Spoilers Lord of the Rings TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cyrus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure Wheel of Time is going to have to have a pretty big budget too, and the effects in the first episode of The Boys were pretty damn impressive, so that's probably got at least a decent size budget.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A few more bits of info have come out of an interview that Tom Shippey did with Deutsche Tolkien. The first season will have 20 episodes, which is pretty long for these kinds of streaming series. He also said that they are being given a pretty good amount of freedom, since Tolkien did go into a ton of detail about The Second Age, but they are being required to follow everything that Tolkien did establish. So they can come up with their own characters, and plots, but everything will have to line up with the stuff that Tolkien did say happened.

777, saddestmoon, BK613 and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Well Tolkien's stuff from the Second Age was "Big Picture" stuff, so it's not really any different than telling a story against the backdrop of say, WW2, or something. I'm much happier about a Second Age series than a young Aragorn series though.

EmoBorg, DrCorby, 777 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Hmm, second age, Sauron and the Numenorians. Will we see my namesake? I think so.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

My enthusiasm had increased tenfold knowing this is second age shit. Very nice

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This series has now become my most anticipated viewing of...[whenever it gets released]

:) I’m excited!

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  8. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’m not gonna lie: I’m hoping that a line of 6-inch action figures is produced as well! I have already got a sizeable collection of Toy Biz LOTRs action figures, and a bunch of the Bridge Direct Hobbit action figures - so to add some Second Age Numenoreans (soldiers, Kings, Queens, mariners, etc) and some more Elven characters to the mix would be fantastic! :)

Not to mention Sauron himself!

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

So, I got my Ages mixed up. Still very excited about Second Age stories. Happy no 3rd Age. I've had enough there. Why is First Age off limits though? Hopefully that ban gets lifted after 3000 years of stories a few years from now. Working backwards by Age works real well though from a viewing standpoint. I gotta reread Silmarillion.

saddestmoon likes this.
  10. The Nth Doctor

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He looks a bit like Hugo Weaving, especially in the brow.

Just saying...

saddestmoon likes this.
  12. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Yeah - he could pass for a younger version of Elrond...quite nicely indeed...

saddestmoon likes this.
  13. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Elrond was a half-elf who chose to an Elven/immortal life
    Elros was Elrond's twin brother who chose to live as a man with a extremely long(500 years) lifespan, but not immortal. He became the first King of Numenor.

So they could be going with Poulter as a descendent of Elros with a similar look.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they were going to use Elrond they'd probably go with an actor the same age as Hugo Weaving. He looked pretty much the same in the Fellowship of the Ring as he did in the body of the movie, so he didn't age between the second and third ages.

15. The Nth Doctor

Even immortal elves were young once. ;)

StarCruiser and saddestmoon like this.
  16. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Kids these days have no idea how lucky they are. Back when I was growing up, fantasy movies or tv always equaled horrendously low budget and usually cheesy. Really looking forward to this.

17. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I am curious. Just how does one choose to live like a man or elf ?

StarCruiser likes this.
  18. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Elves are magic beings in the books so... You can choose to be immortal (which has it's own price) or a very long lived mortal instead.

19. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Elrond has a complicated family tree, with ancestors that were Elven, Human and of the Maia. From the wiki page: "Elrond, along with his parents, his brother, and his children, were granted a choice between Elven or human fates by the Valar. Elrond chose to live as an immortal Elf, while his twin Elros chose the mortality of Men." However, Elros's descendants were bound by his choice (were born, lived, and died as mortal Men) whereas Elrond's children were not (which allowed Arwen to make her choice.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  20. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

When one has a direct line of communication with the angels/lesser gods, you get to have these choices.