'm afraid I'm just like everybody else, Laurie. I'm trying to find a way of making money. Survival."
    Laurie: "You're not like everybody else."

Dinner does not go too well, as Laurie is oblivious to Mike's stories, instead focusing her attention on David--once again, not winning any points with Mike.

That evening, David continues his search for a cure, listening to his recorded notes--

David: "Control of the creature, I believe, can now be concentrated in one area: the primitive, aggressive right side of the brain. By supporting activity in this quadrant, I can hopefully build the left side's intellectual dominance and prevent further seizures. Utilizing the carotid arterial pathway, I hope to saturate the right side target area, before any of the drug reaches the left side of the brain."

Adding to the recording--

David:
    "If any of the residual elements should slip past, I think they would be of insufficient quantity and strength so as to not adversely affect the subject."

With a less than enthusiastic expression, David injects his formula into his carotid artery, causing an increasingly uncomfortable reaction--

David: (into his recorder, breathing heavily): "Muscle tension...pronounced aching...drowsiness....reactions not following projected analysis. Vision impairment...increasing... Something wrong! Something....wrong.."

David's mind is lost in a tense "flashback" of ancient tribal people--a man (perhaps a version of himself) pursuing another male and a female, with his spear finding its mark in the back of the male--an act shocking David into consciousness...but he's suddenly thrilled at his ancient half's kill. Banner laughs at his newfound, darker personality--mocking his true self--

David: "A mistake...you really messed up, didn't you, Banner? Hmm? You've always tried so hard to suppress the creature. You don't want him released....well, I do! And I can. And I will!!"

David raids the refrigerator, tearing into chicken like an animal while gulping down alcohol--laughing to himself. Laurie (initially hearing the laughing from David's room), discovers the coarse man with a frightening, lascivious demeanor--eventually reaching for the teen (mirroring his ancient self doing the same to a tribeswoman), until he temporarily broken out of his lustful intention by a cut on his hand--causing him to shed tears in his conflicted emotional state. Mike enters the kitchen, suspects what's going on, and orders David to leave in a week's time--emphasizing the point by grabbing Banner's shoulder; in turn, Banner warns Mike never to touch him again--while channeling his primal side--then suddenly behaves as normal, apologizing for his behavior.

In his room, the normal side of David listens to his chemically-induced side's sinister ramblings from the recorder; disturbed, and needing time to find a cure for yet another problem, he calls Devin Chemicals, asking for a sick day; the receptionist--Ms. Farber--has been trying to flirt her way into David's life, and continues to do so, inviting him to a private club called The Swingtime. Banner dodges the invite.

The rift in the Schulte family is plain as day as Laurie stares at the empty seat David once occupied, much to the annoyance of her father. Upstairs, David has greater concerns--

David (recording) : "The tests on my blood show that the experimental serum has interacted negatively with my brain's natural catecholamines. The result is a new hybrid enzyme, hereafter referred to as Enzyme 7. Instead of suppressing aggressive tendencies, Enzyme 7 has the reverse effect. It releases primal, even violent impulses.
    There's a twofold danger to the effects of Enzyme 7: I'm more likely to undergo metamorphosis, and the creature will reflect a different and highly aggressive personality. I believe that another injection, utilizing a strong Prolixin-amino compound will reverse the effects of the experiment. However, I must get Prolixin in very soon. Enzyme 7 continues to be produced, and its effects will most likely return, perhaps for a longer period of time. Perhaps permanently."

Laurie (bringing David a dinner tray) questions why he's addressing her as Laurie instead of the "adult" Laura from the previous evening; Banner cites being ill as the cause of is behavior, but Laurie--apparently--only saw the "flirtatious" side of the incident, and presses forward with her interest--

Laurie: "I'm 18, you know, last month!"
    David: "Look, Laurie you're a lovely girl--"
    Laurie: (touching David's hand) "A woman. That's what you said, isn't it? A woman?"

Laurie's touch momentarily triggers the Enzyme 7 effects--channeling David's ancient, dark self--bringing his lustful identity to the forefront, only for the real David to "beat it back," and rush Laurie (professing her feelings & kissing him) from his room. Titillated by visions of Laurie & Ms. Farber, the beast overtakes David, sending him to the seedier side of town, or more specifically, The Swingtime nightclub. Once inside, David spots Ms. Farber, and immediately makes his move on her--and punching her angry date; the date and his friends drag the mocking David into a secluded hallway, breaking a metal chair over his back, and kicking him with no end in sight...a frightening mix of joy and rage on his face, as he begins to Hulk out...

The "Dark Hulk" hurls the attackers back into the club, and slowly, menacingly corners Ms. Farber's date on a 2nd story walkway; the man leaps to one of the "talent" swings, falls to the floor, with the Hulk jumping down behind him, narrowly missing crushing the date's hull with a deliberate stomp. With the club's patrons in panic mode--one screaming that the Hulk "is going to kill" one of the date's friends--the Hulk spots Ms. Farber, still somewhat driven by his lustful Dark Banner mind, but fails to carry out whatever was on his mind with the arrival of the police. The Hulk breaks out the club wall, and before returning to the Schulte home, terrorizes a meat delivery man...

The next morning, Mike informs Laurie that "your David" stumbled in--probably "juiced up on something" and warns that the man--twice her age with no clue about his background is not what she thinks he is. In his room, a shaken, rocking David listens to the radio report of the Hulk's destruction of the nightclub--

Man on radio: "And so I look up, and this thing--this like, monster, you know, it comes charging into the club, real big and vicious, you know? It threw this one guy all the way across the room! Oh, it was unreal--totally unreal!"
    Woman on radio: "The first thing I saw, it just ran in and started wrecking everything, like it wanted to kill us all! It was horrible-I mean I was terrified!"
    Reporter: "There you have it--whatever IT was, the damage to the Swingtime club is extensive. And so far, the casualty rate from the brawl stands at 12 injured, three seriously..."

Shaking, suffering from spasms, David records a grim message--

David: "Last night's spontaneous takeover by my right-side personality is clearly indicative of Enzyme 7's phenomenal growth rate. My attempt to procure Prolixin and other chemo derivatives needed to win this...fight and curb aggression, must be made this afternoon--Saturday. I can only hope that my resistance to uh.... to the other is strong enough to keep it from gaining control again. Difficult...to maintain...objective viewpoint. Perspective distorted...constant strain to hold on"

To shift Laurie's attention from David, Mike invites Jimmy--a classmate--over, but the young man is largely ignored as Laurie tries to chase after David. The second Mike restrains Laurie, David's dark side suddenly returns--the man demanding Mike to let go of Lauire. Incensed, Mike orders David to leave the house that same day, with Jimmy eager to assert his manhood against Banner. Mike promises Jimmy his daughter will date him--the plan rejected outright by Laurie. Her mother refuses to offer an opinion.

At Devin Chemicals, David prepares to inject himself with the antidote to Enzyme 7, but said dark side (now with David in the ancient flashbacks) stops himself, laughing at his good side. Later, as Laurie paces in her room, awaiting David's return, Ellen accuses Mike of thinking about shipping out again because he cannot deal with Laurie's unforgiving resistant attitude; while Mike promises he's not leaving, the lustful David seduces a teary-eyed Laurie, convincing her to run away with him.

Making their way out of the house, David cackles wildly, kicking Mike's face, and promising he will give Laurie the adult attention she's needed. Outside, Jimmy pulls up, but Banner--pretending to have a gun in his pocket--steals the car and speeds away, still cackling. Mike--ignoring Ellen's screaming protests--grabs his gun, and the two drive after Banner.

In the stolen car, David fights with himself, gripping the antidote to either use or discard it. In his drug-induced visions, the good David is attacked by the ancient, primal side of himself, the unhinged distractions causing him to lose control of the car, which crashes in a lake--sinking. David is thrown free of the vehicle, still clutching the antidote. Mike and Ellen pull up just as Laurie's car--with the teen still strapped in--sinks. Banner hears the screaming, but is too caught in his own internal war, until his good side manages to hold off the bad long enough for Banner to inject himself and--fearing the threat to Laurie's life--turn into the Hulk. The creature pulls the car out of the lake, and frees Laurie. With parents and child watching, the Hulk runs away.

Sometime later--the drama of David long gone, Laurie returns home after a date with Jimmy. Reconciled with her father, she watches him burn old photos from his seaman days, telling Laurie that he's over the old thrills of using the job as an escape...that family life is not so bad after all. Laurie admits her attraction to David represented the chance for escape, but cannot forget that part of her feelings stemmed from recognizing that he was dealing with some sort of pain.

NOTES:

Jack McGee does not appear in this episode.

This is a cure-related episode...on steroids.

Bill Bixby's range shines again in this episode; for a character known for being sensitive and well aware of the darker emotions he so naturally avoids, seeing an artificially created "inner demon" brought to the forefront was fascinating. So few times in TV or movie history do we see a successful "dark side" as the actor is usually incapable of doing anything other than going to the stereotypical "evil twin" or Hyde playbook, which wore out most of its welcome (with very few exceptions) in the 1960s. Here, David even turns his signature line, "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" upside down--used for the first (and only) time as a real threat.

Another interesting touch was David emotionally & physically struggling against the effects of Enzyme 7 much in the same way seen as a Hulk-out is triggered; in both cases, he's fighting the "beast" in himself.

Alternate take of the Hulk breaking out of a brick wall (standing in for the nightclub), and waving his hands, originally shot during the production of season one with the more familiar take re-used in other TIH episodes, as well as the TV commercial for the Hulk live show at Universal's studio tour.

David is thrown free from the car while driving with a woman. This could be the second time in series history (after the pilot). Bad luck to ride around with David?

GUEST CAST:

Returning to TIH this week is Marvel TV adaptation baddie William Lucking (Mike Schulte), last seen in season two's "The Antowuk Horror" and Captain America II: Death Too Soon. (CBS, 1979)

[​IMG]
    • Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (Warner Bros., 1975)
    • Dr. Scorpion (ABC, 1978)
    • The Incredible Hulk (CBS, 1978) - "The Antowuk Horror"
    • Captain America II: Death Too Soon (CBS, 1979)
    • The Greatest American Hero (ABC 1982) - "It's All Downhill From Here"
    • Voyagers! (NBC, 1982) - "Cleo and the Babe"
    • Tales of the Gold Monkey (ABC, 1983) - "Legends Are Forever" & "Honor Thy Brother"
    • J.O.E. and the Colonel (ABC, 1985)
    • Outlaws (CBS, 1986) - series regular as Harland Pike; created by TIH's Nicholas J. Corea
    • Duplicates (Paramount Television, 1992)
    • The Man Who Wouldn't Die (Universal, 1995)
    • Sleepstalker (Prism Entertainment Corporation, 1995)
    • The X-Files (FOX, 1996) - "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
    • Millennium (FOX, 1997) - "Loin Like a Hunting Flame"
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Syndicated, 1995-1997) - "Shakaar" / "The Darkness and the Light" / "Ties of Blood and Water" - all as Furel
    • K-PAX (Lawrence Gordon Productions, 2001)
    • Star Trek: Enterprise (UPN, 2005) - "Bound"
    • Night Stalker (ABC, 2005) - "Burning Man"
    • Slipstream (Strand Releasing, 2007)
    Rosemary Forsyth (Ellen)--
    • The Immortal (ABC, 1970) - "Reflections on a Lost Tomorrow"
    • City Beneath the Sea (NBC, 1971) - Irwin Allen's failed pilot
    • Rod Serling's Night Gallery (NBC, 1972) - "Deliveries in the Rear"
    • Star Trek: Voyager (UPN, 1997) - "Scientific Method"
    • Ghosts of Mars (Screen Gems, 2001)
    Philece Sampler (Laurie)--
    • Shadow Chasers (ABC, 1985) - created by Kenneth Johnson & Brian Grazer
    • Aaahh! Real Monsters (Nickelodeon,1994-97)
    • Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (Sotsu Agency, 1991)
    • The Incredible Hulk (UPN, 1996-97) - voice of Betty Ross
    • Vampire Princess Miyu (TV Tokyo, 1997-98)
    • King's Quest VIII: Mask of Eternity (Sierra Entertainment, 1998)
    • DinoZaurs (Saban Entertainment, 2000)

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? "Do It Again" and "Josie" are tied in my book for the best of that act.

We will have to agree to disagree about which side of the 80s this falls on...

Star Trek? Who knows, but Lost in Space needs a long vacation. Its not the kind of true TV classic that can weather several cycles of complete runs, and the nostalgia factor fades with each passing year.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know about that one, but I was thinking we could also have one, either this one or another, that was just for genre shows.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That makes sense, since the other thread is in the general TV & Movies forum rather than SF&F.

10. The Old Mixer

Well, technically The Avengers would belong over there, same as James Bond.

But it would've been nice if there'd been some consensus on this topic a year and a half ago, in which case I probably never would have created that thread....I won't be subdividing my review business over there because somebody belatedly decided to change the focus of this one.

You'll note that I chose a live version of a track from their early work in the late '60s, rather than taking the Stairway to Obviousville.

I wonder if their reference to Aretha Franklin as a forgotten artist played any role in spurring her chart comeback in the mid-'80s.

Interesting...I hadn't dug that deep into their singles chart-wise when putting them in my playlists, but that one definitely sounds familiar...as does "Damned If I Do," which played after it....

Does everyone know that Alan Parsons was an engineer at Abbey Road Studios who worked on Abbey Road, Let It Be, and Dark Side of the Moon? If not, there ya go!

I'd do it, but I don't get Me these days and they yanked it from Netflix....

I lean in your direction on this one. REO is OK, they have some classic rock cred, but they and Foreigner are the harbingers of the '80s power ballad.

It wouldn't be a terrible blow to Trek if it were TOS, since H&I is playing all the shows six nights a week. But what you say about LiS is what I've thought about Wonder Woman since the days that I still had Me....

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I confess: I don't actually watch STAR TREK on MeTV. I like the idea of TOS still airing on regular TV, but I know all the episodes by heart and have them all on DVD if I want to rewatch them. I prefer checking out stuff like LAND OF THE GIANTS or THE NIGHT STALKER that I haven't seen in decades . .. . .

12. The Old Mixer

Well, if the focus of the thread is changing, then the "Saturday Night" restriction goes out the window....

_______

"Dark Side"--Such a good, concept-based premise that had so much more potential than how it was realized in the mundane situation of this episode....

Could've sworn he'd used that one before, but my list tells me otherwise.

I've brought this up before, but Banner making tapes while pursuing his cure research is such a wasted opportunity for the show...and here he presumably leaves his tapes behind in his room...!

I always found the tribal imagery to be an odd choice. Here you've got a guy who already transforms into a big, green rage monster--the "raging demon that dwells within him," as the opening narration tells us every week--but the more aggressive side of his personality is symbolized by something else, and something much more ordinary. Of course, it's because the show has firmly established by now that David's "raging demon" is a big, cuddly teddy bear who tosses bad guys onto canopy beds, so they have to give us something else to represent his really, really dark side.

One might infer that Banner always had this part of him buried somewhere deeper inside than even the creature, perhaps informing the rage/anger that often triggered and motivated that "raging demon".

I have my issues with this episode's realization of its premise, but Banner going all Dr. Jekyll in his rented room is a classic moment; Bixby milks his opportunity to chew the scenery for all it's worth.

His renaming her after Dead Wife #1 is a nice bit of business...though it sounds like he's calling her "Laurel" later in the episode.

More likely 24 last month from what I was able to find online...but still young enough to be Bixby's daughter.

-24:51. All the things you quote, and you don't slip in David finally, ironically repeating his famous opening-credits catchphrase? :p

It would have been interesting if Evil David had been able to willfully trigger his metamorphosis without getting himself beat up. Anyway, they do manage to effectively convey the more aggressive Hulk even though he still doesn't really get to hurt anyone in a demonstrable way.

...and wearing a torn shirt...even though the Hulk was shirtless....

I would've capped that...sounded like they were trying to give Dark David a pseudonym, like the Demi-Hulk or the First.

Whose only purpose in the story, it seems, is to give Evil Midlife Crisis David some sporty wheels so he can do his embarrassingly awkward Rebel Without a Cause schtick in the climax....

-05:12.

With a note like "I can name that generic LM in one frame," I can only assume at this point that it was the peacoat.

Another hugely wasted opportunity. Imagine the possibilities if he'd had to deal with Evil John Doe / Hulk, without knowing the context...how that could have wrongfully informed him going forward...and how Evil Banner might have attempted to deal with his pursuer....

Definitely.

Ah, there it is!

December's Mixer noticed the old makeup and was wondering about that.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, well, if nobody else is waiting, I guess I'll go ahead...

Hulk: “Dark Side”: Kenneth Johnson always saw this show as his take on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and now Nicholas Corea makes that more literal than ever, with David’s latest experiment bringing out an actual evil side and giving Bixby a chance to play a villain. It’s a pretty effective twist on the format, though budget limits and broadcast standards could only let it take the evil Hulk’s rampage so far. And I wasn’t crazy about the “caveman” cutaway shots, which were a pretty corny metaphor. Still, it’s the one time we ever see David overtly seek to trigger a metamorphosis, though he wasn’t in his right mind at the time.

An interesting casting note here: Laurie is played by Philece Sampler, who would later be the second actress (after Genie Francis) to play Dr. Banner’s love interest Betty Ross in the 1990s Incredible Hulk animated series (opposite Neal McDonough as Bruce Banner and Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk). So I guess she got her wish to be Banner’s girlfriend after all. Anyway, I don’t know if I ever realized before that the name he calls her, Laura, was the name of his deceased first wife. (Or rather, his first deceased wife.) Interesting that the episode leaves it implicit. Heck, given the general lack of continuity in ‘70s TV, maybe it was just a coincidence, though it’d be a big one.

This is the first cure-related episode we’ve had in quite a while. Aside from glimpses of David reading up on genetics in “Deathmask” and “Equinox,” and his abortive attempt to buy equipment with his expected winnings in “The Lottery,” we haven’t seen him actively experimenting with a cure since “My Favorite Magician” almost a season earlier.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

No argument about that. I'm just prejudiced in favor of anything that mentions Boston. :rommie:

Really? No love for the Speedwagon? :( But they're so unabashedly melodramatic. Crawl across the floor! Come crashing through the door! :D

I didn't realize they were still showing Lost In Space. But I'm sure they'll put BSG in prime time, so it will be either Star Trek or Wonder Woman.

I appreciate that. :rommie:

Interesting question. That never occurred to me.

15. David Bixby

David Bixby Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

He mentions 'suppressing' activity.
    Willfully supporting the aggressive side would be catastrophic!

16. David Bixby

David Bixby Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If only the series had maintained the higher levels of aggression seen here and in the very early episodes, the hulk's actions would have been in greater accord to the level of violence in the beatings and reasons which brought him into action each time. Certainly better than a quick hurl.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they're smart it'll be Star Trek. It's been a part of the Saturday night schedule for quite a while now, and pulling Wonder Woman just a couple months before the movie comes out would be a mistake. I'm really hoping I'm not going to start getting a lot of late Saturdays at work, I really want to be able to check it the original BSG. I missed my chance to see it on Netflix before they pulled it, so I hope I don't miss it here.
    I wonder if they'll include BSG1980 as part of the run? I'm tempted to check it out, just to see if it's really as bad as everyone says.

18. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

The best episodes of BSG1980 are the first episode "Galactica Discovers Earth"[two parter] and the last one "Return Of Starbuck".

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point! Why pull the series when WW is getting more hype and publicity than she's had in years? And Lynda Carter is bound to be in the spotlight, too.

20. The Old Mixer

As someone who was young and easily frightened when the show began, I can appreciate the show trying to make the Hulk seem like more of a hero and less of a horror...but it would have been nice if they'd splurged on more impressive feats of strength than just having him toss thugs around harmlessly.