Mad Men, Season 5. General Discussion Thread (spoilers welcome)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Carl's missing. Where's our little boy? :lol:

You don't know what it's like to be alone!!!

I saw you three minutes ago...

Carl, your mom's a whore.... :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Betty I can muster some sympathy for, but Lori Grimes shall forever be fair game. Talk about a bad wife.

Joan ever so calm and collected....shooting the zombies at the office. BWA HA HA HA HA!!! Priceless.

2. Dorian Thompson

Well that was a striking, bizarre episode of our favorite show. I knew Don had to be dreaming, but cheating is obviously still very much on his mind. Like Megan said herself, that kind of appetite, you can't blame that all on Betty. Don was a serial philanderer and his issues with women aren't over. They still lurk beneath the surface. He's going to find a way to fuck things up with Megan, whom I feel sorry for in a big way because she obviously loves him. He can't function in top form as Don Draper the shark if he's domestically content...and he's threatened in a big way by Chaci, aka Ginsburg.

The whole bit with Peggy and Sally and Henry's odd, bizarre, knife holding seconal dispensing to children mother and Sally being afraid of the Chicago killer--I don't quite know how to process that. :wtf: Her daddy just kicked her out of the blue one day and told her she'd never know what to expect? No wonder Henry loves Betty. He was raised by the same pathology. Poor Sally. She doesn't have a prayer.

Was Peggy afraid Dawn was going to steal from her purse or something? She's going to get screwed over because of this presentation she's doing for Roger. I just know it.

3. Dorian Thompson

Guess I was the only one who watched the episode Sunday. What a shame. It was pretty damn good.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Oh, I certainly did and always do. This one really blew me away. It was fantastic.

I thought the dream was real at first. I have read a couple different views on what parts were the dream and what was real. Personally I don't think that woman ever came to the apartment. Its a sign that running into her on the elevator shows he is haunted by his past. Which is the core of the character.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

AV Club didn't care for it, but I really liked it. I'm surprised how far they took Don's hallucinations. I kept writing them off as unreal, but they kept reappearing...and then finally they did turn out to be unreal after all. I'm glad Joni kicked her husband to the curb; that was a long time coming.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am glad Joan dumped her husband. The alternative would have been for him to die in Vietnam. But then she would have just been a grieving widow and not taking control and getting rid of this loser.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the character will actually go away at this point, or reappear to cause further trouble for Joan and her child down the line. (Or maybe just get killed off-screen.)

8. Dorian Thompson

I guess she's going to tell him that the baby isn't his and not collect child support? I realize he's a cretin, but collecting child support under false pretenses is still very, very wrong.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't "get" Joan's husband or why he wanted to run off again.

So did I. I thought... Whoa! How will Don cover this up?

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Has it been confirmed that the child isn't his? I know the possibility has been suggested, of course, but I can't remember if it was ever confirmed if Joan went ahead with the abortion or not.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This week's was surreal and I loved it. I wonder if the dream spells trouble for Don and Megan or if it represented Draper putting his philandering ways to rest.

12. Dorian Thompson

The child is Roger's. Greg had been gone too long. I think Roger is probably in the dark. She probably told him that she went to "visit Greg" after the "abortion" or something similar and he believed it because he wanted to believe it.

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I take back everything I said about Pete crossing a line over Roger in "Tea Leaves". Roger is pathetic and he's going to end up broke by giving away all this money to bribe people.

I'm glad Greg dying wasn't the solution. Getting kicked out is the best end to Greg's character we could've had. Back during the third season, I was surprised Joan was actually going through with marrying him, '60s or not.

The Draper dream sequence was insane. I'm surprised he didn't look under the bed to make absolute sure he was dreaming!

Pauline is a bit of a hypocrite. She'll discuss rape with Sally but won't let her read the paper? Though maybe she changed her mind once Sally read about the nurses and the cat was out of the bag.

14. Dorian Thompson

So--Signal 30 airs this coming Sunday. Traffic fatality code. Bets are on about who the potential traffic fatality may be. It's directed by John Slattery. No details are being leaked. All Slattery would say was that Vincent Kartheiser has some terrific material in the episode and that it was great being able to work with and direct him in the episode since he's a real fan of Vincent's work. Also, apparently VK needed a stunt double for the episode. :vulcan: Interesting.

Of course, there's no guarantee any of the characters are going to bite the dust. It could be some random passerby in an accident witnessed by one the characters that deeply affects him/her. Somebody might merely be seriously injured in a car accident. One theory is that after the party at Pete and Trudy's place, a drunken Roger might hit Pete with his car and the stunt double was needed to take a dive over the hood. Given the animosity between Roger/Pete, that might be interesting. Or it could be something completely different. :techman: Slattery seemed really excited to have been able to direct this episode. It piqued my interest. Other potential victims mentioned in online speculation are Lane's wife, Dolores, Trudy Campbell or Tammy Campbell. Pete doesn't drive, so I'm assuming he isn't going to hit someone with a car...or maybe he's learned to drive and he does.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

When AMC was negotiating during the long hiatus, the word was that they wanted to save some money by eliminating a cast member of two. That may or may not happen though, as Weiner seemed to get his way on just about everything.

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'd sooner believe Miss Blankenship's previously unknown, never-before-heard-of twin sister will appear in "Signal 30" than a primary or secondary character being killed off.

17. Dorian Thompson

Lane's wife has just been signed to star in another series. A lot of people think it will be her for that reason, and that it would clear the way for Joan to finally have an unmarried boss take a fancy to her. She and Lane did have the "comfortable" vibe with one another that longer lasting couples seem to have. I wouldn't be shocked if Dolores Price didn't last the episode. Pete accidentally hit her with a car, maybe? Or Signal 30 could just be a clever misdirect from Weiner as an episode title. It wouldn't be the first time.

Alison Brie already has a recurring role on "Community" so Embeth Davidtz being cast elsewhere may mean nothing at all.

18. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering; has Roger ever brought in an account on his own besides Lucky Strike? And, hell, he didn't even bring that one in! He inherited it from his father, didn't he?

Also, if they are going to kill off a character next week, I hope it isn't Trudy. I really like her. She has the kindest heart of any of those characters. Well, usually... ;)

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Joan is certainly no saint, is she. She committed adultery, initially lied to her husband and allowed him to believe he was the father of her child, and then allowed him to go to back to a war in which he could die believing he was the father of the child to which his wife gave birth. If this is her idea of repaying him for the rape, I'de say that, at the least, they're now even.

The Sopranos used to have some rather unique dream sequences too. I like that this one didn't make it easy for us by showing Don snapping up to a sitting position in a cold sweat.

I think Don really wants to be faithful to Megan, something I didn't think was true with Betty. And as others have pointed out, I also think his strangling the ho' in his dream was symbolic of his desire to kill that part of him he feels he cannot control. But why can't he control it? Draper is certainly a mass of contradictions.

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because his mother literally was a 'ho. The dude has some seriously deep seated mother issues.