"McHale's Starfleet"

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Mysterion, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, not quite.

But, how 'bout a somewhat more comedic series set against the background of the dominion War?

The crew of a small patrol ship crewed by misfits (i.e. McHale's guys) who always try to get around their strict vulcan CO (i.e. Capt. Binghamton).

Make it somewhat less slapstick than McHale's was, and I think it could fly.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see a comedy Trek series working at all. A Galaxy Quest type of series would work though.

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Home Boys from Outer Space?

5. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I could see it. After all, there's plenty of parody out there. (in example: "Star Traks".)

A subspace relay assigned to a well-protected section of the Federation's border. Somewhere like Riisa or another area where trouble would be taken care of (long before it gets anywhere close to a station or planet,) by Akira-Class cruisers & other passing ships.

A somewhat uptight C.O. that desperately needs to get laid. A small handful of like-able ne'er-do-well's that aren't necessarily criminal or stupid but aggravatingly easygoing. Guys & girls of the S.C.E. that realize they've been hired & aren't required to win any medals to do their job (that's being largely taken-care-of by automation,) & therefore don't see the daily need to stick to (as-rigidly-as-tolerably-possible) "by-the-book" procedures when no-one but their C.O. cares that much.

Think of a parody/satire plot that mixes up the kind of life you'd expect going-on around Captain Gold & the Sabre-Class U.S.S. Da Vinci with Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, The Cat of "Red Dwarf".

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Scotty on that? Or did Doohan just play a similiar character?

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The latter.

8. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

How 'bout something serious: "Star Trek: Runabout". Maybe the series or novels could be about the crew (or crews) of one (or more) runabouts, exploring deep space. The runabout(s) could be part of a nomadic unit that could operate from either starships or outposts on an uncharted fringe of Federation space.

It could be set after the Dominion War, when starships and crews would be harder to come by. Perhaps improvements in runabout tech make higher warp speeds possible so these newer runabouts can do more exploring. Think of it: instead of a big starship going out to explore the frontier, maybe smaller ships and outposts would deploy these runabouts to establish a presence and service new colonies.

9. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Star Trek: SUPPLY SHIP"

It follows the adventures of a Miranda class cargo vessel travelling back and forth between Starbase 803 and Starbase 804 carrying a hold full of spare parts and equipment.

10. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Wingsley & HRHTheKing:

Why not compose the first few paragraphs / chapters of your ideas ("Star Trek: Runabout" & "Star Trek: Supply Ship",) & submit them to my anthology? I'd love to see what you've got in mind. Though I'd name the series after the ship, runabout, or the mission's noteworthy C.O.