Spoilers Logan - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Feb 27, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

17.9%
  2. A

32.1%
  3. A-

17.9%
  4. B+

16.7%
  5. B

4.8%
  6. B-

2.4%
  7. C+

4.8%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3.6%
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

:lol::guffaw::rommie::rofl:

And with that final ringing endorsement from Opposite Lad™, Logan's place in the pantheon of great comics movies is officially secured.

3. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Lieutenant Red Shirt

i dont know about you guys but i cant get over the innocent family the so called good guys put in danger. I mean charles is cuckoo but logan? wilth all his years of experience with weapon x and the xmen. After knowledge that the reavers kill ppl including kids, you decide to spend the night in this innocent families home. For real? the writers could not find another way to have the family killed by X24. I just feel this movie turned into a mastubatory session with hugh jackman and patrick stewart. Pats on the back for everyone. The plot was kinda contrived and unbelievable, plus the way Caliban was treated by logan was disgusting, and why were the kids safe just across the canadian border. Its in the middle of the woods why wont the mercs just cross over and kill them, is there an anit merc forcefield? I mean if i saw a silhouette of magneto or alpha flight waiting just across the border it would make sense.

I cant beleive i am saying this but the wolverine seems truer to the character of logan than this movie. I think that if the wolverine was rated R ppl would consider it a better film. Plus i fell asleep for a bit in the middle of the film, it was kinda boring and no i am not some kinda only action fan i enjoy intellectual scifi like mr nobody. I was just tired of how empty and devoid of characters the movie was, i feel it tried to portray a post apocalyptic feel but rang hollow due to the fact that clearly the world was still just fine and logan was an uber driver lol it dont get more unapocalyptic than that.

I get that it was going for a western feel but logan was the opposite of heroic and kinda stupid for an experienced gun slinger, what with letting the family die by spending the night, nobody was injured and needed medical help, they could sleep in the car etc. The movie was just over rated, ppl got too hyped over seeing wolverine be truly bloody for the first time and throw in a few professor x swear words and we have Logan.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Logan has been nominated for best adopted screenplay, which is rather historic when it comes to superhero movies getting legitimate award recognition. Would a win in this category warrant a limited theatrical re-release? Or is it too "secondary" of a category?

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Maybe some portion of it was electrified, kinda like how they used electrified cages to suppress Jean Grey's telepathy & Nightcrawler's teleportation in X-Men: Apocalypse.

Normally I like dark action movies but I think Logan may be a bit too dark for me, particularly since it seems to kind of invalidate the happy ending that we got in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Now, this is still a better timeline than the one where the Sentinels just killed everyone but it still sucks. It's very well done though, particularly the performances from Jackman & Stewart. It also gave us one of the best "How It Should Have Ended"s ever!

Astra likes this.
  6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just caught Logan on HBO. Hey, it was a fun movie!... particularly if you're an aging, mid-life crisis type Dad of a daughter. I guess I'm at the stage where I like the reunion / torch passing gimmick. We identify. Anyway, a nice way to spend 2 hours on a lazy Saturday night...

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I just saw this too (finally.)

I now know how it actually feels to have your guts tore open by claws made from fictional super metal.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the movie although I think the things that are most frustrating about the Fox movies are the unfulfilled potential, and their shitty approach to continuity.

As a stand alone movie this is a great film, but as the capstone to the Xmen franchise, it's frustrating. Although the Xmen would in aged 50-80, you still would like to think that the outcome of Days of Future Past would be less terrible. That said, we don't know for sure who died, or to what extent the others just went underground.

Caliban looks great for a man in his eighties but I suppose if you never go out in the sun, you aren't going to age much. He clearly spent the intervening years living in Bristol, UK, turned into a nicer person, and lost his foreign accent. This is far less annoying than ageing Angel and stripping him of his entire personality.

I wish the classic Reavers had been more front and centre so I could have appreciated them more. It would have been nice if they could have included the creation of Tyger Tiger as well.

Overall this is a really strong entry into the franchise. Low key like X1, focusing on character emotions rather than blockbuster special effects. I hope they can see that this is a better way to from now on.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I've watched it again recently and enjoyed it quite a bit. For me, I just approach any X-Man movie after X3 as a stand alone, not necessarily connected to others in the series. It is less frustrating that way--and, originally, Old Man Logan was an elseworlds type series any way so that approach works here.

Turtletrekker and Ovation like this.
  10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I can understand recasting characters but why can’t they keep the same accents? First Moira McTaggart goes from being an American CIA agent to a Scottish doctor. Now Caliban switches from creepy German to cranky Englishman.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark Phoenix looks more like the capstone at this point, and that's if we overlook the jump-scare The New Mutants.

Fox needs a Feige!

I mean, I get that there was no coordination between the productions of Apocalypse and Logan, and that's why we have the two Calibans. Because no one in charge even knew the character was being used in both films.

But the more frustrating thing about Logan is that... it doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of the X-Men prequel trilogy at all. Despite the choice to set the film in 2029, there's no evidence that Days of Future Past even happened. Nor is it clear that they plan to do anything to follow up on Logan's timeline. As a result it feels way more like an "Elseworlds" type of story than it should.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Pauln6 likes this.
  12. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    What would acknowledgement of Days of Futures Past add to Logan? Obviously a LOT happened offscreen between these 2 movies that wasn't remotely relevant to the story being told.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It just seems odd to me that it's not mentioned at all.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark Phoenix, according to co-star Olivia Munn, is Part 1 of a 2-part story, not a "capstone" on the XMCU.

Re: DofP and Logan, there are 6 years between the end of the former and the start of the latter, and absolutely no narrative reason to directly reference the plot of the former.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering if The New Mutants takes places around the same time as Logan and that is why they are all being held captive. It would fit given what we saw in Logan.

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Logan sits after the future in DoFP so it is the capstone chronologically, I suppose. If Professor X is in his nineties, Beast would be in his eighties, while Scott and Jean would be in their sixties.

The real continuity screw up will be if nobody has told the writers that Jean and Professor X are supposed to live after the Phoenix saga this time...

In my head canon , none of them died, they just went through the Siege Perilous to be reborn in the marvel universe.

17. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

People tell me that's how my accent developed over the years. :shrug:

The Borgified Corpse likes this.