Mental Wellness Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Twilight Phoenix, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Malicia

Malicia Fleet Captain Premium Member

After another bout of uncontrollable weeping I called my GP who has prescribed Prozac. I’ve never taken anti depressants before but these phases of suicidal thoughts and crying for no reason is something I need to address. Crying is good and a way to release pressure but when I don’t know why I’m crying it’s a problem.

2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

DM me.

3. Commander Troi

*Hugs* Meds can definitely help. Look into therapy options too.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sometimes that's all it is-a release. The why becomes less important and the release more important.

For me, crying is something I do often, either from a song, or watching a show. My wife used to have to be careful with certain shows because of my line of work. Now, after doing some mindfulness exercises and a lot of practice (it sure as shit isn't easy) I just let myself cry. It doesn't always make sense and I have to tell myself that it's OK for it not to make sense.

But, I also do take an antidepressant and that helps me with the extremes of things. So, Prozac is a good baseline starter, helped me when I had some suicidal thinking. Praying for you.

5. think

think About it! Premium Member

the why can be answered in time.. I had horrible night terrors every time I went to sleep from about 19 years old till about 45 - 50 years old I'm 59 now - turned out there was childhood trauma and these night terrors were real memories I had or my body had pushed down into my subconscious seems the body does that for childhood trauma ,.. I just read how the mind will do that to protect itself ,.. reading the book "recovery of your inner child" by Lucia Capacchione the "inventor" of non-dominate or other hand writing ... that well it is a great book came out 1990 but now the adult children 12 step program is adding this technique to the recovery process for childhood trauma recovery. so yeah 19-45 years old I started wanting to die rather than sleep and just would not sleep for fear .. once I realized it was real trauma in me I could/can work on the problem I had no idea about my 3-4 nights a week of suicidal ideations going on ?? I am not suicidal anymore I was during that time actually from 5 years old till 2015 about so five was 1969 - 2015. the change to less then no suicidal thoughts was documented in therapy,.. I had come to the point of telling the dr's and psychiatrist exactly what I was feeling and they documented it they had stopped locking me up for suicide as it did not help at all- so many times that I could just walk thru a psych ward not even noticing I was there .

there is hope and it does get better and it can resolve itself just keep working at it .. I am still on the same anti-depressants I was on in 2015 and have tried to lessen the wellbutrin but started with suicidal thoughts again .. that I had to subdue with affirmations.

Commander Troi and Malicia like this.
  6. Bynar0110

Bynar0110 Captain Captain

I deal with Depression

Commander Troi, think and Malicia like this.
  7. Malicia

Collected my prescription today. I thought it was going to be Fluoexetine but it’s Sertraline. From what I’ve read it seems less potent and more agreeable with alcohol but a common side effect is insomnia. I barely get a few hours sleep a night as it is but will give it a shot.

Commander Troi and think like this.
  8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

SSRIs are very popular antidepressants. They're quite effective. I've been on Flouxetine for 16 years.

Malicia, Commander Troi and think like this.
  9. Malicia

I took the first 50mg tablet two hours ago and I can barely keep my eyes open now. It’s a similar sensation to diazepam. I’m not keen on the idea of regular medication when my alcohol intake is out of control but it might help me reign it in so in the long term could be beneficial.

What advice can you give about the daily routine of taking them? What can I expect over the next few weeks? I’m generally upbeat I just have phases of hopelessness and my day to day routine is non existent from the alcohol. I’ve not had a constant sleep-wake cycle for years.

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. think

think About it! Premium Member

"agreeable with alcohol" --- while taking antidepressants it is not good to take a depressant like alcohol. when I used to drink I did it anyway ,.. but back then on prozac drunk went from over a six pack to do that, to 1 or 2 beers to be drunk --- the prozac really extended the drunkenness of smaller amounts of alcohol --- I was ... still am an alcoholic among other drugs of addiction too --- Just saying. now I have 25 years since the last beer or joint,.. etc,

11. Gryffindorian

The only piece of advice I can offer is, be patient with your meds, especially when you're just starting a regimen or increasing your dosage. For me, it took at least a couple of weeks to notice some stability in my mood and thinking. After that, I wasn't as anxious or depressed, and the intrusive thoughts had become less severe. I drink very little alcohol, only on occasion, so my situation is a bit different from yours. Try not to combine prescription meds with alcohol, or wait a few hours in between.

12. Gryffindorian

Practicing mindfulness over the years has helped me better cope with intrusive thoughts and cognitive distortions. It's as if there's a wise inner voice telling me not to be reactive, jump to conclusions, or assume the worst.

I have an issue with my brother whom I live with. Late yesteday I had a missed call from him. So I texted him in a family group chat and asked what was up. He didn't respond, but he did to other family member's text. When he got home, he seemed pretty quiet and detached, but I shrugged it off.

So this morning while getting ready for work, I felt the whole "silent treatment" and avoidance continued. Maybe I'm just misreading things, but I his seemingly passive aggressive stance was getting under my skin. In the past when I've asked him if something was bothering him, he would get defensive and pretend everything was okay. So I left it at that.

Like I said, maybe I'm misinterpreting this whole situation, but then again I could be right, but I refuse to let such toxic behavior ruin my day or cause me to react in a negative way that could cause resentment between us.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths ...

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm on Sertraline (which tells you not to drink) and I've found it beneficial. Especially as my father died very recently and I dread to think what bereavement would have been like without it.

Can't speak to the effects on my sleep patterns though as one of the effects of my anxiety and depression was messing up my formerly trouble free sleep patterns. They're still messed up.

I've got a touch of restless leg syndrome too, but again that can be caused by both the illness AND/OR the medication.

And the earworms are a bit less intrusive. Damn you Christmas music !

14. Commander Troi

As @Krampusnacht said, be patient, both with the meds and yourself. I recommend journaling so you can see patterns as they emerge. Also, try to take the meds at roughly the same time each day. I take mine right after brushing my teeth.

I'm glad you're getting help. *love & hugs*

Malicia likes this.
  15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I realized why I’m having something of a panic today. This year falls the same way 2016 did (minus the leap day). When the calendar repeats, I’m aware of it. Wednesday, to the day, will be the sixth anniversary of my grandfather’s death. It was a little less than nine months after my mom passed. And I’m all too aware. It’s grief mixed with my 36-year-old self reliving the pain and panic that hit.

16. Commander Troi

**hugs**

Peach Wookiee likes this.
  17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I’m now having a full realization as I prepare to put in a new TV that my bedroom looks like something out of Hoarders. Nothing too gross, but cleaning at 3 AM puts things in perspective. I let things get out of control…

18. Birb-of-Prey

Birb-of-Prey Commander Red Shirt

Feeling unwanted and likely to die alone.

19. Malicia

I’m the same and can’t throw things away even if I don’t need or use it. Newspapers used to stack up but I stopped buying them a few years ago to save money. Sometimes I wouldn’t even read them so couldn’t throw them away until I had read them but but due to indecision never would so the pile increased. I try to have a minimalist existence now and only have what I need and use.

20. Malicia

Hope you feel better soon. There are people who care about you. Being single has its perks.

Commander Troi and Birb-of-Prey like this.