Lines you find amusing

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Talos IV, Jan 2, 2020.

1. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are those that insist that Kirk's "That ought to be just about right." means that Star Trek is set in the 2160s. Personally I find the added century to be more plausible.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I just make allowances for the fact that it was the first season and they hadn't pinned down the date yet.

JonnyQuest037 and Qonundrum like this.
  3. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I say that when someone in Star Trek gives a date without specifying which calendar system they use, it might be a date in any calendar system that exists on Earth or might be used on Earth in the future. Thus they ware in the late 1960s, about 1965.000 to 1969.999, in an unspecified calendar.

If two centuries is some time span between 100.000 and 299.999 years, allowing for human vagueness, the indicated time span would be sometime between 2065.000 and 2269.998 in whatever calendar was used in "Tomorrow is Yesterday". If Kirk's joking reply seriously indicates he does come from sometime in the indicated time span.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In reality I'll bet we're still locked onto the earth with the same problems we face today and as far away from space travel as ever in the real twenty third century, with no Vulcan help to guide us away from our baser instincts! Just like how we should be on Mars by now according to a few old books and TV shows of the day! :thumbdown:

Lance, C57D and ZapBrannigan like this.
  5. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Just as long as the aliens who visit Earth aren’t hungry after a billion light year journey...

Lance, Qonundrum, C57D and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bairns…..My poor Bairns. Scotty.

Jason

Lance and Spock's Barber like this.
  7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recall a line from some opinion writer who said (roughly), "This is the 21st century. I thought we'd be living on the moon in cream flares by now." :lol:

Lance likes this.
  8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

What Are Little Girls Made Of was on TV on the weekend and I got to see you know what in a family time slot.If you're not looking for it you would miss it.

9. FormerLurker

Not being able to tell Sherry Jackson is discreetly covered from the back?;):whistle:

10. johnnybear

Love is illogical!
    JB

Qonundrum likes this.
  11. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Spock’s Brain....

McCoy : “I’m sure you noticed the delight aspect of this place.”

Kirk : “Yes, I certainly did notice those delightful aspects.”

12. C57D

C57D Guest

From the Corbomite Maneuver:-
    MCCOY: Finally finished a physical on you, didn't I. (Kirk leaves) What am I, a doctor or a moon shuttle conductor? If I jumped every time a light came on around here, I'd end up talking to myself.
    (Since Kirk has already left, he is talking to himself!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2020
    Lance, johnnybear and Henoch like this.
  13. Spock .

Spock . Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My favorite line is from Trouble with Tribbles, in an exchange between Dr. McCoy and Spock.
    (Dr. McCoy) "It is a human characteristic to love little animals, especially if they're attractive in some way."(Spock) "Doctor, I am well aware of human characteristics. I am frequently inundated by them, but I've trained myself to put up with practically anything."
    (Dr. McCoy) "Spock, I don't know too much about these little tribbles yet, but there is one thing that I have discovered."(Spock) "What is that, Doctor?"
    (Dr. McCoy) "I like them -- better than I like you."
    (Spock) "Doctor?"
    (Dr. McCoy) "Yes?"
    (Spock) "They do indeed have one redeeming characteristic."
    (Dr. McCoy) "What's that?"
    (Spock) "They do not talk too much. If you'll excuse me, sir."

C57D and Lance like this.
  14. FormerLurker

Kirk: Why Mister Baris, they even like you. Well, there's no accounting for taste.
    (If looks could kill, Kirk would be a small pile of ash)

C57D and Lance like this.
  15. Spock .

Spock . Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I enjoy a lot of the humor in star trek.

Some of my favorite quotes are:

Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they’ll be no tribble at all. – Scotty (The Trouble With Tribbles)

“I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar” – Mr Spock

“May I point out that I have gotten a chance to examine your counterparts closely. They are brutal, savage, uncivilized and illogical. They are in every way examples of Homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity.” – Mr Spock

(Capt. Kirk) "Why, you're right, Mister Jones. They don't like Klingons."
    (Capt. Kirk) "But they do like Vulcans. Well, Mr. Spock, I didn't know you had it in you."
    (Spock) "Obviously, tribbles are very perceptive creatures, Captain."
    (Capt. Kirk) "Obviously."

Lance likes this.
  16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

A Taste of Armegeddon
    SPOCK : Sir, there's a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder.

Lance likes this.
  17. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

How the hell did they manage to get THIS past the censors....lol

18. johnnybear

They probably didn't think the easy going viewers would ever get the significance of the scene! Or if they did it was more tongue in cheek perhaps? :lol:
    JB

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's something about the politely annoyed way Kirk says the following from The Trouble With Tribbles that always amuses me:

"Mister Baris... we've got guards around the grain, we've got guards around the Klingons."

Perfect line delivery from Shatner. :D

JonnyQuest037 and Spock . like this.
  20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the most awkward lines in the whole series, to me, is when Elaan of Troyus tells Kirk "You can not resist my love my love." Yes, I know there should be a comma between the 'my love's, but France barely put it there in her delivery. It was an awkward line, and always makes me roll me eyes that they went ahead with it.

Phaser Two and Spock's Barber like this.