Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm glad that I heard about the Captain America twist before I wasted $3.99 on it.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

[Looks up spoiler in question]

How the fuck is that being a leftist writer?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Nick Spenser is a leftist and he gets to live out his agenda with this new Captain America twist.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I hadn't seen any spoilers and decided to give it a try since it follows on the heels of Standoff, which I read. I can't say I am a fan of the twist. I'm also not a fan of the new costume at all. It is a horrible design. I can't say I was a fan of the colouring in this issue either.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it really a twist? I was sure it was

a fake out, a undercover thing to infiltrate HYDRA

Regardless, it ruined an otherwise good issue, and I have no desire to see where it goes, so I won't be continuing with it. Maybe when this story arc is done I'll check it back out.

6. Savage Dragon

I'm sure your right. I'm sure it'll have something to do with young Steve.

I will probably do the same.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read about it in a news story I don't know all of the details, but it does seem like a really strange thing to introduce.
    If he was turned into a Hydra sleeper back in his childhood, then why has it taken so long for him be activated? I guess they could try to say he's been working for them the whole time, but IMO that would totally destroy the character's entire heroic history and I just can't see them doing that.
    I'm assuming there must be a lot more to this than what the this issue appears to reveal.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Which would make sense if it was something like Rogers finding out the Republican Party is secretly run by HYDRA or something like that, not the freaking main character being HYDRA.

9. kirk55555

Wait, a sleeper agent? I read the issue, and I didn't get that at all. I just looked it up, and that's what they're going with. Ok, well, screw Marvel. I'm definitely not reading any more of that run, I'm dropping Spencer's Sam Wilson book, and I don't plan to ever read a Nick Spencer written book again. He's officially joining Frank Miller on my list of "Writer's whose work I'll never read again".

This is One More Day levels of awful. The only difference is that Cap: Sleeper Agent will get retconned immediately after Spencer is done with the book, or whenever Infinity War comes out in theaters, whatever comes first. Even if it turns out they're lying and it is a fake out/deception (which is probably how they'll end up ending the story), I'm still pissed off and done with Spencer.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ok, I leafed through Captain America. It seems the obvious answer is
    the Red Skull used his Xavier telepathic brain to put a whammy on Steve and give him this manufactured history as a Hydra agent.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  11. kirk55555

That's a story element that really needs to be resolved. Still, regardless of whether that's what happened or not, its still really stupid.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually he does almost exactly that, by having the Red Skull spouting far-right anti-immigrant/Trumpist talking points. Spencer's biography is more similar to Alan Grayson actually, more on the left for his own personal gain and for sheer partisanship reason than any genuine belief in my opinion.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think the whole thing is pretty absurd. it's something that we all know isn't gonna last. it is designed to give people a knee jerk reaction and get some press.

14. Savage Dragon

Well I'd say mission accomplished in this thread.

15. kirk55555

Marvel has pulled a lot of stuff like this (not this specific twist, just stupid shock stuff), and its really started to get on my nerves. A few years ago, I'd probably have just rolled my eyes at this Cap stuff. But, even as a big fan of Marvel Comics, my tolerance for stupid shock twists has dwindled. There's only so much I'll put up with. There is so much DC and Marvel to read that if something really irritates me it doesn't hurt to just drop it and find something else.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

while i really enjoy stuff like the new Ms Marvel and the new take on Thor...i too am getting a bit tired of these shakeups. they rarely last for more than two years and are immediately replaced by the new status quo. i mean, how long did Superior Iron Man last? eight issues? i enjoyed it but man, that whole run is little more than a footnote in a wiki now.

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Stuff with the X-Men, the nonsense with Cap and the constant shakeups have soured me more and more in regards to Marvel. If it wasn't for the current Star Wars line, there's very few Marvel comics I would actually be buying nowadays.

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

What is the worst retcon Marvel has pulled?

Steve Rogers secretly being HYDRA since the beginning.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being mutants and no longer related to Magento.

Spider-Man One More Day/OMIT/Brand New Day

Tony Stark not being the true born son of Howard Stark and instead being adopted.

Alicia Masters being a Skrull infiltrator.

New X-Men Magneto being Xorn.

Gwen Stacy's relationship with Norman Osborn in Sins Past.

And others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Of course not. We all know the GOP is run by the Secret Empire. ;)

Cap'ls been left of center for most of his existence. For anyone to play "leftist" card is pretty laughable at this late date. Hell, he was created as a New Deal Democrat. As for the twist, this leftist thinks it's absurd and a weak attempt to shock and get headlines. It's lame no matter what the politics of the writer is.

20. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Well, that's going to get some people talking. Part of me is curious how Spencer is going try and write his way out of this one. Because as written, there's absolutely NO reason for it to be a cover or a trick. Cap really is what he says he is. I suspect time travel, a cosmic cube, or Red Skull telepathic shenanigans are involved, but it doesn't make me any more enamored of the idea.

And I've dropped this book after just one issue. Not because I think it'll last. Even if Spencer intends for this to be the new status quo permanently, which I doubt, the next writer will promptly set things right on the first page of their run. But because I'm not looking to support this kind of shock-value, sensationalist comics. I don't care about Spencer's politics, and he's not actually a bad comics writer. But I'm not looking for this kind of story, and I'm not dropping dollars on it.

Shame, because the Sam Wilson book actually hasn't been bad. But I figure crossovers are inevitable, so I'm probably done with that as well.

Strange day. I went from pumped about having a Steve Rogers book back, to just disappointed and sad at the treatment of said character. Oh well, time to break out the Brubaker run to get the sour taste out of my mouth!