Literary Treks

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterpriserules, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Thanks! I am really looking forward to the new series and hopefully more DS9!

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Enjoyed the David R George III interview, just needed to listen in two sittings as it was a 2hr 6min show. It was nice to hear that DRG III enjoyes reading trek as much as writing it. I would say it does enhance the quality of his work as a result. Looking forward to his entry of The Fall, and the debut of the new DS9. Great show guys:bolian:

3. Enterpriserules

I think it really does enhance his writing, PoN and RtD are great examples of how his love of the ongoing story really helps him get all the details right. You can also tell he loves characters and that his stories are motivated by them first. I think he should be given DS9, the same way Beyer has been given Voyager.

4. Patrick O'Brien

Agreed, DRG III should be given DS9 as Beyer was given Voyager.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't mind if they gave each of the series to a regular writer.
    My line up:
    Voyager: Kristen Beyer
    TNG: David Mack
    DS9: DRG III
    Titan: James Swallow
    Ent.: Christopher Bennett (probably.) I'd wait for Rise of the Federation to make a final descion, but judging by how well he's the other series, I doubt there's anything to worry about.

6. Enterpriserules

I completely agree with you!

Our new episode is out now!

7. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You were wanting visual representations of Titan characters - Sword of Damocles author Geoffrey Thorne created "cartoon" versions of many of them (although that makes them sound less amazingly incredibly excellent than they actually are) in this thread here.

8. Enterpriserules

Thank you! These are really fun, I wish there was a visual representation for all the EU characters.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of my biggest disappointments with TrekLit is the lack of images for new characters, outside of DS9 and New Frontier. I understand that they want to keep the canon characters on the covers to help sell books, but I don't see why they couldn't occasionally add a new character (other than DS9 and NF) onto a cover with a canon character. I think the only TrekLit character we've seen outside of the DS9 and NF characters is Ree, and that was pretty much just a generic image of a monitor lizard. I would love to see some more Titan characters, or some Vanguard characters.

10. Enterpriserules

I really agree with you. You could even have a section on StarTrek.com for the EU and character bios, pictures, get fans into it, have a contest for the best looks. These are all easy and inexpensive ways to get the fans excited for the books.

Completely unrelated; If you have not gotten a chance, please rate and review Literary Treks in iTunes. It will help others find the show! We are excited to continue to being you authors and reviews. We have some great things lined up!

11. Enterpriserules

New Literary Treks will be out on Sunday!

12. Enterpriserules

The new episode is out! We finish the Avatar duology.

13. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just listened this morning. Excellent as always.

Regarding Avatar, it does tend to function as you say as the big two-part season opener, and I think the fact that it feels so much like that and so much like you're just watching another episode is what led people to start calling it "season 8." I know that the editors and writers have never liked that characterisation of the series, nor even the word "relaunch" (since that term was supposed to apply only to Avatar and not to the series as a whole), but one might almost say they were too successful at their task of making it feel like "more DS9" in that regard. It's just too much like the real thing for us to think of it in any other way.

Again, the two-part season opener style of the story can be compared to "The Search" or "Way of the Warrior" (and Picard's inclusion was deliberately intended to evoke "Emissary"). But I do think that if any novel was released today that looked as objectively thin on the shelf as Avatar pt 2 does, it would generate a s**tstorm of complaints from readers proclaiming that Pocket are sucking up our money for substandard product. Of course, at the time many if not most ST novels were of comparable length to Avatar 2. That's another way in which Pocket shot themselves in the foot with their too-good-ness - they raised the bar so high that our expectations were raised with it, and now we expect Twilight-sized doorstops with everything. And the DS9-R series was really where that rise in quality began. Still, I'd rather have an important, consequential-feeling slim volume than 700 pages of rubbish.

A lot of readers questioned how come Avatar came out as two novels, given how slim part 2 was. I believe it was in Voyages of Imagination that Marco Palmieri is quoted as saying that if he were doing it again now it would be one book (much in the way that Voyager's re-relaunch Full Circle was made into one book rather than two, perhaps), but that he had intended it as two full-length novels at planning stage, and at least this way we get two gorgeous covers. He's not wrong there.

You also brought up Vaughn seeming like a "new Sisko". If I recall, that was a minor bone of contention among some people, claiming that Vaughn was simply a Sisko re-run. Lost their partners to the Borg, raising their children alone, disatisfied with life, came to Bajor, encountered an Orb, new lease on life. When seeing it broken down like that one can see their point - except that all of those elements are explored in very different ways, and whatever their paths, their personalities are markedly different. I also believe, as you seemed to be implying, that those similarities were entirely deliberate on Marco and SD Perry's parts, and would have had story consequences somewhere down the road (if that road hadn't been left unfinished). Those similiarities created (for me ar least) an underlying sense that Vaughn was going to be some kind of back-up Emissary - a sense that was deliberately played with and then subverted in The Soul Key.

And a last note about furry Ferengi. I have speculated that Ferengi actually find furry things scary and unnatural because animals don't have fur on Ferenginar - it would be counter-evolutionary in the waterlogged environment. And that's why Daimons and Ferengi enforcers wear fur - because to them it's scary.

14. Enterpriserules

Every week I look forward to your notes on the episode. Thank you so much! I agree with your thoughts on the two books being one if they were released today. Honestly, I didn't have an issue with it then; I do wish that the ebook had been combined though (even though I know you can get them in the omnibus). I have never seen Vaughn as a rehash only a deliberate homage to Sisko, but with his own path.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Another great show, thanks guys. I will read Avatar in the near future as a result:)

16. Enterpriserules

Let me know what you think! :bolian:

17. Spocky8492

Spocky8492 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For the moment I cannot listen all your show because I try to avoid spoilers, but I listened the number 9, Galatic Doctors without borders and I enjoyed it a lot. I read the Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor comics and I liked it, but your show helped me to go deeper in each story, made me realise things I didn’t realise, and even helped me understand things I didn’t understand.
    As you mentioned your favorite issue of Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor I wanted to say that my favorite issue is Medics, particularly in order to discover how this people divert the purpose of the transporter. But all the issues are good, even if I agree with you that some story are too short and deserved a better development.
    Anyway, thanks for this show.

18. Enterpriserules

Thank you so much! I really loved those comics and Dr. McCoy is just a great character to read about!

This week we have Tony Daniel on the show to talk about "Devil's Bargain"!

19. Enterpriserules

This week we have a fun crossover episode with our other show The Orb and we talk to Una McCormack about Garak!

20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope Enterpriserules doesn't mind if I correct me on this a bit and point out that the G&T Show actually has gone back to their roots somewhat. Not really on the main show, but over the last month or two they have started some side shows that focus more on the books / writers:

Their Supplemental Logs, where they interview people, from TrekLit. They had William Leisner, David R. George III and Kevin Dilmore on in the last few weeks and a Michael A. Martin interview should be up soon.

And their Book of the Celestial Temple Book Club, where a panel discusses Trek novels, in their first episode they discuss Destiny.