Spoilers Lower Decks General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by mdtauk, Oct 25, 2018.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

With Discovery and Picard, we had clips six months before the shows premiered. So I'd say the lack of any kind of trailer does make me wonder how much faith they have in the product. But we'll know the outcome in a few weeks either way.

Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think in this day and age trailers are useless..

Also, since trailers are usually made by another company they may not be wanting to spend the money.

Blooded likes this.
  3. SurvivorJoe

SurvivorJoe Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think the lack of a trailer necessarily means a lack of faith from the studio. Back in May, Mike McMahan said that covid had caused a slow down in the post-production of the show. I can see a trailer being at the bottom of the priority list when you're still trying to get the actual episodes done.

Season 2 of Umbrella Academy drops on Netflix on July 31st and the trailer for that only came out about an hour ago.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I disagree - trailers are an attempt to build awareness and popularity for something in an attempt to get a larger viewership.

Now, trailers on streaming services like CBSAA are arguably more useless because the people viewing them have already paid the money to get the service.

Trailers need to be seen on the more publicly available stations that are still being used in various localities where there are still large audiences who haven't yet "cut the cord". If we're not seeing anything anywhere about this, then I'd argue that CBS is dropping the ball on marketing and may not have as much confidence in the product, despite all the grassroots buzz being generated online about it (although, yes, CV19 is also a contributing factor, no doubt). Remember all the ads for Disco in the past on regular TV? Paramount did a SuperBowl spot for Trek back in 2009 and WalMart even added Pike's Disco Enterprise for a Superbowl spot a few months ago (ironic it wasn't Discovery)!

The suits don't seem to want to do their homework anymore. It's likely because they think such grunt work is beneath them, these days.

5. Lorcan Kelly

Lorcan Kelly Lieutenant Red Shirt

But even if we discount the lack of a trailer there has not even been small clips or teasers. It does have me worried but again i hope im wrong.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes
    Honestly, in this case, I'm kind of glad there's no trailer. The thing about comedies is that the trailers are basically a showcase of all the jokes, and in many cases, the best ones end up getting used since that's how you sell a show. But it get's annoying watching a comedy and just seeing all the jokes I've already laughed at in the trailers.

Also, I get the impression this show is more niche show aimed at Trek fandom rather than the general public. They may not be worried about a trailer since the target audience are already guaranteed to watch it anyway.
    Yeah, but that's SOP for Netflix and always has been.

7. fireproof78

Agree to disagree and all that jazz. There has yet to be a trailer I have seen within the last 5 years that seemed to generate interest beyond "Could be interesting."

Save that money and spend it elsewhere.
    :rolleyes:

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What's an "Eagle Moss"?

I kid. Not really a ships or collectibles guy. So, no for me.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Amazon already pimpin’ The Boys season two, which doesn’t debut until September 4th.

Plus, haven’t we already seen footage from Discovery season three?

137th Gebirg likes this.
  10. fireproof78

A trailer hasn't kept people from talking about it so...six of one half dozen of another...:shrug:

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

People are talking about it here. On a Star Trek board. How many people outside of Trek fandom are talking about it? That's who trailers are meant for.

BillJ likes this.
  12. fireproof78

Fair point, I suppose. I guess I'm that weird outlier who despises trailers with a white hot fury of a thousand red giant suns.

13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not opposed to a star Trek comedy cartoon. But if it's like Rick and Morty I won't like it.

I'm kinda hoping for a kind of humour and characterization along the lines of stuff like Bob's Burgers maybe. That would be awesome, and I think that kind of humour would fit the idea of a show focusing on the "losers" of Starfleet.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Love that show - can't wait!

BillJ likes this.
  15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although not announced yet, CTV Sci-Fi will undoubtedly air it same day it streams on CBSAA, just as they have Disco, Picard and the Short Treks.

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My assumption (note, IANATVX) is that Discovery S3 was originally slated for August, but removed due to the status of the delayed post-production process. Lower was then moved up to fill the hole because it was pretty much finished, but this caught the promo guys off-guard.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aren't promos typically made of the first few episodes only? It's not like the entire season needs to be completed for them.

19. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

I now wonder if for some of us will have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to come out to see an official release of Lower Decks.

If there was going to be an international release in line with the US and Canada I think we would've heard something from Amazon or Netflix by now but neither seems to have shown any interest in it.

20. fireproof78

That's why I wonder if CBS was hesitant to spend the money sending it out to have trailers made. Or the schedule didn't work.