Little Borg kids...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Itachi, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Itachi

Itachi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How do you think the show would have been if all those borg kids stayed on board Voyager? I know it probably wouldn't have altered the plot too much but just a little question that's been ringing in my head.

2. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

I liked Icheb and was glad he stuck around. I also really liked Mezoti, and would have liked to see her stay on until the end. The twins on the other hand stuck around too long as it was. They added nothing to the show for me, except some extra background props.

Of course we all know the Borg baby stayed on board, and is likely still crawling around some Jefferies tube somewhere, forgotten and alone.

3. henbane

henbane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Icheb and Mezoti were great! Voyager was the the only ST series to have good kids in it. Shame about the borg baby though.

4. Ensign Johnson

Ensign Johnson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought the borg baby must have died and that's why we didn't see him/her again. But I guess that would've been grim. I also thought Samantha Wildman had died though.

5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

This. :techman:

6. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Icheb was okay, the other kids bugged me though. Voyager's no kindergarten, even though if it was truly planning for a 70+ year generational trip, the crew should've bred like rabbits to have someone to take over when the members of the original crew kick the bucket.

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they should have done more of a case study with the kids by expolring more of how being taken by the Borg ruined them. Why weren't these kids having nightmares about being assimilated? Why did they adapt so easily being on a unknown ship like Voyager? Was Icheb smart naturally or due to being Borg?

8. exodus

They may have happened if they hadn't already introduced a hypospray contraceptive on DS9.

Plus I think folks didn't feel it was safe having children in a part of space full of Borg, Hirogen, Krenuim & Vidiian. One day you might have a child, the next they could be dead or taken. That's a frightening thought for a parent.

9. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Janeway mentioned in "Deadlock" that she was nervous about having a young child on the ship. One the one hand, they all wanted to think ahead, but on the other, it was a super dangerous place out there in the DQ. I'm pretty sure they said as much in other episodes as well, and "Once Upon a Time" shows what can happen if a parent gets hurt or killed.

10. exodus

Yup, it sho' did. :techman:

"if" Voyager was real and I was in that situation, I know I'd be afraid to bring a child into that environment. Even though Tuvok in "Once Upon A Time" was correct that Niomi is in good hands, part of me knows he was also just saying that to put Samantha at ease. There was never any guarentee that the Borg wouldn't assimilate them, especially after Janeway went poking a stick at them in "Unimatrix Zero" or a situation like "Bliss".

11. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for you. :bolian:

12. Udat

Udat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked how they dealt with them.

13. exodus

:guffaw:

Awesome!!

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

All they needed to do was make references to how Kirk and Picard were in similar circumstances with their ships being trapped in deep space and how they managed to make it back, would've perfectly justified them not having kids or planning for a generational ship.

15. exodus

The Enterprise is the flagship of the Federation.
    It can never be out of comm. reach of Starfleet.
    It's only supposed to go as far as the edges of Federation boarders.

Remember the tag line of DS9? ;)
    "It sits at the edge of the final frontier."
    That's deep space, the Enterprise hasn't been farther than that.

Kirk nor Picard were never in anything close to Janeway's situation.

16. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

They weren't stranded for long. I don't recall any incidents where they were stranded for weeks at a time. Besides, it wouldn't be an issue for Picard since there were already kids on the ship. One of the first lines on TNG mentioned a ship with children....

17. exodus

Yep, Starfleet changed it's policy about having children on a ship after the Borg invaded Federation space.

No kiddies on the Enterprise-E.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

When I refer to Kirk and Picard, I mean stuff like "Where no Man has gone before" or "Where no One has gone before"; stuff with them getting sucked into other galaxies and things yet somehow managing to make it back home a-okay.

You'd think that these events happening earlier would've made any other Captain think "Okay, this happened to those others and THEY made it back...".

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The twins should have stuck around so we could have an ep in which one of them became eeeevil. Such a waste.

20. exodus

Nope because the examples you gave doesn't compare to being lost for 7 years. Kirk nor Picard were in any situation where that had to consider rationing of food & energy to survive.