Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Do we need another overarching big bad? Infinity War/Endgame was a unique undertaking. I think it would be a mistake to try to repeat it. Certainly it'd be worthwhile to have some long-term recurring villains like in the comics, but it shouldn't have to be a "next Thanos" with the goal of building up to another ginormous crossover.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Victor von Doom done right would be a great recurring menace in the MCU moving forward.

HotRod and The Nth Doctor like this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Too bad they have a habit of killing off villians. I'd like to see The Masters of Evil take on the Avengers.

Marsden and The Nth Doctor like this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't have to, but it worked once so I don't see why it wouldn't work again. Obviously they're probably not going to want to do the exact same thing again, but I could still see a villain crossing over multiple movies.
    He'd be my second choice, and is probably more likely since Marvel has full control over the Fantastic Four.

6. Christopher

That's the kind of thinking that tends to lead to diminishing returns as creators try to copy something special and never quite duplicate it. Better to try to do the next worthwhile thing than just try to repeat the first one.

Yes, I specifically said it would be good to have recurring villains -- just not the same kind of buildup to a climactic kitchen-sink crossover with the fate of the universe at stake. I mean, it's the Davies/Moffat-era Doctor Who problem. After you destroy the universe once, trying to match or top yourself after that gets kind of ridiculous. Better to explore other ways of telling impressive stories than to just copy your previous formula.

7. Turtletrekker

We still have Baron Zemo, who has close ties in the comics to the Masters of Evil. Emil Blonsky is a possibility. Justin Hammer can throw in a few Hammer-roids. Mitchell Carson made off with some of Darren Cross's knock-off Pym particles, which could lead to the Rita DiMara incarnation of Yellowjacket appearing. Mordo. Ten Rings could contribute to the effort. And, of course, I would want to see a few new villains join the mix.

8. Christopher

I still wish they'd bring back the Leader. Tim Blake Nelson was a lot of fun in TIH, and I want to see him go full supervillain.

And I'd like to see D'Onofrio's Kingpin take on Spider-Man.

9. Turtletrekker

Aaargh! I can't believe I forgot the Leader! Maybe it's because in my head I've already fan cast Tim Blake Nelson in She Hulk.

10. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Now that we fully have time travel there's Kang the Conqueror. I have a soft spot for him as he was in my introduction to the Avengers (the Council of Cross-Time Kangs).

Marsden and The Nth Doctor like this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Vulture is still alive, too.

I'd love to see D'Onofrio's Kingpin in a Spidey film. And so would he. :D

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I always thought Doom should have popped up after Sokovia was destroyed.

A megalomaniac intends to turn the crater that was Sokovia into a new country named "Lateveria"

Multiple countries don't acknowledge it

Doom goes to the U.N to "talk" with them into acknowledging Latveria

Enter the Fantastic Four

Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

They could still do that and say that the intervening years allowed Doom to slowly consolidate his power in the region.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Ah right. I still want a little bit more "The Snap" ramifications though

Perhaps Doom under the guise of being a good person brought displaced people from the snap. In five years it's grown into Latveria.

If Thor can start a small fishing community in five years Doom can expand his power in the remnants of Sokovia

Villains love real estate prospects ;)

Caretaker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  15. Turtletrekker

"Stocks may rise and fall, transportation and utilities may collapse, people are no damn good, but they will always need land and they will pay through the nose to get it." ;)

Anyway, the rumor mill has all live-action MCU content moving under the auspices of Kevin Feige at Marvel Studios, eliminating Ike Perlmutter and Jeph Loeb all together.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/marvel-studios-tv-1203349869/

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no idea who is responsible for what, but that seems like a bad idea. While I agree it's always best to have a single creative driving force, large monolithic creative enterprises rarely end well.

17. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The "source" of the article is "the perception of sources throughout the industry". Followed up by the phrase "mostly if not completely".

Not exactly definitive news yet. That said, where there's no smoke, there's no fire. And Marvel Television hasn't been producing much smoke lately. Of course, just like that Sony/Marvel deal, for weeks on end there could be no deal, and then all of a sudden there's a deal. So Marvel Television could go months without any news about new projects, but then all of a sudden there will be a new project.

That said, this wouldn't be the most shocking news ever, if true, but like mentioned by the above poster, I hope it's not true. If nothing else, the shows from Feige all sound like short 6 or 8 episode only shows, most of which probably aren't even designed to go past a first season. At least Marvel Television will give us 10-, 13-, 16-, and even good old fashioned 20+ episode seasons. And multiple seasons at that. And being a typical greedy consumer, I say the more the merrier. Of course, I want both, who could say no to those amazing sounding big-budget Disney+ shows? But Marvel Television has given me a lot that I've liked too, and in much more regular doses. So I hope it doesn't all go away.

And while I'm being greedy, I also want a weekly show (from either Feige or Loeb) set at the Xavier School starring a bunch of students who sometimes get taken on field trips by their teachers.

edit: that said, when was the last new show launched by Marvel Television? I guess it was Cloak and Dagger, which has already finished season 2. Other than Helstrom, they don't have much cooking. Hey, Helstrom was supposed to be part of some sort of Adventure Into Fear branded set of series, right? Whatever that was going to be, I wonder if it's as gone as the Ghost Rider series.

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would only want to see the Masters of Evil, if Zemo survives the Falcon and the Winter Soldier series to lead it. The MoE's greatest stories were Cap-centric (up to the point of Zemo's death), and with the TV series making Zemo the front and center villain for Cap's closest allies, that would be a logical transition to the films.

I've said it before, but I would love to see the Bernthal Punisher go after Spider-Man. The Punisher is the right kind of grit and realism that would mature the Spider-Man character and give him a wealth of drama in how to deal with a mentality that is not necessarily going to listen to his pleas / explanations. Someone just has to hire him...

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Fantastic news.

Sidelining Perlmutter is a source of much joy - leave him with the animated shows which I never watch, and keep the TV stuff together with the movies.

Marvel should start getting the rights to the Netflix shows back before too long. I wonder if there's room in the shared universe proper for those characters, The Runaways, Cloak & Dagger and maybe even Quake and Mockingbird from AoS ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Anwar, Teelie and The Nth Doctor like this.
  20. Christopher

I just read this yesterday, though it confirmed something I'd already gathered to be the case, that Perlmutter was the obstacle to getting films like Black Panther and Captain Marvel made: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-exec-block-black-panther-captain-marvel/

Anwar and Teelie like this.