Menagerie Cometh (part Drei)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Atolm, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

2. Lord Other

Lord Other Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Love what you did here, fleshing out an animal for another planet based in part on the physiology of natives from the shows. That being said.. I'll pass on any Yridian Yak milk for me. :hugegrin:

Atolm likes this.
  3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks awesome, I'd never go close to one of those though.. (claws!)

Atolm likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's terrifying. Nice work!

Atolm likes this.
  5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the hunched over look about it. It reminds me of the Yiridian who took Worf to the Romulan prison in “Birthright.”

A cross between him and something out of Dr. Seuss.

Atolm likes this.
  6. Atolm

7. Arpy

It's a cross between a peacock, a flying squirrel, and it kinda reminds me of that picture they showed us of what whales used to look like when they were transitioning from a land mammal to a sea one...this bird still has its vestigial hands and feet.

Professor Moriarty and Atolm like this.
  8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

It looks like it's more adapted to gliding, short-range flying (assuming the air isn't much thicker than Earth's atmosphere at sea level) and attaching to something. It doesn't look like it can climb or move on land very well.

I'm imaging them attaching themselves to larger flying animals, where they would swoop in and feed at times.

Romulus must have some serious huge flying creatures....

Atolm likes this.
  9. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice, love the textures on it, yeah that could inspire a warbird or two.. :biggrin:

Atolm likes this.
  10. Atolm

its a broad winged hunter of the forests, like a harpy eagle, and like that eagle, the broader wing does wonders while negotiating through the trees... Oh and those are not it's "feet" or "hands", they are spines more akin to teleost fish fin rays than "hands" proper :D But it does possess actual grasping talons they are just obstructed in this view by the body itself.

lol it may, but this is no freeloader, but a true hunter of the forests.

Arpy likes this.
  11. Finn

Long distance flyers tend to have a long wingspan compared to their body size. The creature you drew wouldn't able to cross oceans and continents like an Arctic Tern. It seemed more suited to live within an ecosystem. Honestly, my first impression was of a somewhat parasitic creature.

If this thing is a hunter of forests, there would have to have some kind of a huge creature like a sauropod or a Paraceratherium walking around. Those claws really suggest they tend to attach to something and the body plan don't support the idea they are able to climb on their own much. Also, the long beak suggest they aren't the primary predator of their ecosystem...herons aren't the ultimate predators....

I suspect you wanted it to resemble a Romulan warship as much as possible...the creature you drew is definitely not an apex creature.

I get that you may not be considering such variables, but the creature you drew definitely isn't the top predator like a wolf, lion or a shark.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Atolm likes this.
  12. Arpy

Romulus is littered with them. Ask Wayne Barlowe

13. Finn

No. You explain it...

14. Atolm

Good analysis, and I'd agree if that was what I intended, but if you reread my post the Creature is not a long-distance flyer in the open ocean, or the steppes, but rather a forest hunter, dealing with tight areas. and I never said that was a beak...another assumption with no founding evidence as it is one view...perhaps a rostrum. and long large beaks if indeed that is what it is, would serve it well look at storks and herons(as you suggested) ground hornbills, cranes, kingfishers...I can go on but it doesn't matter are tremendous hunters. BTW, as a general rule of our planet's history(which doesn't really apply to an alien world) flying creatures tend not to be the apex predators in any ecosystem. Some food for thought. Have a great Thanksgiving bro. :)

And to everyone as well...Happy Turkey's Day :) Qa'Pla!

fireproof78 likes this.
  15. Arpy

16. Finn

Wow. From the novels?

17. Arpy

No, I’m joking. The alien animals are from real world artist Wayne Barlowe. He created them for a his book Expedition, which was turned into the TV program Alien Planet, that explored the alien life on the fictional planet Darwin IV.

“The University of Alpha Centauri” is from the Trek novel The Buried Age, which I do recommend.

18. Finn

Oh, I see. Cool

It's been a while since I've been sketching. I've taken up painting though I hardly have done any lately thanks to my internship.

19. Arpy

Yeah? What are you interning for?

20. Finn

teacher