MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Well, if we're going to do the list thing:

1. Spider-Man 2
    1a. The Dark Knight
    3. X2: X-Men United
    4. Batman
    5. Superman: The Movie
    6. Spider-Man
    7. Iron Man
    8. Watchmen
    9. The Avengers
    10. Man of Steel

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

LOL, NASA's budget has been terrible since the Nixon administration. Cash for Clunkers played absolutely no part in it's current state. In fact, CfC officially started in 2009 and as you can see here, NASA's budget actually rose marginally that year.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In the 1400s the ancient Chinese also turned back from long range ocean voyages for trade and exploration.

4. Astraboy

Astraboy Ensign Red Shirt

Personally, I didn't think it was that bad. The movie from the 3rd trailer (I think) was particularly anthemic. I'd recommend the track "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World" from the soundtrack.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

They hinted at the reason both with the inclusion of the Phantom Zone prisoner/scientist Jax-Ur and by showing Krypton's destroyed moon Wegthor, which he blew up. That was what ultimately prompted the Kryptonians to give up space travel.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, yeah.. Dredd should be on my list.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The one overriding thing the '78 film had was that "cool" moment when Superman first appears in Metropolis and saves Lois Lane. Today's f/x blows that away in terms of polish, but that decades old scene is still cool. That sense of awe seems missing in MoS despite the really nice visuals. Maybe as an audience we've simply become too jaded for that to work anymore or it's simply now a lot harder to get the gee-whiz feeling out of a scene.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly so. This was made explicit in the movie.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I went in with an open mind... And came out with a crushed soul.

Calling it a piece of garbage would be too kind.

Fuck you, Nolan. You used to be beautiful, man! What happened?

10. Locutus of Bored

:lol: Okay, obviously I was mistaken about the telepathy. I thought there was a part at the school before he went in the closet where he was reading someone's unspoken thoughts about him, but it must have just been the super-hearing.

I blame that damn "Can you read my mind?" monologue from Superman. ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EielU8CNG8[/yt]

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I rathere enjoyed the movie, I liked how they finally fleched out Krypton, I thought the cast was stellar and Amy Adams made a great Lois LAne, she was beautiful, spunky and classy at the same time. I also liked the music and have th soundtrack, Hans Zimmer didn't try to mimic John Willaims' themes he created his own. And while killing Zod was a risk, it was peferable to allowing Khan to live in Star Trek Into Darkness.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's kinda funny that Batman doesn't kill, but Superman does.

13. Locutus of Bored

Batman didn't seem to have any qualms with machine gunning the shit out of the guys in the Tumblers and trucks in TDKR (one of which directly showed the bullets from The Bat killing the driver of the truck), and he caused Talia's fatal crash. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Plus, his whole Ra's al Ghul "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" line was a copout on his part. If you sent Gordon to blow up the tracks and then stand by when you could save Ra's from the crash, you most certainly did kill him.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with either.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was actually agreeing with Locutus - I quoted the stupid Vulcan emoticon by accident. Telepathy or no, his essential point is correct.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

16. Locutus of Bored

Oh no, I knew you were agreeing with the larger point of the post, I just found it amusing that both posts had the same emoticon reaction. I didn't realize you quoted his emoticon.

ETA: AR07, I don't have time to listen to Smith's review at the moment (because apparently every online movie review these days needs to be the length of a film itself - but at least Smith is an entertaining speaker), but just out of curiosity, was it positive or negative?

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

He also killed the Joker in the '89 movie.

The idea that superheroes (or some of them) don't kill is a conceit to some extent. It might be more accurate to say they won't murder or they try to avoid direct killing unless it's impossible to avoid. As a general rule superheroes do try to bring the villain to justice rather than just offing them otherwise they would be no better than hit-men.

Batman and Superman both came out during the era of the gangster or soon after. They fit into the perception that a sort of warfare did exist between the gangsters and law enforcement. And in war there isn't much sentiment or regret over killing the enemy.

In the recent Batman films as well as with MoS both Bats and Supes were faced with ideological zealots who would not stop. There really isn't much difference between Ras al Gul and General Zod in terms of mentality. In the end the heroes realize and accept the only way to stop the villains was to kill them, or in Batman's case simply let Ras die.

MoS makes two significant changes to the origin story: Superman isn't introduced gradually and Lois learns who he is right off. In previous versions Superman (in costume) simply starts helping people and earns their trust before being faced with a really big menace. In MoS trust is earned in the fire of combat when they see whose side this alien is fighting on. It didn't have the magical element the '78 film had in how Supes first appears, but it is nonetheless quite dramatic. Lois learning of Clark's identity right off works simply because it establishes her as a genuinely smart and capable person and finally gets around the silliness of simple glasses being a convincing disguise. I, too, have enjoyed Clark stupefying Lois in how he can get the scoop on her so easily or get onto a scene so fast, but if you're going to treat the subject matter in a more realistic manner than that conceit can't really work convincingly anymore. So better to get it out of the way and simultaneously show how sharp Lois really is.

Watching this film I admit that I thought it might be rather fun to see Christian Bale's Batman and Henry Cavill's Superman interacting together. But since Bale's Batman is essentially retired (in universe assuming they are one and the same) then that isn't likely to happen.

18. Shazam!

He likes it, Ralph Garman doesn't.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two hours?! I was interested, but I'll pass. Unless you're a RedLetterMedia Star Wars review keep it under 20 minutes.

20. Shazam!

It's not really a review. Kevin Smith has a (usually) weekly podcast series called Fatman on Batman in which he interviews people involved in the Bat-verse. Mark Hamil, Kevin Conroy, Grant Morrison and Jim Lee have all been on there. This week they took a break from Batman to cover Man of Steel.