Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Thank you. I honestly had no idea. :lol:

Okay, so there might be a kernel of truth behind this rumor.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. It seems like the sort of thing Mark Millar would do.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I’ve watched and enjoyed enough zombie fare in my time but I don't think I'd want a movie devoted to Marvel Zombies. Numerous as the movies have been they seem too precious for that at least if it would be a full blown MCU Phase X movie slot. An episode of What If? is good or maybe an animated feature . Though maybe as a segment or window of a "mutliverse of madness" movie like where there's a lot of portals to different realities, I could see that working.

4. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rewatched Memento and I really wish Guy Pearce had played Daredevil in the 2003 film.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel zombies just doesn't work for me. It didn't really work when they did Zombies in 'What If...?'. It's something out of place in the MCU. They have so many other things they could do already why go the zombie route?

6. The Nth Doctor

Chloé Zhao talked to Total Film a few days ago about the level of impact Eternals will have on the MCU:

"I think we stand alone as a film for sure," director Chloé Zhao tells Total Film in the upcoming issue of the magazine, featuring Eternals on the cover. "But I do think we will have a very big effect on the future of the MCU with what happens in this film. Which, you know, as a fan, is really satisfying for me! I geek out."​

7. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can’t see a MU zombie movie appealing to the broad audience.

I personally hate zombie movies.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Let the mutant theories begin! ;)

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

IIRC in the MU (comics) the Celestials implanted the "X gene" in humans that gave rise to mutants.

10. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a good way to add in the mutants.

11. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, that would make sense. Plus, it would mean that fans weren't that far off when they theorized mutants would arrive because of the Snap.

12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hate them all you want, they have broad enough appeal to still be a thing after damn near a century now.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ooo, maybe that's what the Emergence actually is. The Eternals are convinced it has something to do with the Deviants and the end of the world but instead it's actually the mass activation of the X gene in people around the world, triggered by the cosmic energies of the Infinity Gauntlet.

Now I'm going to be disappointed if it's not that. :lol:

14. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

I still maintain that any explanation beyond "They were born that way" ruins the wonderful simplicity of Marvel's mutant concept.

dupersuper likes this.
  15. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I watched the first episode of The Walking Dead under protest because I've never like zombie stuff, but it was so good I kept watching until Rick left. I came into ZNation in like 3rd season and loved it's wonderful goofiness. But those are exceptions. I saw a commercial tonight for Day of the Dead, the TV series. Oy! Obviously, still popular. :wtf:

Well... in the original comics, they were called "children of the atom" with the implication that the nuclear age had given rise to them or that it had accelerated natural human evolution.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I kept tossing the idea around that the x-men have been around but Xavier just mind wipes the public every time.

I could see the mcu X-men differing from fox’s by having Xavier already dead

The new purpose of the mcu x-men is to reunite after a long time separated

17. Christopher

Well, only half a century, really, since Night of the Living Dead in 1968. Before then, screen zombies were more victims than predators, mind-controlled servants obeying the will of "voodoo" priests, mad scientists, or aliens rather than being driven by their own hunger.

And even if you include pre-Romero zombies, it only goes back about 90 years, since 1932's White Zombie is generally considered the first zombie film.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sounds absolutely perfect!!

If we had seen mutants from the get-go of the MCU, yes. But if they're suddenly appearing and we're to believe that with the HUUUUUGE attention SHIELD had on people with abilities for such a long time but kinda forgot to mention to the Avengers 'Oh btw, there's people with feathered wings out there and some dude can whatever the hell he wants with metal but we kinda didn't bother to tell you about the superhealer with a metal skeleton', well no. That kinda writing would be lazy and weird. To just say, accept it was always thus.
    In the comics they were always there. In the MCU, not. They'll need something to explain WHY there suddenly are mutants everywhere. Skywalker's post actually makes a lot of sense.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Absolutely.

They're either new, in which case Infinity Gauntlet activated X Genes is a good explanation, or they've been around forever, in which case we're probably looking at a branched mutanty reality collapsing together with ours. Or something.

20. Christopher

I would've been fine with them just taking the Inhumans backstory from Agents of SHIELD -- which was basically how they told mutant stories without the rights to the mutants -- and merged it with the X-Men stuff, so that the X-Men are just Inhumans instead of mutants. They serve the same narrative function anyway, and they're both human subspecies with alien-altered genes, so it doesn't really make much difference what label you put on them. Of course that would freak out the comics purists, but it's no worse than, say, Ultron being Tony Stark's creation instead of Hank Pym's, or the Howling Commandos being Cap's team in WWII instead of Fury's.

But since the movie division seems to be content to ignore the Marvel Television shows, I guess instead we'll just get mutant stories going forward and the AoS Inhuman saga will never be mentioned.