MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think it is poor screenwriting(at least to me). It isn't just because I don't like what they've done. An example of screenwriting that I don't like is Zod killing Jor El or Jonathan Kent's scene about letting those people die to keep things a secret--I didn't like those scenes or those changes but I still wouldn't say they weren't poor screenwriting at all and even acknowledge them as effective. However this is a different animal all together.
    With all that disaster and destruction going(which admit it was there just to make things look cooler) I never really rooted for Supes like I should have, at the end they're is no resonating acknowledgement of any damage and the tone of the film unwarrantably shifts lighthearted for the ending to avoid a somber finale to the film. SHOW ME some instance of Superman taking strides to protect someone and not him just brashly launching at Zod and cruising through buildings like they are just play sets or something. It wasn't just poor screenwriting, it was lazy screenwriting. If your counterargument is that 'Well dumbass he couldn't he was in a life and death battle he has enough trouble holding his own against Zod as it is.'' Then I would just say at least showcase that Superman has an ounce of worry about the damage and even give him throwaway line to Zod about taking this fight somewhere else then Zod simply rejects the offer-- keeping to his word about killing every human. You could easily have conveyed the gravity of the situation and how it weighed on Supes just through those lines alone. It's not scriptwriting rocket science.

Well be my guess. However I do think we would be working Goyer to death writing everything wouldn't we? Well, in that case I might be a tad bit cautious seeing every DC film(unless hey have a talented writer-director). I got nothing against Goyer as a screenwriter I just think he works best with another writer or assisting with scripts rather then working on a script singularly.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mostly I was using a Hackman Luthor quote for hopefully comic effect. :p

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Which sort of begs the question.... If Kryptonians had been breed to be birthed by the robots from The Matrix why were they given the ability to breed in the first place? What does Jor-El need a penis for and what does Lara need a vagina for? Hell, what are men and women needed for at that point? If you can just make whatever/whomever you want and don't need people to actually get-down to make people; gender and biological procreation is useless.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

And the craft services team!

Lol

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Something I forgot to mention in my review... the use of the song "Seasons" by Chris Cornell! I haven't listened to that song in a couple years and forgot how awesome it is lyrically and musically.... and when used it fit perfectly with the scene. I was totally jamming out at that part. Carry on...

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hated that bit. Really took me out of the movie. I thought I was watching Singles or something.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as the destruction goes, I wonder if it's another situation like in ROTJ, where the script only called for blowing up the shield generator, but the FX guys went completely overboard and blew up the entire freakin forest. Lol

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this is a good question.

We know so little, but from the dynamic comic sculpture history lesson that Jor-El showed us, I got a suggestion that there are still families, but that the Krypto-stork brings the babies. Could sex be practiced, but just not for procreation?

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well even without being bred for it, it's possible all Kryptonians are just naturally very strong and good at fighting.

Or maybe, given the fact he already decided to break taboo and have a natural child, Jor-El's "programming" was a bit off and different from the others.

They may not need any sexual organs, but I imagine when they came up with this technology, that was something they decided they still VERY much wanted to keep. ;)

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, deciding to keep fucking would clearly be a major dilemma for the Kryptonians, since like human beings they only have sex for purposes of procreation. ;)

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

What i'm looking back on after the movie has sunk in is the relatively calm/nonchalant way people return to normalcy.

At least 20 blocks and 700 billion dollars in damage.

Then Lombardi asks Lois if she wants to go to a baseball game

Seems weird to ask that

Is there even a baseball stadium left? LOL

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

We also don't know how much time as passed when that scene takes place. I would guess at least a month, could be 6 months.

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't look like there was a sports stadium of any sort in the affected areas.

Wanting a map of the city as designed by the animators for those battle scenes, personally.

14. DEWLine

I remember Ian Tracey mostly from his work on Da Vinci's Inquest and Intelligence, two of the better crime dramas made up here in Canada in recent decades. It threw me more than a bit to see Tracey - Penikett, too, come to think of it - near the bottom of the full-cast list billing in this one...but, Hollywood, right?

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Comments like these really confuse me.

16. DEWLine

Do our actors have one?

(Well, if it's secret, I shouldn't know about it until/unless I become an actor anyway!)

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Jor-El and Lara were procreating naturally and developing spaceflight in defiance of their world's laws. You don't think he might have prepared for the consequences of that eventually becoming public knowledge by learning some Kryptonian Karate and using his scientific know-how to develop a more badass power armor suit and weapons?

Seriously? Did you just ask why people would want to have sex other than for making babies? :wtf: They still have friends and marriages and relationships on Krypton. Not everything is programmed in.

The decision to stop natural procreation was a fairly recent one (relative to Kryptonian history) and related to overpopulation concerns. Why would they neuter themselves? What if the population stabilized and they wanted to return to the old way of doing things?

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe that something consistent with everything we saw, that wasn't addressed, and that would probably be quite reasonable, would be that Kryptonians were sterile due to the presence of some contraceptive in their systems. As the preeminent scientist, perhaps Jor-El then counteracted that in himself and Lara?

19. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Not out of character in the least. It's exactly what the 1930s Lois might have said if given the chance. Think classic Kathryn Hepburn, or Rosalind Russell in the newspaper film "His Girl Friday". That's Lois.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I thought it was very in character as well.