Lindelof On Eve Scene (minor spoilers, hysteria, hyperbole)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, May 21, 2013.

1. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Lindelof On Eve Scene

I thought the scene was funny and fitted Kirk 'the ladies man'. It was all over TOS anyway; I think in many regards, JJ has captured the spirit of TOS better than most TOS movies have. He may have updated it in a populistic way, but I thought the scene was done very well. And besides, we have a beautiful woman in her underwear, and we're complaining..?? How will we ever overcome the 'geeky ST fan' stigma with that..? ;)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frankly I don't think there would be this mini-uproar if they had done that. It's the oddity of Alice Eve just standing there, not in her bedroom, not in a sexual scene, just standing there getting ready to go disarm torpedoes. Now it's true that she looked very hot and probably disarmed quite a few male torpedoes and there are probably guys watching it thinking "she can disarm my torpedo any day!".. and that's all lovely and stuff but the setting of her standing there was a contextless and very silly bit of T & A. It's the very definition of gratuitous and it is made MORE gratuitous by it being just her and not just one of whole lot of "hey Trek people in their underwear" scenes.

Though I thought the decon scene in ENT was gratuitous I think it became less so when you see just how much underwear scenes for both sexes that show has.. lots. It becomes a normal thing to have people in their underwear on screen.

The one thing that saved the Alice Eve scene for me (and I was not offended, just embarrassed for the movie being so lame) was that it works very well at showing Kirk's attraction to someone we know was very important in the prime timeline to him. And that was rather sweet.

3. teacake

Discussing responses intelligently might go a ways towards overcoming the desperate virgin stigma.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

You are applying knowledge of what the actress did and expecting people watching the movie to catch that and act accordingly. I see no evidence that this would happen.

I think you're giving way too much power to this movie.

You're continuing to peddle this falsehood. Why ?

Why do people want to be rich ? Or successful ? Or intelligent ? Or in shape ? Because they think it's better that way.

That's TWINE, not TND.

Well we just have different opinions about it. And I said "scar", not "scare".

5. Roald

Hey, the wink was there for a reason.
    Besides, you've already stated 'the movie was lame', so I don't think a discussion in whatever direction will make you change your mind, about the film or this one little scene. Yes, it was gratuitous; but I didn't mind. I personally thought it worked better than those de-con scenes on ENT. Trek '09 had the 'sex with farm animals' reference, which many fans also felt to be too tasteless, but I didn't mind.
    In the end, it comes down to how we perceived the film: I loved the film, so I'm willing to forgive a tiny scene like this one easier than you I guess.

6. Belz...

Ok at this point you're just fitting everything into your worldview and ignoring what people are actually telling you.

I note that the principal part of the problem is the second part, not the former. I also see no evidence of the former, which just compounds the problem, here.

Let's paint another scenario: I want to go into space like Kirk. I build a rocket with fireworks, and set myself on fire accidentally. Would that be okay ? :rolleyes:

Or maybe if you eat right and exercise a lot you'll get there, too (not space, the fitness part).

Are you misreading posts on purpose ? This is getting ridiculous.

Making movies make no sense, either, from that standpoint.

7. teacake

No, I stated the gratuitous nature of the Alice Eve in her undies scene was lame. Go back and read what I wrote. I have seen the movie 4 times to date and I absolutely love it.

8. Roald

Good to hear! Must have misread you when I read this:

Thought you meant the film itself being lame.

My mistake.

9. Belz...

That's just insane. Women have been playing with barbies for generations.

10. teacake

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I should have said "I was embarrassed for the movie's sake that the scene was so lame."

11. teacake

They have made Barbies boobs smaller in the last ten years.

12. Belz...

Probably because people were complaining that it was giving kids a false impression that large breasts are important. There's just no winning with these guys.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My wife didn't think it was gratuitous. :shrug:

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My wife is a beautiful full figured woman "of a certain age." She is a licensed counselor, highly respected in her field, whose clients have suffered physical and/or sexual abuse. We choose to not see movies with gratuitous sex or nudity, just because.

I showed her the screen cap of Eve in her undergarments and described the outrage of some fans. She rolled her eyes, laughed, and went back to her reading.

15. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I was more disturbed by her screaming across the bridge like a little girly girl when her daddy beamed her away.

16. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

She knew she was the only thing keeping her father from murdering the crew of the Enterprise. Didn't seem that far-fetched to me.

On the subject of wives not caring about the underwear scene- I'm married with two children and I couldn't care less.

17. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

How come when it comes to portraying both genders equally, it only boils down to how much skin we see?

And even when it comes to that, it's still not true. Kirk does not strip down to his underwear in that scene, nor in any other scene that I can recall. Could he be referring to the scene where he wakes up with the two female aliens that were in bed with him? Maybe, but it's a bad example for two reasons. First, despite showing Kirk getting out of bed, the camera stays focused on the two alien girls still laying in his bed with their underwear in plain sight. Second? It's a two to one ratio. That's not equal.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I imagine that being beamed without one's consent and preparation is pretty damn scary; I'm surprised the characters don't react like that more often.

But I don't care about that, really. Characters in a movie aren't people.

You can call this shot "gratuitous" or argue that it's not - doesn't make any difference, it's a matter of opinion.

My kids had Barbies, as well as Legos, crayons and American Girl dolls; they're adults now and they're just fine. Some people act as if children are fragile automatons and the job of parents is to properly program them; parents who behave that way are often most concerned with reassuring themselves and demonstrating to others that they are responsible and virtuous, and in the process teach their children to be solemnly self-obsessed.

19. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

You said it in a great way. Women who are comfortable with their bodies wouldn't be offended by this scene. I'm not ripped like her, but that's not the real world. A few men care about looks, but people don't stay together because of them. My daughter is four, but she knows that being mean to others negates any beauty on the outside. The movie world isn't the real world and why would I want it to be? I watch movies for escapism, not for pretentious commentary on how life really is.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, people can be offended by whatever offends them. Being offended doesn't automatically assign responsibility to others.

Eve isn't "ripped" by any stretch of the imagination; she looks to have a healthy percentage of body fat for a woman her age. Some people are heavier, some are thinner. My son looks like a scarecrow no matter how much he eats - I was kind of like that in my twenties, and at my age now I rather miss it. ;)