Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, for contractual reasons with Netflix, Marvel can revive the characters from those in another medium or format but can't simply do a continuation of the Netflix versions on a different provider. I'm subject to correction, though.

In general terms, the show doesn’t need rebooted, if that’s why you’re asking - I’d love to see the original cast and crew return for a revival.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

As far as I know, that's not the case. There was an embargo on when they could make new productions, but that's about it. The reasons for a reboot would be practical - they don't want to say "go to Netflix for Seasons One and Two." My guess is they'll either do a total reboot (with a re-cast) or, more likely, do a soft reboot where it could fit in continuity with what came before but nothing that came before would be required to understand the current situation. With the blip, there's a lot of flexibility there. As long as they make Luke Cage an established hero, everything necessary to get him from where he was at the end of the Netflix show to where they want him could have occurred in the five-year time gap.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So basically what the Arrowverse has done with John Constantine. There are enough subtle links to the NBC series to make it clearly the same continuity (e.g. Astra Logue is African-American rather than white and English, and the original actress made a voice cameo before the role was recast due to age differences), but there are no explicit mentions of anything from the show that wasn't originally from the comics.

Really, though, if there are no legal restrictions on using story elements, there's no reason not to. People often talk about what previous viewing is "required" to understand a new installment in a series, but ideally, it should never be required. Anything you need to know to understand one installment in a series should be explained right there in the story itself. After all, every story depends on prior information, whether the audience saw it or not. The plot of the very first Star Trek pilot, "The Cage," was shaped by the aftermath of a prior, unseen battle on Rigel VII. Hamlet is entirely about the aftermath of a murder that happened before the play started. The parts we haven't seen are explained for us right then and there, and that's all that should ever be required. Actually seeing the prior events is a nice bonus, but it shouldn't be an absolute requirement. You're not telling a story right if you create hurdles in your audience's path rather than ramps to ease their entry.

So if you're reintroducing story elements from a prior season, then you should do it the exact same way you'd introduce backstory for the first time. You explain it in the current story. You have a character who knows about it explain it to a new character who wasn't there for it, or you have two or more returning characters talk/argue about it in retrospect. Of course, it's best to do that in a way that isn't clumsily expository, that feels like organic dialogue rather than an infodump, but that's true for any backstory exposition.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm rooting for a 'Daughters of the Dragon' show over a Luke Cage reboot, but I wouldn't object to a 'Heroes for Hire'. Indeed I think a lot of the flaws of Luke Cage and Iron Fist could be fixed simply by having those two partner up.
    While I'd like to see 'Jessica Jones' and 'Daredevil' just straight up get new shows, I think a similar hybrid show could work well. I mean their interactions was one for the few highlights of 'The Defenders'. That or make Jessica the third "Daughter of the Dragon" and promote Daredevil to movie status.

theenglish, The Nth Doctor and Booji like this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I've been wanting Daughters of the Dragon for a long time now, but I'll take whatever we can get with those characters.

dupersuper likes this.
  6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they completely recast and reboot Iron Fist, Elektra and Bullseye, I'd be fine with the rest of the Marvel netflix casts showing up in the MCU. I'd especially like to see Cox as Daredevil again, he feels like he'd fit the best and he's easily the best actor of the Marvel netflix show leads.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Daredevil should continue. The rest should not.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

With the exception of wanting resolution to Luke Cage's hanging plot threads, I agree.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Somebody referred to the X-Men upthread. Earlier I mentioned I would love to see a WWII Invaders movie, but I am thinking that a real Defenders movie would be a great way to introduce Namor.

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm kind of surprised they managed to start without us seeing some evidence before this. Usually we hear about the actors being spotted arriving there or something like that.
    Everybody involved was either spotted arriving Down Under, or even posted about going there when they getting ready to film Love & Thunder.

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose that's no guarantee that the main cast are involved (yet). Looking at photos of Cappadocia online if you point the camera in the right direction you could be on another planet (or in the quantum realm).

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'll be honest, I kinda don't care what happens next with Luke. Something about that second season just left me cold on the character. If he shows up again (assuming it's the same actor & continuity) I'll be happy if they just handwave away the cliffhanger with "he got blipped". That or Jessica showed up and dragged him off the The Raft too.

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, today was a game changer for the MCU!

dupersuper and Anwar like this.
  15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nah, Jess was great.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the latest episode of WandaVision features something that could be a bit of a game changer for the MCU depending on the explanation.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen any of the stuff she's worked on, but she's got a hell of a resume.

19. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

And what does Luke Cage have to do with Wakanda?

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Really though, it wasn't much of a cliffhanger. You could start a new show with Luke in a different situation and he decided to give up the club or it wasn't his gig and done. On with the new story.