Levar Burton to be the next host of Jeopardy?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TheMadCloner, Nov 15, 2020.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Which she has since apologized for, and not recently, shortly after the whole thing blew up years ago, she apologized and even had an event to talk about it. So to me that problem is water under the bridge.

People ( Not you, just a generalization of most of twitter and the like) mention the problems, but don't read further and see if they have already apologized or taken other corrective actions. Or those who totally ignore that they have apologized and still attack them. Feels like my EX wife that constantly brought up old arguments seemingly every day. Discuss it, and move on.
    People make mistakes and change.

KennyBoo likes this.
  2. Oddish

Oddish Rear Admiral Commodore

For some reason, that makes me think about Richard Dawson in "The Running Man"... the movie got mixed reviews, but his performance as an evil game show host was considered a standout.

3. Sad Kelpian Child

Sad Kelpian Child Admiral Admiral

Public apologies that only happen after public blowback are only meaningful if their ongoing actions suggest a real change in thinking.

Even if you can get past the anti-vax and victim blaming stuff, the third one, using her professional credentials to shill snake oil is almost as bad. Selling out her medical ethics to manipulate old people into spending their retirement money. Has she apologized for that?

Anyone with a modicum of rational self interest can pay attention to what people are mad at them for and make a public gesture. If she's still manipulating old people for money it still shows a lack of moral character.

Evil Headhunter likes this.
  4. Timby

Timby That's the spirit, Thing. Lend a hand. Administrator

I have, and he's said that he'd be very interested in the hosting job, but he has never intimated that it's a dream gig or anything for him. The Internet decided that he would be the perfect host, for whatever reason--because 30-somethings grew up on Reading Rainbow, I guess?--and then basically ascribed the projection to him.

5. Dr. San Guinary

Dr. San Guinary Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    Especially since that's pretty much how Dawson treated people IRL...

6. Oddish

Ahh, the old conundrum... if you play a character who's totally like yourself... is it acting?

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it may be, but I could have sworn one of tweets had said something to the effect, if not before, then certainly after and any case, that's not so important, as I think anyone put in his position would react much the same when offered to host a legacy. Put simply, it's an incredibly daunting prospect, and he only had one day to film his episodes. Therefore, the deer-in-headlights effect. Point being that anyone, anywhere would be nervous to take on a job of this magnitude, and in this case, one which has been important to many for decades.

And yes, actually he did say it, back in 2013:
    https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/316774267733815296?lang=en

So, if anything, that's where people picked up on it. Although ironically, I noticed he mispelled Jeopardy.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  8. KennyBoo

KennyBoo I have spoken............ Moderator

Well Blossom will be filling in for at least 3 weeks worth of shows while they search.........

9. XCV666

XCV666 Premium Member

I'm going to start a movement to get Matt Berry as host. I can hear it now.

10. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Bialik is going to guest host for this week, so translates to 3 weeks of Ms. Bialik after Mikey's end run.
    Guess they had to scramble fast, and she was available this week.

edit: Ah someone beat me.. as usuall. :beer:

So they have a week to decide who's next in this Fair Ride.
    And apparently Sony like Mayim ( For the moment .. in shadow the future is.. yes..no. yes..) and guess the current plan is to have her do it for now till her sitcom scheduale comes up. but it seems that her sitcom isn't going right away so she has time at the moment.

11. KennyBoo

KennyBoo I have spoken............ Moderator

A for effort and style.......

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should just have a rotating group of guests. It might be good for ratings. Pat Sajak did it once. Can't be worse than that.

13. Oddish

If LeVar Burton's play for the job was astroturfed, who were the astroturfers?

14. Evil Headhunter

Evil Headhunter Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

From LeVar himself:

"I've thought and thought and thought — I've asked friends and family to help me identify someone out there who's more qualified for the job than I am," the Roots and Star Trek actor tells EW. "I don't believe there is anyone out there who is better suited for this job than me. And I will go to my grave believing that.

"I think my whole career is an advertisement for being the host of Jeopardy," he adds with a laugh.

- Entertainment Weekly, April 9, 2021
    Last fall, you tweeted that you feel as if you’ve been preparing your whole life for the “Jeopardy!” job. In what way? And also, why do you want the gig so badly?

It’s difficult to explain, but there’s something inside me that says this makes sense. I feel like this is what I’m supposed to do. I have been watching “Jeopardy!” more or less every night of my life since Art Fleming was host. “Jeopardy!” is a cultural touchstone, and for a Black man to occupy that podium is significant.

- The New York Times, June 28, 2021

So, no, he didn't say didn't say "dream job," but it's also very clear that he has felt passionate about becoming the host and that his career felt like it was building up to that possibility. How is that not suggesting that this is a dream for him?

Masiral, cardinal biggles and XCV666 like this.
  15. Owain Taggart

Yeah, they had jokingly switched jobs temporarily for an April Fools prank one year, but I wonder if he'd be open up to coming back as a guest host? Then again, don't know if he'd have the time.

16. Evil Headhunter

Evil Headhunter Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

On a different note, Mayim Bialik is going to be the temporary host following Mike Richards' departure.

Sony Pictures Television, which produces the long-running quiz show, announced that Bialik is scheduled to tape three weeks of episodes when production resumes this week for a total 15 episodes. Per Sony, additional guest hosts will be announced at a later date.​

17. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Age and the dignity of the program would prevent this, but it gives me a laugh inside picturing Levar Burton making an entrance as Jeopardy! host by rolling under a lowering door like he did a couple of times during engineering evacuations on TNG.

18. Owain Taggart

Complete with emergency Klaxxon and a booming voice that says, "Open the pod bay doors, HAL!" :D

Evil Headhunter likes this.
  19. Oddish

I'd settle for him wearing a Starfleet uniform.

Evil Headhunter and Smiley like this.
  20. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I didn't notice Dawson try to move in for an uninvited kiss from Arnold....

KennyBoo likes this.