Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.2%
  2. A

27.1%
  3. A-

14.7%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

13.5%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldn't be difficult to seed background news reports and things into the current movies and TV shows with a Trump or Farage type **** lambasting the increasing previously niche but growing 'Mutant Menace' problem and screeching "Why do the Sokovia Accords not protect us from these monsters?" etc.

In that way, we can all go "oooooh" when they pop up and by the time the X-Men pop up, they've been there simmering a while and can just be.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like this idea, although I really hope we don't get "students", I'm tired of teen heroes in the MCU. Honestly, I'd kind of like them to start off with the equivalent of Giant Size X-Men, where Xavier/Magneto and the original X-Men were all around pre-snap but secretly, and now Xavier needs a new team to deal with current events. This would allow us to get away from the original X-Men, while establishing they exist, while also getting a more diverse (and frankly more interesting) team. Drop Wolverine from the first line up obviously (I like the idea of keeping him separate, I like the character but basically all the FOX X-Men movies until First Class were focused on him), but a Storm/Colossus/Nightcrawler/Sunfire/Banshee/Thunderbird core team would be interesting, especially if they got actual character development.

Now, some people would argue that Storm got more then enough screentime so they'd want to swap her out, but I think she's the one iconic X-Person you100% want/need on the MCU X-Men team, with a good actress and writing combination Storm can be great and even give the X-men ties to things like Wakanda if needed. I'd probably put Jubilee on the team to give the team a younger member, and Sunfire or Banshee could probably be swapped out for a fan favorite like Rogue, but make Rogue more like the comics to separate her from the FOX version. I'd leave Colossus on the team because I think Colossus gives you an easy excuse to tie Deadpool into the MCU X-Men if nothing else, even if you'd want to cast an actual physical actor for Colossus. Nightcrawler is great as the heart of the team, although they'd probably need to figure out how to make his makeup work better then the FOX versions.

Or they could go full Jim Lee 90s X-Men (minus Wolverine) with the roster, complete with MCU versions of classic looks to help separate the returning characters from their FOX versions. They'd probably have to either swap out or change Psylocke if they did this, but I think the 90s comic team specifically is a bit better then just going live action X-Men TAS with the roster, although I would probably stick Jubilee on the team regardless for the newbie perspective (and I say Jubilee instead of other young X-Men characters because we've already seen Shadowcat and I think Jubilee would be cool to see in a significant live action role, but you could swap her with characters like Pixie, Armor, Surge, etc and get a similar perspective).

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

These are some pretty good ideas. Even if the recent events haven't activated latent X-genes, it could just be that it's all built up to the point that the mutants decide that enough crazy stuff has happened since The Battle of New York, that they decide they don't need to hide any more. Only for them to be disappointed when they still end up running into constant prejudice from non-mutants.
    I didn't realize all of those characters appeared in the animated series.

Moon Knight's producers have now moved on to the Fantastic Four movie. They did a good job putting that, so Fantastic Four should be in good hands.

4. kirk55555

I just hope FF's villain(s), which hopefully don't include Doctor Doom in the first movie, are better then Ethan Hawke in Moon Knight, who might be my second least favorite MCU villain (after that random woman from Falcon & WS). It wasn't the actor's fault, but the character (whose name I can't remember) just sucked, his motivation was crap and it just brought everything down. I really liked Moon Knight and Marlene, but actually watching the show after the first few episodes was a struggle. It was similar to Falcon & WS actually, a great main character and supporting cast, struggling to get out from under a kind of terrible plot and a worthless main villain.

5. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

You don't need a catalyst for why there are now more mutants than there used to be. That there will be more mutants over time is built into the premise. Next stage of evolution, yadda yadda. Their population is supposed to be increasing anyway. No need to complicate things with the Snap or activating latent mutants or whatever. Just say the natural gradual increase in the mutant population has finally gotten to the point where it's now a Thing.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I think there have been Mutants in the MCU all along, but we know them as Inhumans. Professor X and everyone else might have been there and they probably even called themselves Mutants, but it all happened off screen. Mutants/Inhumans ... potato/tomato. That's all the explanation I need.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Except there hasn't been any evidence of Inhumans in the MCU aside from Agents of SHIELD (which the MCU has completely ignored, unfortunately) and Inhumans (which no one wants to remember).

8. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Exactly. The Inhumans have been ignored by the MCU so far, but we know they exist in the MCU. So why couldn't Mutants exist as well? As I said above, I think that Inhumans and Mutants are one and the same anyway, just different words for the ssame thing.

And for those who insist that Agents of SHIELD is not canon ... that series was heavily tied into the movies on several occasions in the beginning and only started to go seperate ways when that whole time travel nonsense began. Up until then, there was nothing that indicated a seperate timeline/universe or whatever.

dupersuper and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As I mentioned above, Mutants and Inhumans may be related, but they are distinct. By and large Mutants manifest around puberty (or in a moment of extreme stress), Inhumans ALL need to be exposed to terrigen to catalyse the metamorphosis.

One could easily write it so that the ancient Kree identified to nascent x-gene and tied it to terrigen in it's experimental subjects as a means of control, to keep the powers locked until they're ready to make use of them, not manifesting wild in the larger population. That makes Inhumans a unique strain of ancient Mutants.

Either way I hope the x-gene is the result in some tampering because "randomly able to defy the laws of physics" is not how evolution works. I mean come on, "can spontaneously emit infinite energy from the eyeballs" or "can summon lighting and tornadoes" are neither positive survival traits, nor anything that's even remotely possible to adapt from the baseline primate. Even less so for a technological species since if anything technology slows environmental adaptation pressure.
    Between Quill and The Eternals, I think the Celestials are the most likely culprits for at least laying the foundation for super-powered humans, especially when you get into literal demigods like Storm, Hulk, Wanda.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I saw a spoiler about the Doctor Strange movie, though:

Apparently the Illuminati include Anson Mount as Black Bolt. So the Inhumans exist somewhere in the Multiverse. (Also, Patrick Stewart plays Professor X, so two of the Illuminati are Enterprise captains.)

dupersuper likes this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

Well, sure that happened but wasn't referred to as such. The viewers who are only familiar with the MCU films would have no context.

12. Christopher

Very little in the MCU is standalone, though.
    Including Mount's Black Bolt implies that the Inhumans series is considered at least broadly canonical, and hints at the possibility that the Inhumans might be referenced again in some way in the future.

13. The Nth Doctor

You're missing my point.

You'd be hard pressed to find a viewer who only watches the MCU films (and maybe also the recent Disney+ shows) who is familiar with even the existence of Inhumans, let alone having actually watched it. They might know that it was a one-off show that bombed on every metric but that's it.

Hell, I haven't bothered watching it and I've seen almost all of the Netflix, Disney+, and ABC shows multiple times.

So, yes, intellectually, the film acknowledges its existence tangentially through the multiverse but the name Inhumans means nothing to those viewers.

Which means there's no good reason for Kamala to be established as an Inhuman now when no one knows or cares about them now.

Now if Agents of SHIELD had been integrated with the MCU like the Disney+ shows are now, then there would be a strong argument for it. But not now as things stand.

14. Christopher

Who was talking about Kamala? I was responding to your statement that the cinematic MCU has "completely ignored" the Inhumans. That is no longer the case, and the fact that they made one reference opens the door for others. Limiting it to "as things stand" seems ill-considered in this context, given that they have the MCU plotted out as much as a decade in advance (or so I think I read not long ago), so what we're seeing now is likely to contain seeds for what lies ahead.

dupersuper likes this.
  15. The Nth Doctor

The whole reason Inhumans were brought up in this thread at this juncture is because of Kamala.

Booji likes this.
  16. Christopher

Conversations broaden. The specific comment you were responding to when you said the Inhumans had been "completely ignored" was not about Kamala; it was a suggestion by Oso Blanco that it would be simpler for the MCU to substitute Inhumans for mutants. Since Kamala was never defined as a mutant, OB's comment which you quoted and responded to was not about her.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It looks like they're not going to go with either mutant or inhuman on the show anyway. It would seem as if they are going with her powers coming from the MCU equivalent of the nega-bands that Mar-Vell once wore in the comics.

That will connect Kamala to the bigger story being told in the MCU in the same way that making Kamala an Inhuman in the comics connected to the bigger story being told there.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  18. Christopher

Yeah, and I suspect they'll have some connection to Shang-Chi's Ten Rings too, coming from a similar alien source. It would make sense for them both to tie into the same overall Phase Four arc.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. kirk55555

I didn't even think about the Nega Bands, but thats an interesting way to go, and would give Kamala a solid connection to the Captain Marvel stuff. I am curious if the Kree in general will be involved with MCU Kamala's stuff, although they don't have to directly be involved for an artifact of theirs to be found on Earth.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't feel like trying to find it again, but there was an interview with, I think, Kevin Feige that I linked to in the Ms. Marvel thread, where he said something very similar. That they changed her powers so that they better fit in with stuff that is going on in the MCU now, the same way the comics version's origin fit in with what was going on in the comics at the time.

Last edited: May 14, 2022