Litverse & Star Trek '09

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Apr 27, 2017.

1. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you had written something resembling actual 2018 back in (say) 2015, I'd have thrown your book in the trash.

2. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Or a really good hate-read.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Getting back to the mapping thing for a minute...since DSC seems to be incorporating bits of stuff from Star Charts and Stellar Cartography graphics...and I think we're all inclined to ignore whatever source puts Hobus at 500 lightyears away from Romulus, because if the FTL effects of that supernova were moving that far that quickly, it could only leave most of the rest of then-known-to-our-heroes space intact if it were 500 ly "straight up", along the +Z axis...

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

FWIW, Stellar Cartography puts Hobus a minimum of 14 light-years from Romulus.
    [​IMG]

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What source put it 500 light years away? That's an absurd distance.

6. DEWLine

As of this particular morning, Memory Beta is looking for the citation source to back the claim up too, for whatever that's worth.

Something else I'm writing off as absurd is the ST Online idea that a supernova could be "aimed" so as to kill the Romulan homesystem worlds but leave the planets orbiting itself mostly intact (although no longer habitable by most known species aside from Q, Organians and maybe Metrons). Whatever the distance between the two systems.

7. DEWLine

A more reasonable idea.
    And if we accept that the Romulan homestar is NN 3788 (AKA GJ 3788, AKA Wolf 487; Going from whitten.org to SIMBAD...), what stars do we currently know of that are sitting on the periphery of that 14-lightyear sphere? In any direction from the Romulan system?

(And isn't "Wolf 487" easier to remember, anyway?)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. Christopher

Hard to say at that distance. The Internet Stellar Database doesn't list any other stars within 14 light-years of that star (which it has listed under Bonner Durchmusterung -1°2832). Which means the stars near it would be too dim to have a listing, ruling out anything capable of going supernova. The nearest listed star in ISDb is 38 Virginis at 18 ly, and there are no supergiants within 50 ly.

But then, ST has a history of portraying numerous supernova stars, nebulae, and other such objects far closer to Earth than there are in real life. In a lot of ways, I wish they'd stuck with the large-Federation model and had ships roaming much further out into the galaxy than Star Charts presumes, since it would better justify the stories about all these phenomena that can't be found at close range.

9. DEWLine

This might let the production teams on the series and movies - and novel and comics writers - move a bit further once it gets done, I suspect. You've been keeping an eye on Kevin Jardine's weblog, galaxymap.org?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/galaxymap/the-first-accurate-and-detailed-map-of-the-milky-w

I also note that Kevin's building off of the GAIA DR2 database for this project. Admittedly there's flaws in the information gathered, but it covers far more volume than HIPARCOS did...

Markonian likes this.
  10. Christopher

First I've heard of it. It looks fascinating -- like Celestia but with nebulae and interstellar medium variations charted as well as stars and planets. I've always wanted something like that. I doubt very much that any Star Trek producers will ever bother to depict galactic cartography accurately -- that ship has long since sailed -- but it could be useful for hard-SF writers like li'l ol' me.

11. DEWLine

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Christopher

Oops! Now they tell me.

Oh, well. The Face of the Unknown is a better book than Seek a Newer World would've been.

15. Khan 2.0

wait a second will we be getting the Greg Cox Spock Prime novel? that's the one I most wanted to read!

Leto_II and F. King Daniel like this.
  16. Christopher

He cannibalized parts of that for No Time Like the Past, so maybe not.

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  17. Khan 2.0

Nooo :(

18. Yassa Justice

Yassa Justice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oaky, i am excited.

19. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Wasn't that covered in the Legacy of Spock comic?

Id love a novelisation of Orci's Trek 3 screenplay

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Online also just announced they're adding new Kelvin Timeline stuff, maybe it's connected? CBS just giving the go ahead to release new things?