Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Heck, I'm still just exploring the Normandy. :lol:

ETA: Wow, scanning planets for resources is tedious as hell. I hope there aren't as many planets that can be surveyed as there were in ME1.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

There seems to be 2-4 scannable planets per system and maybe 2-5 systems per galaxy, and about 15 galaxies. It still beats the hell out of having to roam around in your Mako and losing all your progress because a sand worm happened to spawn under your car. So far as I can tell there aren't set locations for the ore deposits, just an amount you can mine. So if you just look for the big ones you can save on probes or trips back to the fuel depot.

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two things: A, the finale is really idiotic and I can see why John Davison knocked the game for it in his GamePro review.

B, Insanity is a pain in the ass. I feel bad for the people who had to test this game on that difficulty, because I would have broke a lot of things if I had to do certain levels over and over again trying to test out the balance (let alone playing Insanity with anything but Sentinel).

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Jusr got Jack and been upgrading everything left and right :). I soooo love the banter between Joker and the AI of Normandy :lol:

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't this a problem in all of Bioware's games though?

That said, I fucking hate the fuel system. It makes no sense in terms of the codex stuff and forces me to waste money to get places. Plus, if there is a fuel efficiency upgrade, I haven't seen it, and I've gotten every ship upgrade you can get before picking up Jack.

6. firehawk12

Well, most BioWare games just have a lack of a denoument because it's too expensive to animate them or whatever - the text endings in JE and DA for example. Surprisingly, this is less of a problem in this game mostly because it's the "middle chapter" and because they intend to release DLC (which I hope is geared toward people who have completed the game and not just random sidequests).

But I'm talking about the boss fight that happens at the end. When you see it, you'll think it's the most silly thing you've ever seen.

Also, there is a fuel upgrade, but you only get 500 more fuel. Kind of pointless. I kind of wish that when you started a new game after you beat the game, they just gave you infinite resources. They give you a slight bump - 50k of each type - but that's definitely not enough to upgrade everything.
    It just adds an unnecessary couple of hours to the game.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

WOO! I got mine in the mail today! I can begin tonight!!!

8. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

They're actually star clusters. You're only ever in one galaxy.

/pedantic

9. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

You know, ME2 is sorely lacking a smack-the-shit-out-of-Joker option.

He not only gets the Normandy blown up (he dodges the Collector beam then, for some reason, flies right back into it; great piloting there Joker! :lol:) but also neglects to thank Shepard for saving his life and kinda dying in the process. Come on Joker, that's at least worth a card.

It's also interesting being dead for two years doesn't slow Shepard down one bit. That would be an existential crisis for most people right there. Even the ship counselor didn't think it worth bringing up. Maybe religious belief among humans is even more "out there" than ME1 hinted at (Ash suggested her belief in god was atypical in the first game).

The Reapers definitely don't seem as cool afterward.

They go from an ancient and mysterious race of sentient alien warships to a two-bit copy that gets burped out by eating humans (and other alien races).

Sovereign loses something when he's just an immitation of some weird, extinct squid people rather than a distinct life form in his own right. And I can't see a single advantage to having a spaceship that looks like a human.

10. Skywalker

Whew, almost read Ryan's spoiler about the Reapers. That was close. :lol:

I have to agree about the exploration segment of the game. Even without the Mako missions, it feels like a downgrade. Scanning whole planets for resources is dull as dishwater. Literally flying a mini-Normandy around from place to place kind of takes me out of the experience. Actually having to buy fuel and probes is just annoying after not needing to worry about fuel in the first game. I hope in ME3 BioWare places less emphasis on that sort of stuff.

Everything else is golden so far. The Archangel mission was fantastic.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished all of the Loyalty Missions; Tali's was my favorite, but they were all pretty awesome except for Zaeed, who I think was not really worth picking up.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OK I've started the game! I finished the Omega station mission where you recruit the funny evil doctor guy. My number one thought; I really, really need an HD-TV. I can't read this goddamn text. The text that's telling me which buttons you need to play the game. And the manual doesn't tell you what the buttons do either. Is there a melee button? Also, I'm playing on the easiest difficult setting and I'm still almost dying whenever there's a group of baddies. You really do need to stick to cover. Maybe I shouldn't have picked soldier class, but the biotics powers sounded too confusing to use in combat.

13. firehawk12

You really need the Biotics to get you through the game. Even the tech powers are useful this time around because they give you the extra weapon damage.

14. firehawk12

Yeah, pretty much. Although, I was almost okay with them saying that there's a giant human being built using human goo. I just thought it was silly to have to fight a giant Terminator at the end - especially since it amounted to the lame video game convention of "SHOOT IT IN THE EYES". Come on, who thought this was a good idea? If I was playing No More Heroes or Bayonetta, fine... but yeesh.

I find that Thane's and Samara's quests are the most interesting because they are different. Zaeed's is interesting in so much as choosing one choice can potentially screw you for the rest of the game (if you care about how the end game plays out).

15. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whew, finally finished the game myself. In a nutshell, the first game had a better story, but this game was better in every other respect. 75% of the story basically consisted of running around the galaxy recruiting people. this And the ending was nowhere near as cool as the big Babylon 5-esque battle at the Citadel in the first one. But the fact that you can keep playing after you finish the main storyline is awesome. A first for a Bioware game! Too bad I don't really have anything left to do. :lol:

16. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I picked the "paragon" option, so I'll find out I guess.

Also, Morbin singing had me rolling on the floor.

17. firehawk12

Hah, I'd like to believe that was a reference to ST: Insurrection. :p

18. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there seems to be enough ore that you can just pick up the huge spikes and leave the planet as soon as it gets to moderate or poor. Also running out of fuel only costs you like +1500 in one of the four resources, which you can get from a couple of good ore location on a planet. So between only picking up huge deposits and not worrying about fuel I've been going through the mining pretty quickly and have six digits in everything but element zero.

19. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've barely started and I'm hooked.

Having read some of the comments though, I suspect the fuel thing might annoy me a little. My character is supposed to be in command, a special ops Soldier etc. Can't I delegate some of the day to day stuff while I'm thinking of how to save tha galaxy (yet again):lol:

20. Skywalker

Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space! :guffaw:

I hope whoever wrote that speech got a raise. That was epically hilarious.