Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

When Dark Reign / Siege ended, all the Marvel comics were under a new banner called "The Heroic Age", because Osborn was finally out of power and the heroes were back in charge.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I was being sarcastic. It was hardly a "heroic age" at all.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The cover to Daredevil 14 was a little misleading as Doom himself didn't actually appear in the issue. Matt's desperate and futile attempt to escape Latveria without his enhanced senses was a good read nonetheless. Foggy's sub-plot, looking into his belief that Matt isn't as well-adjusted as Matt would like to think promises to be interesting.

New Mutants 44 featured the welcome return of Cannonball and Karma (albeit as guest-stars) as well as a guest shot from the Defenders. I've always liked the original New Mutants, but when Sam and X'ian left, there were only two original members left were Dani and Bobby, so I dropped the book. I picked up the crossover with JiM , and decided to keep reading for the return of more original members. One thing that irks me though, is that in almost 50 issues, is that we have yet to have so much as a cameo from original member Wolfsbane. As much as I like PAD's take on Rahne, so long as there is a book called "New Mutants" on the shelves, she should have at least a small place in it.

Winter Soldier 7 continues the story of the last of the sleeper agents that Bucky trained in his old Winter Soldier days. I hope thay keep Leo around after this story wraps, as he would make a great arch-foe for Bucky.

Journey into Mystery 640 continues the "Manchester Gods" arc. I like the fact that Damon Hellstorm guested again as I think that he and Loki and Leah actually make a pretty good team. Loki's realization that he (and therefore Asgardia) are supporting the wrong side of the conflict was an interesting twist.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Black Widow a regular cast member of Winter Soldier? I thought she was just going to be in the first handful of issues.

5. Admiral_Young

It's possible Brubaker decided to keep Tasha as a permanent cast member. I love Winter Solider, it works because of Bucky and Tasha's relationship IMO. I think I would possibly drop it if she ever left. She does deserve her own ongoing though.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was buying her last ongoing but seems it was a year or so ahead of the love that she now enjoys.

7. Turtletrekker

8. Captain Craig

So how are Marvel AND Dynamite both doing John Carter books?

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think the copyright expires after 75 years?

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Public Domain.

Tarzan too.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

what Guy Gardener said. several of the John Carter and Tarzan books are public domain in the US. though the Marvel comics are authorized and endorsed by the Burroughs estate.

12. Captain Craig

^^^
    That fast huh? Essentially the life span of the creator. You'd think there would be a way to push back and extend that. So why then wouldn't say Mickey Mouse be in the Public Domain? Or some Golden Age Comic characters including Superman, Batman and Captain America.

Read Punisher #12 - I really liked this issue, despite a few pages of non dialogue with the Frank/Rachel fight. What sold it for me was it showed me two things. 1. Frank really would like a partner in his war. He doesn't want to really be alone. Rachel as a Marine and woman fills the roles quite nicely. 2. Rachel has what it takes. Not only could she land blows on Frank but could take and bounce back from the punishment he dealt out. As he points out to her though she needs to hone her mental state if she is going to fully commit to the war. Does her war extend past taking down The Exchange(the group that killed her husband and wedding party). I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Avenging Spider-man #8: I'm not actively reading the Spiderbooks so my question is this: Is Silver Sable really dead? If so what are the apparent loop holes. Like other characters she'll be back some way, some how--it's why I'm not too worked up about it. Comic deaths have for sometime lost their shock value over the last decade.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

it's 70 (the number varies from state to state and around the world)years after the death of it's creator(exceptions can apply.). Mickey Mouse can be treated as a trade mark which falls under different rules and remains the property of Disney forever so long as the trademark stays in use.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the copyright for the first give Martian/Barsoom novels has expired in the US but is still valid in the UK. the copyright for Tarzan expired but not the trademark. it seems complicated. even more so, as the Burroughs estate plans to sue Dynamite over some of these issues.

15. Admiral_Young

@Captain Craig...it's implied at the end of the Avenging #8 that Silver could still be alive, but yes at least for now it appears she could be dead. She was "killed" by Rhino in the final part of Ends of the Earth.

Let's see, Marvel picks next week:

-Amazing Spider-Man #688
    -FF#19
    -Hit-Girl #1
    -Incredible Hulk#10
    -Spider-Men #2
    -X-Men #31
    -X-Men Legacy #269 ( Ms. Marvel....Rouge...FIGHT!!!)

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Probably not. In the final issue of the "Ends of the Earth" story arc in Amazing, Spidey was forced to leave her behind because Rhino had grabbed hold of her, refusing to budge from where he was standing even as the room was filling with water. If he hadn't left Sable, Spidey wouldn't have been able to stop Doc Ock's satellites from frying the planet.

The way the apparent death was handled in both that issue and this epilogue in Avenging, however, wasn't for shock value at all but rather to see what it means to Spidey, especially in light of his "no one dies when I'm around" rule.

Also, for what it's worth, I only recently jumped back into comics, so the "Ends of the Earth" story arc was my first introduction to Slott's work on Spidey and he definitely has the character down. If you're a fan of the character, Amazing is worth your time and money (the only issues of Avenging I've read were this one and the one that tied into Daredevil's "Omega Effect" story arc). If I suddenly needed to drop every Marvel comic I'm reading for whatever reason, Amazing Spider-Man is the one title that I'd still try to find the money for (though I'm also quite enjoying Journey into Mystery - so thanks to Turtletrekker for championing that one in this thread, prompting me to try it out!).

17. Turtletrekker

Yay! And you're welcome! :):techman:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. Admiral_Young

Journey into Mystery I've heard wide praise from...not just here, but my friends who have read it. I might finally pick it up and take the plunge!

19. Turtletrekker

^ Not that I want to do anything that might scare away a new Journey into Mystery convert, but be warned that after the "Manchester Gods" arc, JiM will be entering a nine-part crossover with Fraction's Mighty Thor called "Everything Burns".

20. Turtletrekker