Spoilers Loki season 2-- spoilers and discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sad.

Nothing Loki did was novel to anyone who has seen this story a hundred times before.

Silvy in McDonalds, genius.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Go damn - this was so crazy but also so much fun :lol:

I haven't gone WTF so many times in a single episode for a long time and couldn't accurately repeat this to anyone because it was so bonkers insane.

Loki Season 2 is off to a very good start! :techman:

3. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This show is very Doctor Who-esque, which I love. It's one of the few non Agents of SHIELD MCU things I actually care about.
    Also Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleston are a perfect comedy duo. They'd slay in a buddy cop movie.
    Also, SYLVIE. And we got one last scene of her with the Daisy Johnson-style wavy bob, too.

4. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Great start to the season. As others have stated, really hit the ground running. O.B. is a great add.

Note: For those who might exit after the end credits start to roll (some folks), this episode does have a post credits scene... You don't want to miss it!

HIjol and Commander Troi like this.
  5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was great.

Also, the title graphics continue to be superb.

HIjol likes this.
  6. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

Great start to a sesason. So much bonkers fun!

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That was wonderfully crazy and continues to lean into its similarities to Dr Who. Hiddleston and Wilson continue to make for a great double act, but then they add Ke Huy Quan into the mix and things get even better! Was great to see Liz Carr and Kate Dickie joining the cast. Also I'd forgotten Eugene Cordero was in this!

Plus lots of Jonathan Majors while at the same time no Jonathan Majors! Do we know if much ahem, pruning, has gone on in relation to his involvement in the show?

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. Lordcommanderdarkwolf

Lordcommanderdarkwolf Commander Red Shirt

Great start. 9/10.

HIjol likes this.
  9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

No, his status within the MCU is still up in the air. I figure Disney is waiting for the outcome of the trial to see how to proceed. If he had any minor role he would have been long gone and his role recast or simply dropped but his character is the cornerstone of the current storyline so it's harder to do that without tanking the entire thing. I believe there's only 3 or 4 movies he'll appear in ( including the 2 parter to end that storyline) so Marvel/Disney may hope the trial either takes longer or he's found not guilty of the charges. If not, well then Marvel has a huge PR problem on their hand.

Starkers likes this.
  10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Casey was listening to the same "Stay Awake" podcast that Steven Grant was listening to in the first episode of Moon Knight.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    1987SpaceGuy and Commander Troi like this.
  11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's extremely likely they changed their minds. They probably didn't want to waste time reintroducing everyone to Loki, making them trust him, ect. Not needed for the story. The fact that they invented and sorted out the time-slipping in one episode is evidence of that I think. I think we are supposed to assume the portal sent him back in time "normally" initially. Then he time-slipped back to his "native" spot in the timeline (for some reason).

Jedman67 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not bad, but kind of limited in scope so far, since it was just about stabilizing Loki, recapping the events of season 1, and discussing their aftermath. Worthwhile for the interplay of the cast, though. Wunmi Mosaku is a breakout performer here, I think; I love how Hunter B-15 started out as a ruthless, dangerous figure but has become a voice of morality and compassion. And of course, Ke Huy Quan is charming as always.

The biggest thing that bugged me was the scene where Ouroboros's memories changed in the present when Loki interacted with him in the past. For one thing, I've always hated the nonsensicality of stories where events in the past or future somehow happen "simultaneously" with the time traveler's present, or in the order in which the audience sees them. Causality should not work that way. If something happened in the past, it should already have happened even if the audience or characters don't know about it yet. It's solipsistic to assume causality must progress in the order we observe it.

For another thing, showing people's past being rewritten in that cliched way violates the rules of MCU time travel established in Endgame, which actually got it right for a change: the only way to alter a past event is by creating a parallel timeline that coexists with the original rather than replacing or transforming it. You can't have a "before" and "after" version of a single moment in time; by definition, they can only be simultaneous. Again, just because the time traveler or the audience observes one before the other doesn't mean that's objectively the order in which they happen. I was so glad that Endgame actually got it right, and now Loki is falling back on the stupid, nonsensical cliches of fictional time travel that I hate so much. And it adds the equally stupid cliche of people in the present being aware of their memories changing in real time! If events were changed in the past, they should have had those memories from then to the present, and have no awareness that they're in an altered timeline. It's self-contradictory and silly.

More fundamentally, a universe should have consistent rules, no matter how fanciful they are. You shouldn't change the way time travel works from story to story. I mean, good grief, the whole premise of Loki season 1 was predicated on the idea that any change in time created a new branch rather than rewriting the original one! So doing it this way doesn't just contradict Endgame, it contradicts Loki itself!

The only saving grace is that it's happening within the TVA, a realm out of time, so maybe the rules are different there. And they said the rules are changing from how they used to work within the TVA, so a lot of things could be in flux. It still doesn't hold together in terms of its internal logic, but at least I can hold on to the hope that it doesn't change the rules established previously, so long as it remains limited to the TVA.

According to the producer, they didn't change a thing.

https://uproxx.com/movies/loki-season-2-kevin-wright-jonathan-majors/
    Any changes in Marvel's plans for Kang won't take effect until future productions.

It did kind of feel like they were walking back what they'd set up, or that there was a new creative team taking a different approach. Looking it up, I see that this season does indeed have a different showrunner, though one who did work on season 1.

Starkers and Set Harth like this.
  13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Time works differently here", though annoyingly OB references 400 years have elapsed since he saw Mobius, throwing a wrench in my theory that everything happens at the same time in the TVA.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, naturally everything can't happen at the same time, because time has to move forward in order for people to breathe, move, talk, metabolize, think, etc. That's another of my pet peeves in fiction, the contradictory pretense that characters are in a "timeless" realm while obviously engaged in time-dependent activities like thought, speech, and movement.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, that makes the most sense and I'm willing to go with that. I'm just amused because eagle-eyed viewers noted his new role during the brief sequence (especially since it wasn't overt at all) and all kinds of theories floated around. And now it was all for naught.

16. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Damn that was fun! I love O.B. and just found myself happy this show is back.

Avalon and HIjol like this.
  17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorite Line;

“I have no memory of having my memory wiped.”
    ~~Mobius
    :guffaw:

plus, O.B. Rules! :bolian:

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

19. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman:
    @Dee1891, I hope you find things to like! :bolian:

Agreed!
    As other commenters have mentioned, the Chemistry and Timing between Wilson and Hiddleston?
    Delicious! :techman:

Commander Troi likes this.
  20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral