Lord of the Rings TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cyrus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there any new news on the show? I feel like I've stumbled upon Tumblr.

2. The Scrooge Doctor

The Scrooge Doctor Bah humbug! Premium Member

Not really. I think the last concrete news we got is how it's set to be the most expensive television series ever.

3. Kerock

Kerock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's going to be great! I can't wait.

4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Too early to tell. Seems to be a business decision in search of a creative justification. So the money's there, but it needs a very competent and steady hand to guide it.

5. Kerock

Loosely, any pair from a set of five towers in the story could plausibly fit the title: Cirith Ungol, Orthanc, Minas Tirith, Barad-dûr, and Minas Morgul. A trailer of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers interprets the title as referring to the alliance between Orthanc and Barad-dûr.

I always figured the Two Towers are Minas Tirith and Minas Morgal (Tower of the Moon). The orgin of the two main armies. Although there is a stong argument for Orthanc and Barad-dur.

"Would you have me come to Gondor with this Thing, the Thing that drove your brother mad with desire? What spell would it work in Minas Tirith? Shall there be two cities of Minas Morgul, grinning at each other across a dead land filled with rottenness?" Frodo to Farimir.
    [​IMG]

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul is what I'd heard when I was reading them, but for the movies Orthanc/Barad-dur makes more sense since Minas Tirith doesn't appear until Return of the King and Minas Morgul is only briefly glimpsed at all (does it even get talked about?).

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should be glad they skipped the Scouring of the Shire, that really would have dragged things out.
    I absolutely love the movies, they one of my all time favorite series
    I didn't really care for book Boromir, even before he went after the ring, the only reason the movie version ended up as good a character as he was is because of Sean Bean.

mos6507 likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I believed it gets mentioned as part of the reveal of the Witch-King of Angmar.

9. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

So anyone picking up "The Fall Of Gondolin" at the end of the month? As far as I know it will more like "Beren and Luthien" than "Children of Hurin". Which is a shame. I still with Christopher would've just done his best to craft a coherent tale as best he could, with some disclaimer at the beginning announcing such.

10. The Scrooge Doctor

I was planning to but I hadn't read about that distinction. I'll probably still get it though.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

You're expecting too much. I don't think Christopher Tolkien approaches this like a novelist. He's just a curator of his father's work and he approaches filling in the blanks more like someone extrapolating missing verse from the dead sea scrolls. The end result is mostly an academic pleasure.

The Scrooge Doctor likes this.
  12. Leppaludi

Leppaludi Vice Admiral Admiral

He's 93 years old - it's unreasonable to expect too much from him.

The Scrooge Doctor likes this.
  13. Jed-Gelt-67

Jed-Gelt-67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly I didn't much care for Children of Hurin. It just lacked the magic of JRR Tolkiens writing/narrative style.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

And 2takesfrakes apparently took that vacation he needed.

crookeddy likes this.
  15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not all talking points are good talking points.

The film ended precisely where the book ended. To do otherwise would have been the definition of inappropriate. All these so-called 'endings' touted by those who weren't fans of the books weren't really endings. Stopping the film when the screen went black, for example, would have been a terrible excuse for an ending.

JÓLAKÖTTURINN likes this.
  16. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

Reading it as a kid, I thought it was Cirith Ungol (Frodo and Sam's destination for most of the The Two Towers (book)) and Orthanc (the rest of the Fellowship spends their time dealing with the actions of Saruman), Although, it should be noted that the Hornburg also qualifies as a Tower. The Two Towers (book) only really involves these three.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Kerock likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I'll take both. Can I have both? The books and the films?

Kerock likes this.
  18. The Scrooge Doctor

To each their own. The Fellowship of the Ring (both the film and the novel) is my favorite of the series.

Turtletrekker and Leppaludi like this.
  19. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can have my copy of the book, if you like :beer:

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. Kerock

The books were my first intro into into the world of fantasy a long time ago. The movies were our family Christmas movie for several years running. Good memories all around....no disappointments in either. I wasn't crazy about the old animated movies...but my kids loved the animated Hobbit.

As a little girl my daughter loved the song in the animated Hobbit when the Dwarves were cleaning up the dishes at the unexpected party at Bag End. As a young adult watching the new Hobbit movie for the first time, she was tickled pink when the Dwarves sang the song.

"Chip the Glasses, crack the plates,
    That's what Bilbo Baggins hates."