"Live Long and Prosper" - Meaning

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Scott Kellogg, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You can't trust how a culture is portrayed by its conquerors, who have a vested interest in making it sound evil and worthless so that their conquest comes off as justified. And it's not like Europeans at the time didn't have a lot of cruel and bloody customs of their own, like the Inquisition.

The question is, where does our idea of Spartan culture come from? Is it from the Spartans' own writings, or is it Athenian propaganda meant to make the Spartans sound inferior?

BK613 likes this.
  2. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Well, had the Spartans had their own (written) culture, we wouldn't have had to rely on other peoples' testimonies, they could have spoken for themselves.
    The same thing happened with the Gauls, they didn't have much of a literature, so what we know about them comes mainly from other cultures.

3. Christopher

Why we lack information is not the question. We never have complete information on anything, which is why the first rule of studying history is not to blindly accept the truth of any single account. A historical document is not evidence of objective fact; it's only evidence of what the creator of the document believed, or what they wanted to convince others to believe. So any historical source needs to be interrogated and placed in context, not just uncritically swallowed. In short, don't believe everything you read.

It's a profoundly ugly thing to suggest that lack of written information about a culture is that culture's "fault," or is evidence of some inherent deficiency in a culture. There are many reasons why such records might not have been preserved, or might have been lost to history or deliberately destroyed by a people's enemies.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

How did we get here?

:shrug:

:lol:

Anything further to discuss regarding the Vulcan greeting?

NCC-73515 and Henoch like this.
  5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It also does a disservice to historical inquiry to reduce Sparta's rise and fall over six centuries to a single sentence that seems to repeat more the pop culture idea of Sparta then any science.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

BK613 and 1001001 like this.
  7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I was thinking more...

[​IMG]

dupersuper, T'Bonz and BK613 like this.
  8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That works!

"This is not my beautiful forum!"

dupersuper, BK613 and 1001001 like this.
  9. Swedish Borg

Sometimes it feels like we're a bunch of talking heads...

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You're assuming that Vulcan ideals were the same as Picard's ideals.

Apparently businesspeople on Earth/in Starfleet don't accept money in return for the work they do or the goods they produce. Picard interprets this as "we don't need money anymore" not long after Beverly decides she must acquire that hideous cloth on Farpoint Station and tells the Bandi merchant to "charge it to my account."

I've never seen any indication that Vulcans share Picard's notions. It just seems to be some of the Starfleet people in TNG and DS9 who think that permanently acquiring stuff is crass, disgusting, and downright uncivilized.

This is refuted by Beverly and her bolt of cloth and Ezri Tigan's family business.

So each culture has its own idea of what it means to prosper, and different subgroups of the larger culture have different ideas.

To which the reply is, "Your service honors us."

Greece wasn't actually a country back then. It was a loose group of independent city-states that sometimes allied against outsiders, but more often tried to kill each other.

Mayan. The Aztecs also did human sacrifices.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

lies-my-teacher-told-me-9780743296281_hr.jpg
    To wit.

BK613 likes this.
  12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group

Spartans had a culture all right. Even a reprehensible culture is still a culture.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  13. Christopher

Exactly. Culture is fundamental to any human population, and even many nonhuman species have demonstrated elements of culture, i.e. behavior that is taught from generation to generation rather than genetically inherited.

Saying that any group of humans "has no culture" is an assertion that they are subhuman, and that is an attitude that has no place in any legitimate discussion of history.

Maurice and Timewalker like this.
  14. Swedish Borg

So maybe it's the word "culture" that is inadequate then because when people say "culture" most of the time it's not something that just makes you sick.

15. Christopher

There is no such thing as a culture that has never done anything bad, and there is no such thing as a culture that has nothing good in it. American culture includes centuries of racism and genocide alongside all the good stuff like democracy and civil rights. Pretending that your own culture is faultless and pure is sheer hypocrisy, no matter what culture you're from.

History is not about picking winners and losers. It's not about convincing yourself you're better than other people. It's about understanding the factors that shape civilization, the good and bad alike. It's about understanding that our own history and heritage has as much bad in it as anyone else's, and about learning from it so we can try to do better. I believe I have ancestors on my mother's side who fought for the Confederacy; I may even have ancestors who owned slaves, though I don't know. I know my father's ancestors were in the US from the 1630s onward and thus I most likely have ancestors complicit in violence or genocide against Native Americans. There is a lot of bad in my own history, so I know I have no moral high ground to denounce anyone else's history or heritage. Everyone on Earth probably has ancestors who did evil things. So it's pointless to dwell on the evils and ugliness of the past. We should instead direct our energies toward avoiding their recurrence in the present and the future.

BK613, fireproof78 and Timewalker like this.
  16. BK613

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Maurice likes this.
  17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even chimpanzee colonies have been shown to have some "culture," meaning some learned behaviors not found in other chimp colonies. It's inconceivable for humans not to have some kind of culture.

BK613 likes this.
  18. BK613

And don't get me started on orca and other dolphins...

19. Swedish Borg

Orcas are not dolphins, they're killer whales.

They seem benign but they're actually very dangerous.

20. Christopher

Orcas are dolphins, a subgenus of the family Delphinidae.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_dolphin
    And all dolphins are very dangerous. Despite their differing reputations in human popular culture, orcas and other dolphins are behaviorally quite similar -- generally benign toward humans, but fierce predators prone to violence among themselves, as well as capable of kinder, gentler social behavior.

I've long found it interesting that humans and dolphins are much kinder to each other than they are to their own species. I figure it's because our environments and needs are so different that we don't see each other as rivals, and so our conflict instincts don't kick in. I think that bodes well for interaction with aliens (though less so in fictional universes where aliens are humanoid).

NCC-73515 and BK613 like this.