Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I liked the minor update of Daredevil's origin - that the guy driving the truck was on his cellphone...

2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Loved the 90's GoG, cant stand the current team. May have to dig out some old issues if I can find the right box.
    Superior Spiderman good again this week. Peter really did waste his life didnt he. Not even a doctorate to his name.
    Uncanny Avengers again pretty .
    Avengers not to bad this month but mostly filler for future stories.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@JoeZhang...I'm not sure if that was a minor retcon of DD's update or a studio filming a possible "Daredevil" film and updating the details during Matt's narration :) At least that is what I thought it was.

Superior was awesome...remember though that circumstances prevented from Peter from graduating from college, etc. This is something that Otto has yet to realize. He's not fully comprehending the responsibility and sacrifice Peter has put into being Spider-Man, at the constant expense of his personal life. Otto thinks this is because Peter wasted his life, but it hasn't dawned on him the full extent of Peter's burdens. The brilliant thing about Otto being Peter is that he is still seeing Peter's life through his villain eyes and experience. He has access to Peter's memories, but not really using them to understand Peter Parker the person, he could care less about that, he's using the memories to either beat villains, or try and get through dealing with the people in Peter's life! The how and why he got through various things or didn't is lost on him. That's part of the genius of Slott's work right now.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No the Marvel writers wasted Peter Parker's life mostly by clinging to the whole young superhero thing and not letting him grow up much.

5. Admiral_Young

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well he did become a teacher.

7. Hartzilla2007

And then that was dropped along with his marriage just to have perpetual loser Spider-Man.

Oh and while this is considerably overdue, but thinking about it I so f@#king called it with Superior Spider-Man, i.e. the Peter Parker sort of dying thing.

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You called that one of the most iconic heroes ever wasn't going to really be dead?

Buy some lotto tickets. Now!!

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Peter was currently working at some super-science lab place.

10. Admiral_Young

He is. Horizon Labs...until Otto probably goes and ruins that for him ;)

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The boss already tried to read Otto the riot act for being a prick when DocOck unveiled billions of dollars in new patents for Horizon whereafter he was allowed cart blanch to be an even bigger prick.

12. Mike Farley

So then...not perpetual loser...other than getting mindjacked by his archnemesis? And that happens. Hell, Kitty Pryde got taken over by Baron Karza once...

13. Guy Gardener

Mutant Terrorist who has used the phrase "Uncle Doom" on numerous occasions.

She didn't need much any help.

14. Mike Farley

Kitty? A terrorist? Careful how you talk about the heroine formerly known as Shadowcat, flatscan.

15. Admiral_Young

I don't think Guy was talking about Kitty...I think. I don't ever recall Kitty calling Doom "Uncle Doom". That's Val.

16. Guy Gardener

Go Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the Mutant Massacre.

Kitty was trapped in ghost form.

Stuck, but fortunately not starving to death.

(Which would have been funny)

Cue the Fantastic Four vs. Avengers Miniseries when the X-Men hand over Kitty to Reed Richards in the hopes that he can fix her. He can't. Reed is stumped. So he rings up Doom transatlantically and asks for a solid, who can't help but seize the opportunity to prove that his intellect is so much more massive than the so called Mr. Fantastic.

(Seriously? I hear people call Sue "Mrs Fantastic" more often than anyone ever calls Richards: Mr Fantastic.)

Doom and Kitty developed a relationship.

Doctor/Patient... Friends?

Whatever.

Doom cured her and that put a soft spot in her heart for him.

In recovery, the X-Men die (fall of the Mutants) and she goes to live in England with Excalibur.

Cue Excalibur 37 or 38, where Doom tries to conquer Limbo, but before he does the back stabbing scorpion thing, Kitty lets him into their Lighthouse homebase past security and gives the despot a big hug calling him "Uncle Doom".

Some asshole saves your life, and it generates a peachy blindspot.

In season two of House, (a blond) Leighton Meister from Gossip Girl (The Brunette with the Jackie O fetish.) gets a wiggy psychological disease that makes her super horny whereafter the 15 year old child offers her virginity(?) to House... I thought that was hilarious and water under the bridge, but yesterday I saw a movie called "The Oranges" where a 29 year old Meister is reverseMrs-Robinsonning Hugh Laurie during a series of passionate and intimate PDAs, some seduction secens and at least one sex scene where you don't see anything.

Lots of tongue.

If there's a psychological situation (transference?) where a patient can't help but develop loving feelings for their Doctor, is Blair Waldorf and Greg House any more less likely a hook up than Victor Von Doom and Kitty Pryde bonding platonically?

Now in your head all you're thinking is "Hugh Laurie as Doctor Doom? Wow. That'd be so cool. How do I make that happen?"

17. Admiral_Young

I'd forgotten about that...it's been a long time since I've read Mutant Massacre.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know the discussion is going to turn to this weeks books any post now but just wanted to say I took the threads advice and got GOTG #.01 and it was indeed a great story told in one issue as promised. I'm of course curious how Tony/IM is going to be in space and in Avengers tales but I'm guessing it may be just for an arc.

At any rate it was as solid as promised. With Punisher War Zone gone, which I was going to consider my pulls thinned out after that, I'm replacing it with GOTG now for at least the first arc. I do miss my Vance Astro team though.

19. Hartzilla2007

No I called the seemingly lame rehash of Death of Spider-Man Dying Wish seemed to be going for at the time, by pointing out how regular marvel seems to be copying Ultimate Marvel and hoping they wouldn't be that lame.

This was before the whole not really dead retraction thing back when we didn't know what Superior was really about.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Age of Ultron #1:

first impression. yet another alternate reality tale. doesn't "count". not as interesting. and given the total lack of explanation for the premise, it all feels pretty small. Ultron doesn't even appear. just like "House of M". yes I know there were consequences at the END of House of M, but the alternate reality itself didn't "count".