Spoilers Loki season one discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So uh the non-english language credits for this episode may have spoiled something about Female Loki

She's credited as 'Sylvie' in this voice cast. all the other credits list her as 'The Variant' (or the language equivalent)
    [​IMG]

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Is Sylvie significant in some way in the Loki lore? If not, it's probably just some random name that was used for Spanish.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So was the "Ren Faire" some kind of coded message about Renslayer? I'm being facetious....I think....

Some funny easter eggs on Loki's training computer, it has a question about what would happen if Thanos ate two apples and went back in time to eat them again. Then when Miss Minutes pops back after Loki harasses her it says "Test Failed". Maybe not easter eggs but nice touches anyway.

I wish Doctor Who had a little more of this energy/vibe at the moment. I'm real curious where Loki's going to end up next week.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This episode was a lot of fun, Loki screwing with the TVA guys at the Ren Faire was pretty fun.
    The Pompeii scene was the best part.
    The relationship they built up between Loki and Mobius was a lot of fun. I love how casually Mobius just shot down all of Loki's bullshit.
    So it is Lady Loki. Definitely curious exactly what she is up too.
    From what I've read online, I believe the comic version of Lady Loki was introduced when the Asgardians came back after the comics version of Ragnarok. I'm not sure how exactly it happened, I just know that he came back as a woman. At one point he was also deaged to a teenager, who was a member of the second incarnation of the Young Avengers.
    That thought occurred to me too. Even it's not that, the fact that they are setting them up as this big mystery makes me think there's going to be some kind of big twist when we finally see them at the end.
    EDIT: IGN has an article with a few more details on the origins of Lady Loki.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Sylvie Lushton is one of the incarnations of the Enchantress, if memory serves.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loki gave Sylvie her powers

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for the people to start complaining about the climate change messaging in the show.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, thanks for that. I had no idea.

I'm certain there are people already doing that.

SolarisOne likes this.
  9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Paging Nerdrotic.

777 likes this.
  10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Did anyone understand better what she did at the end? It looked like every time she assaulted a team she collected their timeline resetters and then sent them all to different times at the end, but were they wired to explode or was it something else?

Corran Horn likes this.
  11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I think you've got it. When we saw one used at the beginning of the episode, it seemed to only disintegrate stuff that was part of the alteration in the timeline, but it's possible that's a program or calibration set by the user, or that it dissolved the variant stuff preferentially, but if there's no variant around then destructive energy starts going to work on stuff that's supposed to be there, or just that she modified the charges to be more universally destructive. The upshot seemed to be dozens, if not hundreds, of disintegrations throughout all of history in places where things were not supposed to have disintegrated.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  12. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With Loki so gender-fluid, I want videos of the "happy ending." If we want to include the Eddas as canon, or at least inspiration, Loki has swapped genders and gotten pregnant enough times in the original legends to make Loki's gender effectively non-existent. Credit to the Vikings for being so trans friendly.

Meanwhile, I was laughing my head off throughout the episode. Hiddleston and Wilson should go down in entertainment history alongside Abbot and Costello, Martin and Lewis, Lemon and Matthau, etc. Hope this is just the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was just talking about it with a friend yesterday. Marvel just took very superficial notes when they created their Asgardians for the comics, the full mythology has Loki doing things that would make US Bible Belters faint from shock, disgust and outrage :lol:

Just Wikipedia how Sleipnir, Odin's horse, came into being according to mythology and you know where i'm going with this.

And i agree with the chemistry between Hiddleston and Wilson, they are so great together. It seems both actors have it easy to create good chemistry with co-actors, as of now i can't remember a movie or show where that was not the case.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"Holding out for a hero" certainly getting a work out recently.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess it's all those projects with ties to 84/85

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved the episode overall, but man, that song choice was REALLY jarring. It didn't work for me here at all, not even in an ironic way when listening to the lyrics, whereas for MotU, it had my crazy excited.

Mr. Adventure likes this.
  18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Dad, I brought you a new horse, er, don't ask me where it came from. Oh. And it has eight legs."

"Loki, do you really think I can't figure out where it came from?"

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a former Ren Faire participant in CA back in the mid-90s; I hate to say it, but the Ren Faire participant who said: "Hey, you're improperly dressed...some of us need this..." <--- I wasn't one of hose (I just enjoyed the after hours on site partying); but I KNOW Ren Faire people exactly like that from that era.:crazy::rommie: (And trust me if you've EVER worked a Ren faire for multiple Faire seasons you KNOW its true.)

I also loved the Loki line: "...now I know why Thor found this so annoying..." (as the other Loki changed from person to person...)

As for the Loki variant being a female - this interesting thing here is, IF the 'sacred timeline' is so 'under timekeeper/TVA control' to the point they've caught all branches, there is no way a female Loki should exist to grow to (and especially considering how long lived Asgardians are and take to get to that point) to Asgardian adulthood; as Loki is male in their 'sacred timeline'. (IE another point to show the whole 'controlled sacred timeline/timekeepers working for the good of reality' is just BS - and something else and very bad is going on here.)

And the more I watch of his portrayal, the more I LOVE Tom Hiddleston in the role. MCU casting picked the right person in spades here. I'm sure he's a well rounded actor and I hope he doesn't get pigeonholed/typecast to his career detriment, but yeah he's really made the character his own and done a really great take of the character.

I also really like (but yeah with only 6 episodes a season I guess this is a given) that they are NOT dragging any of the mystery out, they're just going ahead full steam. So far a really good and entertaining show. Looking forward with anticipation for the remaining episodes this season (and there's not a lot on streaming/TV that I can say that about.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Ar-Pharazon and The Nth Doctor like this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I wonder if this means they're combining Lady Loki and The Enchantress into the same character? According to Wikipedia Sylvie got her powers from Loki, so there is a connection there.
    The artist who goes by dvglzv on Instagram, who did comic book cover style artwork for WandaVision, has posted his "cover" for the first episode of Loki.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021