Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Next week's Marvel releases...

For me, it will be Avengers vs X-Men 2, Avengers 25 (Walt Simonson on art!), Defenders 5, The Punisher 10 (Part 2 of "The Omega Effect"!) and , Wolverine and the X-Men 9 (AvX crossover. Will be the first issue if WatXM that I have actually bought.)

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

My pulls for next week:

-Amazing Spider-Man #684
    -Avengers #25
    -Avengers Vs X-Men #2
    -The Incredible Hulk #7
    -Uncanny X-Force #24
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #9

Reviews for this week:

Avenging Spider-Man #6: Mark Waid just has transformed Daredevil for the better. He even writes an awesome Punisher as well. It looks like I might have to give that book a second chance, I know Ruka is writing it but I guess the introduction of Rachel Cole is in it? I dropped it after the slow first arc. The art was excellent, as was the snappy dialogue and banter between Peter and everyone else. I love the fact that Marvel has reinforced the friendships that Peter has made over the years with both Johnny and Matt Murdock recently. His quip to Frank was harsh even for Peter but worked! His internal narration of the possible reaction though made that joke work. I wasn't going to follow the Omega Effect arc but now I will.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, the Punisher has a lady sidekick now...? Are they doing it?

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Last nights reads

Avenging Spider-man #6 - I thought that as far as setups go this was as engaging, informative and dare I say fun as any I've read in awhile. It was also the best issue of this title since the opener with Red Hulk imo. The writing here only confirms for me what I already knew, anytime you have Punisher, Daredevil and Spiderman together it's more times than not fun if not awesome(remaining 2 chapters to be determined).
    I've been saying on this board how Rucka's Punisher was a great read. Seems that with Cole having significant time in this issue some are taking notice. Rucka's setup was way better than say...Justice League which some stuck with. ;) Now the pay off with Cole is happening and I'm curious to see where that leads after the Omega arc(assuming she isn't killed of course). Also, no she and Punisher are not 'doing it'. She insists on going by Cole, not Alvarez, as a show of love/dedication to the husband she had for all of an hour. Also, it's why she's gotten involved as an acolyte of Frank for those wanting to know. She is an ex-Marine, ex-cop who in the opening arc of Rucka's Punisher is more often referred to as 'The Bride'. She wants revenge on "The Exchange" the new criminal organization that seems to have put the hit on her wedding day. If you notice Frank uses more military terms in just this issue such as "Form on Me" for example. They are acting like a two man elite assault team now. Go pick up the TPB of Rucka's Punisher, it's good! :p

Scarlet Spider #4 - A good read that fully establishes the Assassins Guild as being a big player for the book. Kaine also makes the proverbial "deal with the devil" in this issue to buy some time. The 'devil' being the head of the Guild. I'm really curious about the tween, Aracyle(sp), that Kaine saved from being killed. She appears to at the least be a type of savant the way she is picking up languages. I'm going to have to make a choice on this book...or not since Moon Knight is being cancelled and GR just ended but we'll see. Money crunch is an issue yet again

5. Admiral_Young

Scarlet Spider: This book continues to live up to the hype that proceeded it and I dare say that it is attempting to correct the mistakes that Ben Riley's books made when Marvel attempted to make him the solo Spider-Man. Instead of doing that they should have gone in an almost "Batman, Incorporated" route and have Ben operate in a different city and make new friends. New allies and enemies as he has been doing in Houston. The art is just terrific and I'm digging Kaine's new cast of characters. The deal with Belladonna is most likely going to challenge his continued struggle with morality. This has been one of my favourite new books.

Fantastic Four #684: I thought this was the start of a new arc, but it seems that I made a mistake. An excellent issue as always. These types of ambitious peaks into possible futures always make me excited. I love the idea that Ben is immortal and that is a lesson that Reed takes to heart. I also got a kick that there was a Spider Person on the Fantastic Four keeping that connection and legacy. Another example of just how important Peter's connection to the family is or turns out to be. Point One issue next month.

6. Turtletrekker

I've read Fantastic Four 605 a several times now, and it gets better with every read. I think that it compares favorably to Lee and Kirby's classic "This Man, This Monster", in that they are both touching stories that explore the man inside the Thing's rocky exterior and the friendship between Reed and Ben. In years to come when people look back on Hickman's run with the team, this will be the single issue used to define his run and its themes.

ETA: As soon as I posted that I thought about Franklin's birthday issue, which would probably a better representative issue, but this one would be a close second.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The kids killed Ben.

If he didn't become human for that one week, he'd have lived forever.

However...

It's pretty likely that Ben could have found the tech to suppress his humanity if he did want to live forever.

Immortality is one thing, but getting "old"?

Fuck that.

Quality of life dude.

Old people hurt all the time.

If the Thing hurt all the time because he was an old Thing?

Imagine the tonnes of opium poppies they'd have to stir into a thick custard for Ben to bathe in? And I'm not talking about about a spa pool, but a full sized Olympic bastard.

Although.

The Thing does not float.

Or?

Maybe he's buoyant in opium custard?

8. Admiral_Young

It would seem Rich Johnston was correct and that supposed Gambit mini-series or series is actually a new Hawkeye book.

9. Turtletrekker

^And one starring both Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, the Young Avengers Hawkeye, at that. Fraction wrote a really good story with both Kate and Clint in the Young Avengers Presents mini some years back, so I hope he can re-capture what he did there.

@ Guy Gardener-- The kids may have done Ben a favor. He is far too human to live forever as as an immortal.

10. Admiral_Young

I'm honestly not the biggest Clint fan. I didn't really care when he was "killed" off in Bendis run and then brought back. I am however looking forward to Renner's performance since I'm a fan of Jeremy Renner. I do like the Ultimate Hawkeye better though. :) I did like Young Avengers though.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hawkeye is awesome and i'm glad he's getting such a big push from Marvel.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's in the movie.

And if in the movie, he's the beak out superstar?

they need a way to capitalize on that.

"Essential Avengers spotlight"?

On the Toy side of things.

They make a toy bow in sync with the movie line.

Some kid loses an eye.

Marvel has to hand over one billion dollars.

Stranger things have happened at sea.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  13. Admiral_Young

So the Gambit series is happening, just a different thing that turned out to be the Hawkeye thing.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/c2e2-2012-gambit-asmus-mann.html

Also I'm actually really intrigued with Space: Punisher now. The premise sounds like a Marvel Universe "Doctor Who" style episode. The Marvel Universe in space, through Frank's POV. This should be fun.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-space-punisher-frank-tieri.html

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  14. Turtletrekker

15. Admiral_Young

I'm going to cry after I read his final issue. I can't wait for the T'Challa arc as well. In Hickman We Trust!!!

16. Turtletrekker

UPS once again misplaced one of my LCS's boxes this week, so I won't be able to read Defenders 5 until it arrives.

Avengers 25-- Wow. This issue was worth it for the Walt Simonson art alone. As Simonson is one of my ATF favorite Marvel artists, and I consider his Thor run to be genuinely EPIC, I had an absolute nerdgasm when Thor arrived as drawn by Simonson in this issue.

As with New Avengers 24, the connection to AvX here is tenuous as the main part of the story deals with the Avengers doing clean-up from the Osborn arc. The final page, however, promises some intrigue involving AvX as one Avenger receives an agenda that will soon put him at odds with his team-mates.

Punisher 10-- the "Omega Effect" crossover continues to impress as our heroes lure all of the bad-guys out into the open in pursuit of the Omega Drive.

Wolverine and the X-Men 9-- This AvX crossover deals more directly with the AvX story as we see Cap coming to the Jean Grey school to recruit Logan and Beast for the Phoenix mission and Logan pondering what it means to go up against his former teammates. An OK chapter of the AvX saga, but nothing spectacular.

AvX 2-- Yet to be impressed with this event. The road getting here was filled with so many contrived occurances and OOC behavior (especially on the X-side) that the characters have been near unrecognizable, and such continues in the 2nd issue of the event. Who is a bigger jerk-- Cyclops for his tunnel-vision regarding Hope? Cap for his home invasion (the only word for it) of Utopia based on Wolverine's word alone? Or Wolverine, for his obvious bias against Cyclops that clouds his own judgement and decisions? I find it hard to root for anyone here except Hope, who was the only one smart enough to bail on these idiots and take off on her own.

The disconnect with Storm contiues as she questions T'Challa as to why he didn't warn her about this when she was there when they were planning it! WTF? A little coordination here, please. I really hope this title improves soon.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kill happy Wolverine irritates me.

Have a problem with Scarlet Witch? Wolverine: I'll kill her!
    Have a problem with Wiccan? Wolverine: I'll kill him!
    Have a problem with Hope? Wolverine: I'll kill her!

18. Admiral_Young

Logan hasn't exactly been Hope's number one fan in a long time, and Kurt's death made their relationship worse. "Kill Happy" Wolverine must be from another book because Jason Aaron hasn't really written him that way in Wolverine in the X-Men. He's still the best at what he does, don't get me wrong, but he's not exactly as how Praetor Shinzon described either...which was kind of the reason for the Schism in the first place.

The Incredible Hulk #7: This continues to be...well incredible. Jason Aaron is writing the hell out of this book. Marc Silvestri's art has been really good as well. This has been the most interesting Hulk arc since Greg Pak's Planet Hulk. The conversation between Doom and Hulk is interesting. Banner is obviously alive by the tease at the end of the book and looks like we're going to get Betty Vs Hulk again. Didn't they face each other when he was possessed in Fear It's Self? Anyway I'm really digging this book a lot.

19. Turtletrekker

I may just have to pick up the first trade of Aaron's The Incredible Hulk.

20. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

I downloaded Avengers v. X-Men 2 this morning. Very odd.

Scott Summers has suddenly become a paranoid, foolhardy sort. And Wolverine seems to lack human feeling: all claws and no pause. (Yes, he has a shocking temper. And berzerker and all. But always alongside some reflection and moments of kindness.)

Not sure if I'll continue.