Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't the new Quantum Slipstream drive rendering DS9 and the wormhole moot anyway? The next generation of starships will be able to make the wormhole journey in weeks or months and within a decade or two all the main powers, and eventually all their freighters, will be using the drive.

2. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

I see from trekmovie that "In Shariel's Jaw's" is noted as a Trade Paperback.

I take it from other threads that these take longer to write, do they not?

3. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

What other threads are you talking about? More on point, who in these other threads is saying silly shit like this?

No, the format the manuscript is ultimately printed in has no bearing in and of itself on how long it takes to write the manuscript.

4. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

I too am hoping that a DS9 title is eventually announced for 2011. Didn't the relaunch start in 2001? The 10 year mark seems like it's worth a book. But I suppose with so much Trek out there, every year is the anniversary of something. lol

I think I might reread the relaunch soon. I've not reread anything except a few of the Worlds of DS9 entries.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why everyone is being so negative about the DS9 Relaunch, we had two books last year and one coming up this year. If you ask me that is pretty good, because with some many series going and all of the new standalone books we're getting not every series is going to get a book every year.

6. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think some people were expecting that after the delays the line took, there would be some kind of effort to tilt the scales towards giving more DS9 stories, to sort of lessen the image of the line being 'shafted.' And with the DS9 novels taking place behind the rest of the lines, there's probably more than a few who wanted the novel line to rejoin modern continuity the old fashioned way, by having more stories take place there, rather than just a time jump.

This is just my guess, though.

7. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i would like a non typhon pact titan book/
    i will probably get the typhon pact one but i dont know how many of the current story lines will show up in it.

8. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

U was really enjoying the stories Titan was telling before Destiny, a starship exploring far beyond where anyone had gone before. I'm not sure I'l be picking it up with Titan so close to home. It feels like they want it close for doing crossovers.

9. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think there's any big mystery. The DS9 relaunch up through Worlds and Warpath was a great series with a lot of momentum that a lot of people really enjoyed following.

To say it has "lost momentum" at this point is a nice way of putting it. Whatever, these things happen. Now it looks like the series is going to jump forward, meaning it's possible that a lot of the storylines won't be completed, something that is understandably disappointing to some.

Of course it is possible that the DS9-R can get a second wind once it is brought up to date with everything else, which is what I personally am hoping for. However, that's going to take some doing. It would need to be something along the lines of the excellent work that Kirsten Beyer has done with Voyager, except more difficult because you don't really have the option of just sending the DS9 crew off on a mission somewhere. Traditionally DS9 stories involve a variety of worlds in the alpha quadrant, most of which are implicated in other events for the time being.

It's tricky, and I certainly don't envy the writer/editor who has to plan this out, but I hope somebody thinks of something :cardie:

I think the way to go would be a heavily gamma quadrant-oriented story, since that material is less tied up elsewhere and remains to be fleshed out. What we need is a Deep Space Nine: Fall of the Dominion title added to that list :lol:

(That was said in jest, but if that feels too much like a story idea, let me know, and I will delete it ;))

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TBH,I'm not sure there is any point to 'jumping' DS9 forward anyway.If the series is to be as badly serviced as it is now,then what exactly is the point?
    The cynic in me thinks that a DS9 that runs concurrent with TNG etc. is ripe only for the occasional crossover.That may sound unduly cynical but nobody can argue that DS9 has gotten a fair shake recently.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to deny that DS9 has had some bad luck as a series with changing authors then Destiny and then the change in editors, but I really think that the last couple years are plenty give us plenty of proof that the series is back on it's way to where it used to be (at least numbers wise) and just because one early schedule doesn't include it doesn't mean that the series will disapear again.

12. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I have to agree. Very little of the stuff that has been mentioned interests me. Ah well, what can you do. Just have to wait and see if the Ascendant stuff actually ever sees the light of day in the DS9 books, and hope for more Aventine and maybe a decent sounding post-Destiny TNG book.

13. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think people were hoping that the series would get back on track following Typhon Pact (certainly that was my hope), so seeing nothing on the schedule for the coming year is disappointing. Hence the expression of... disappointment ;)

Obviously, if something is added or if there is a DS9-R book in January 2012 or whatever, that will soothe some apprehension and make people happy. Then there will be expressions of... happiness :cool:

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

is that right, a MMPB version of Blind Man's Buff in August after the HC debuts in January?

15. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

Soooo, does anyone know if there's any chance of "Distant Early Warning" getting reprinted in the VGD novella collection? :)

16. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ It's going to be included in What's Past, the Star Trek: Corps of Engineers omnibus due out in August. :)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The issue of the magazine the information in this thread came from even has a excerpt from it as part of What's Past.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Pretty excited about the announcement of a few of those books (especially the wrap-up of the Mirror Universe saga), but pretty disappointed that 1/6th of the schedule is already planned to be filled with reprints instead of new material. The cutdown to one book a month was hard to take, but cutting that back to one book MOST months sucks a little more...

19. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

Oh, good! I'd given up ever seeing that reprinted in dead tree format so I'm glad it's finally on the schedule!

20. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kind of interesting that Enterprise only gets one new book release (not counting the reprint) for its 10th anniversary next year. Oh well.

Also, the DS9 Relaunch only had one book to actually continue the main story. 'The Never Ending Sacrifice' was from the POV of one character and took place over the entire run of the DS9 TV series, so I don't really count that. At least 'The Soul Key' wrapped up that arc somewhat, although it teased a continuation that we may or may not actually ever see. And of course we're all still waiting to find out the fate of the Dominion.