Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Marvel have been very good about holding A4 and their post-A4 cards close to their chest. I feel like the only reason we even know about Spider-Man: Far from Home and when it'll be coming out is because technically that's under Sony's control.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Can you imagine nobody knowing about it and then it suddenly just materializes in theaters with little more than 2 weeks notice?
    Those were the days!

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I have to wonder why so many people are flipping out over EW's "The future is female" tagline. But then again, I don't see why so many flipped out over "The Force is Female" stuff from the new Star Wars (it's a reasonable thing to state, given how SW was traditionally a male dominated series). Are male fans THAT hyper-sensitive?

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yes. Next question?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think it's also partly because even announcing a new project post A-4 may give away how things will shake out. I mean just for argument's sake what if the post credit scene for A-4 is Carol sat there, eating something that's not Shawarma...and then suddenly Rogue tackles her. Cut to black. That would be a lot less cool and surprising if they'd already announced 3 new MCU based X-Men movies are in production.

Speaking of which, the Fox acquisition may mean some things are up in the air, being put on hold or begin moved around, so there's no point announcing things when it's all still in flux.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I seriously doubt after all the effort they're putting into Carol as a new major player in the MCU they'll waste her by simply making her a power source for Rogue. Hell, Rogue hasn't had the Ms Marvel powers in years (and she's proven she's awesome without them, like in X-Men Evolution).

Frankly, it'll be cool seeing Magneto trying to do his usual stuff in the MCU but he has to fight beings other than the X-Men who can clobber him.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You got the part where I said "...for argument's sake..." right? I'm not actually suggesting this is going to happen, just illustrating how advanced knowledge of any new projects (as opposed to continuations of the likes of Spider-Man & Black Panther) could *potentially* give away how things may or may not shake out in A4.

...still, having Anna Paquin just rugby tackle her out of nowhere would be hilarious, no matter how illogical. :lol:

Thestral and Marsden like this.
  8. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I want a Doctor Doom movie in the MCU.

The Nth Doctor and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

He's just about the only Marvel villain that I think can carry a movie on his or her own without his or her main adversary.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Marsden likes this.
  10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I would love a Doom 2099 movie.

11. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'd buy that for a dollar!

12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't believe the x-men will show up at all until the end of phase four, if not phase five.

But if they did want to start bringing them in, I see no reason why they couldn't do some version of the Rogue/Carol story. It's an adaptation, so it doesn't have to work along the same pace. Carol could get her powers back by the end of the movie.

Of course, there is that other complication that the current Captain Marvel trailer seems to be already hinting at Carol's amnesia plotline for her very first movie, which we know Rogue can't be in. If they've already adapted that with the Kree as the cause instead of Rogue, there's arguably not much left for a Rogue/Carol story to do that wouldn't come off as totally generic.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Carol Danvers had amnesia in her first costumed appearances, long before the incident with Rogue. Out of costume she wouldn't remember being Ms. marvel, having a dual personality for awhile. I'm assuming elements of this are what they're adapting when it comes to the amnesia plot, not the issues she had after she encountered Rogue.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Carol and amnesia do have a bit of history together.

Aside from her early stories and what happened with Rogue, there is this bit from Kelly Sue DeConnick's run that has far more dramatic potential...

15. kirk55555

All that happened with that is that she forgot literally everything (except not basic human things, it was a very selective tumor) for a few issues, but in sixish (or maybe less) she was interacting with everyone she knew just like she used to, and she'll still reference events from years ago.

Basically, it was a subpar story that no one actually wanted to follow (why turn Carol into a blank slate and throw away decades of character relationships?) and is completely forgotten at this point as far as I can see reading books with her.

16. Turtletrekker

17. kirk55555

Except I actually read the issues, so?

she sure as fuck was interacting with Jessica Drew (and Jessica Jones) just like she always had, with references to past events and everything, within months of that storyline, and she definitely had all her memories in Civil war II (which came out after that stuff), and in her last book.

18. Turtletrekker

What I disagree with is, "subpar story that nobody wanted to follow". When in reality that means "story I didn't like". It's bullshit gatekeeping that presumes to speak for others. And nobody in these boards, and I presume in the Power Ranger boards as well, consider your opinions about such things to be a standard bar of any kind.

19. kirk55555

So, you're not denying that the story was immediately ignored by every other book and forgotten quickly in her own? Also, its obvious that no other writers wanted to follow it, because no one but the (at the time) CM writer ever acknowledged the amnesia plot outside of maybe a line or two, and even then it was completely ignored fairly quickly. Of all the things the Captain Marvel books have done since Carol took the name, the amnesia plotline had probably the least effect and is not a factor in anything at this point, and disappeared so quickly even when it was happening that I would have forgotten about it if it hadn't pissed me off so much at the time.

Spider-Man having organic webshooters in the comics was a longer lasting plot point then Carol's tumor based amnesia, and a lot of people don't even know Marvel did that around the time the Raimi movies were still big.

20. Turtletrekker

I'm denying your opinions relevance to whether or not they go that route in the movie. They seem to be grabbing from aspects from all over Carol history.