Macross Delta (tv). Coming in 2016.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a different feeling to be sure. It's still nice though. Perhaps it'll grow..

And up two posts, don't forget about Myung or for that matter Milia or several of her daughters, not just Mylene.

In related news, in Macross history, this past week on July 7, 2016, the last transmission was recieved from Megaroad-01, the first colonization mission from Earth counting as residents Minmay, Misa Hayase and Hikaru Ichijo. They and their ship were not heard from again following a seemingly normal commnique reporting they were off to investigate a black hole...

Mark

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Another interlude episode. If not for the beautiful song at the end, I would wish they go on with the war story.

3. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed.

4. Lynn Minmay

BTW ladies and gents. The first Bluray/DVD (which will have episodes one thru three) will be released this Friday (with each future volume released monthly...nine in all).

This one's special as it's the first Macross tv series to have official English subtitles! You can purchase it from retailers like Amazon Japan, AmiAmi, CD Japan and they DO ship to the US.

[​IMG]

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

*sigh* Despite my lack of Japanese skill, I may stick with fansubs because I can't stand "translation" of honorifics.

6. eGuy

eGuy Ensign Newbie

It's never bothered me much, but I can understand that viewpoint.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that anime series make by far the majority of their revenue from disk sales. Buying the blu-rays is the single best way you (or any fan) can place a vote for more Macross to be made and, especially, for more Macross with English subtitles. They're expensive, but I'll be buying a set for that express reason (plus actually liking the series, of course).

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

8. Lynn Minmay

Here's my unboxing of Volume 1 BD. :)

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decisions decisions.

My copy of volume 1 has arrived. Watch straight away or wait for another 8 months and watch the whole series together? Hmm....

10. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

11. Enterprise1701

It is...interesting...how the anime has thus far mostly portrayed the Windermereans as militaristic jerks. On another forum, a guy who read the tie-in manga said that the manga gave a lot of background on why the Windermereans were waging war against the NUN in the first place.

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Well, that's the end. Lots of unanswered questions, with both Frontier and Delta setting up a continuing and somewhat covert story involving the fold bacteria, protoculture and Lady M. Overall its an okay show, but not as good as Frontier.

13. eGuy

eGuy Ensign Newbie

In terms of the series, episode 26 was a decent ending. It didn't fix the mess of the last ten episodes, but it brought resolution to the main points of the plot.

Hayate and Frejya make sense and them together is an earned conclusion that I'm happy with. I'm really disappointed that Mirage got sidelined as much as she did through the series, but I'm also pretty happy with her seeing Hayate as more of a brother/friend/partner than a lover.

Delta took the Lost approach on its main mysteries, and that's frustrating, but I'm very relieved that we didn't have a last minute Lady M ass-pull cameo as episode 25 seemed to hint towards. At this point in the series, that would've been a much bigger disappointment than leaving it unresolved.

The action was fairly low key, but I actually don't mind that. A big fleet battle with wall to wall dogfights would've felt like too much of a retread of Frontier. Since they borrowed the hive mind aspect already, I'm glad they kept the focus on the character growth for what won the day. The Elysion looked good doing its thing and the action that we got was fun.

Bogue being pissed off that he had to help Walkure was funny and fit nicely. It actually made me respect him a bit more (not a lot, but some) that he followed orders despite his personal feelings. I would have liked to get a Hermann/Mirage interaction to complete that circle (which started all the way back in the asteroid battle of episode 6), but you can't have everything. The Keith/Roid conclusion mostly fell flat for me, but then they've both been such poorly realized characters that this was hardly a surprise.

Does Delta go down as a success? Debatable. The missed opportunities with the characters and story are pretty glaring and frustrating, and the storytelling choices and pacing in the second half leave me scratching my head. That said, there were an awful lot of things it did really well (at least, most of the time). Frontier was a better story, but Delta has better characters and is an interesting departure from the Macross formula. Maybe too much of a departure, but I won't fault it for trying. If there's a movie, a DYRL style retelling that trims out the exposition and brings Mirage out of the shadows would make this a damn good tale.

14. Enterprise1701

The finale of Macross Delta was a hell of a ride...into a trainwreck.

15. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overall, kind of disappointing. I don't really feel like anything was resolved at all, it just....ends. The lack of Yoko Kanno composing also hurts this show.