Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

20.0%
  2. A

34.6%
  3. A-

12.3%
  4. B+

6.9%
  5. B

14.6%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C+

2.3%
  8. C

3.8%
  9. C-

1.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Evil Headhunter

Evil Headhunter Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

Yeah, that would make sense. Plus, it would mean that fans weren't that far off when they theorized mutants would arrive because of the Snap.

2. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

Hate them all you want, they have broad enough appeal to still be a thing after damn near a century now.

3. William Skywalker

William Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ooo, maybe that's what the Emergence actually is. The Eternals are convinced it has something to do with the Deviants and the end of the world but instead it's actually the mass activation of the X gene in people around the world, triggered by the cosmic energies of the Infinity Gauntlet.

Now I'm going to be disappointed if it's not that. :lol:

4. YLu

YLu Commander Red Shirt

I still maintain that any explanation beyond "They were born that way" ruins the wonderful simplicity of Marvel's mutant concept.

dupersuper likes this.
  5. Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams Princess of the Dark Arts Premium Member

I watched the first episode of The Walking Dead under protest because I've never like zombie stuff, but it was so good I kept watching until Rick left. I came into ZNation in like 3rd season and loved it's wonderful goofiness. But those are exceptions. I saw a commercial tonight for Day of the Dead, the TV series. Oy! Obviously, still popular. :wtf:

Well... in the original comics, they were called "children of the atom" with the implication that the nuclear age had given rise to them or that it had accelerated natural human evolution.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I kept tossing the idea around that the x-men have been around but Xavier just mind wipes the public every time.

I could see the mcu X-men differing from fox’s by having Xavier already dead

The new purpose of the mcu x-men is to reunite after a long time separated

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, only half a century, really, since Night of the Living Dead in 1968. Before then, screen zombies were more victims than predators, mind-controlled servants obeying the will of "voodoo" priests, mad scientists, or aliens rather than being driven by their own hunger.

And even if you include pre-Romero zombies, it only goes back about 90 years, since 1932's White Zombie is generally considered the first zombie film.

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sounds absolutely perfect!!

If we had seen mutants from the get-go of the MCU, yes. But if they're suddenly appearing and we're to believe that with the HUUUUUGE attention SHIELD had on people with abilities for such a long time but kinda forgot to mention to the Avengers 'Oh btw, there's people with feathered wings out there and some dude can whatever the hell he wants with metal but we kinda didn't bother to tell you about the superhealer with a metal skeleton', well no. That kinda writing would be lazy and weird. To just say, accept it was always thus.
    In the comics they were always there. In the MCU, not. They'll need something to explain WHY there suddenly are mutants everywhere. Skywalker's post actually makes a lot of sense.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely.

They're either new, in which case Infinity Gauntlet activated X Genes is a good explanation, or they've been around forever, in which case we're probably looking at a branched mutanty reality collapsing together with ours. Or something.

10. Christopher

I would've been fine with them just taking the Inhumans backstory from Agents of SHIELD -- which was basically how they told mutant stories without the rights to the mutants -- and merged it with the X-Men stuff, so that the X-Men are just Inhumans instead of mutants. They serve the same narrative function anyway, and they're both human subspecies with alien-altered genes, so it doesn't really make much difference what label you put on them. Of course that would freak out the comics purists, but it's no worse than, say, Ultron being Tony Stark's creation instead of Hank Pym's, or the Howling Commandos being Cap's team in WWII instead of Fury's.

But since the movie division seems to be content to ignore the Marvel Television shows, I guess instead we'll just get mutant stories going forward and the AoS Inhuman saga will never be mentioned.

11. wayoung

wayoung Commodore Commodore

I'm still betting towards the multiverse merging mutants into the MCU. That way you can have long lived mutants like apocalypse and Wolverine, and and old X & Magneto, without going "Where have they been?!".

Wednesday Addams and Relayer1 like this.
  12. Christopher

I don't know if that's necessary. I mean, there are already a number of MCU characters and entities that have been retconned in as secretly around the whole time -- Hank Pym, Wakanda, the magic-users of Doctor Strange and WandaVision, SWORD (apparently), the Time Variance Authority, now the Eternals. So it'd be easy enough to say the same was true of mutants, that people like Xavier and Magneto and Wolverine have been around for decades without the world knowing about them.

dupersuper and Wednesday Addams like this.
  13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apocalypse and Wolverine aren't a problem no matter what. Apocalypse was always an unknown piece of history because he only shows up once every few centuries. Wolverine could easily have pretended to be different people over the years, and even if you want him to have a history with shield, you could say Weapon X broke off from shield and wiped out all his records when they did.

Magneto's age is also still a problem no matter what, unless your alternate universe is pulling mutants from the 1970s/80s/90s, because of his Holocaust background.

I don't think it's at all satisfying or particularly believable to imagine that there were always lots of mutants that we never heard of, but a small number of them isn't an issue (though Magneto laying low for decades before attacking humans doesn't work so well for me, either).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  14. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

<inserts Simpsons McBain "that's the joke" meme here>

15. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

Originally, the comics said it was potentially due to more Nuclear Radiation in the atmosphere that caused a surge in Mutant Births.

Later, they stated it's due to the Celestials.

So no, it was never "They were born that way".

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they don't go with the stupid mutant origin from the Ultimate comics universe, I'll probably be fine with however they explain mutants.

That said, Xavier and magneto need to have a long history, so mutants, to me, have to have been around for decades at the minimum (although maybe not as far back as in the mainstream comics, aka Magneto doesn't need to have been alive in WW2 anymore).

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The theory I'm holding in my head until the movies contradict it is that there has been mutants throughout history, but their numbers were so miniscule that no one really took notice.

Then came the snap, which Rocket told us created an energy wave unlike anything anybody had ever seen.

We know that energies from the stones have a given people powers in the past. Wanda, Pietro, Carol and by extension Monica.

So my theory is that the Infinity Gauntlet snaps that occurred on Earth swept the globe with this energy wave and activated many more X genes that would have activated naturally if not for the stones energies.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  18. Evil Headhunter

I'm afraid to ask: What godawful shit did the Ultimate comics do with the mutant origin? I may have already read about it and burned it from my memory. :lol:

All of that sounds good...except if that happened after Thanos' Snap, why didn't anyone notice any mutants for five years? However, if it's connected with the energy burst that the Emergence appears to have happened after Bruce's Snap, then I think that works out pretty well.

19. Christopher

Because they operated in secret, presumably, like they did in X-Men Evolution prior to their public exposure in the season 2 finale.

Or maybe people did notice various new superbeings emerging, but they wouldn't have instantly understood that the incidents shared a single underlying cause, since the MCU has a variety of superpowered individuals from various origins already. (And if the TV branch of the continuity still counts, they were probably mistaken for Inhumans.)

20. Evil Headhunter

Sure, for a year. But in five years? When there's half the population? I dunno...